• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I reside in Montgomery County with a large amount of private land. For the 2nd week in a row one of my family members has been yelled at by a person on another street stating they cannot hunt in that location. Mind you this person does not live on the same street, nor is there an established dwelling within the 150 yard limit. The person yelling is from a street that is at least 400 yards away from the tree stand. There are power lines that pass through my property and from what we know, south of the power lines is no shoot, and north of the lines is good to go, which is where the stand is.

Is there a map or guide somewhere that shows these "shooting lines" between legal and illegal? I can't seem to find anything. Is this something I should contact DNR about?

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Contact Natural Resources Police. I don't think you will find a map giving you what you want on private property.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ditto. If you are that concerned about it call DNR and ask them. They might even be willing to send an officer out to take a peak and give you the gospel.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    Montgomery County has a large area that is a no firearms zone, make sure you are not in that zone, there must be a map of that zone on line somewhere. You can only hunt with a bow in the no firearms zone. You can have firearms there, you just can not shoot them. I know I live in the zone.

Montgomery County has a large area that is a no firearms zone, make sure you are not in that zone, there must be a map of that zone on line somewhere. You can only hunt with a bow in the no firearms zone. You can have firearms there, you just can not shoot them. I know I live in the zone.

Yeah that's what I was hoping to find. Friend in PD said no discharge in "urban areas", as designated by the county. I guess no one told MS-13 in Wheaton though:D

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    My daughter lives in one part of MoCo that it is illegal to discharge a firearm. DNR doesn't have that info, you need to talk to a county officer.

I stopped a county officer in my daughters community, who immediately produced an ordnance covering the discharge of a firearm in that area. Of course it is legal to use a bow & or crossbow.

Check this out: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/pol/resources/files/pdf/weapons-law-brochure.pdf

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Once you have done your homework to make sure you are 100% legal hunting where you are then when the neighbor starts yelling call the DNR, it's Hunter Interference which unlawful in the State of Maryland. Now with that said it will start S$#% storm in the neighborhood. Chris

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    You might find the maps on this website helpful. http://www.mdmerlin.net/

Get your ducks in a row and if you're right, contact DNR to see if an officer will come out and ask that person to stop harassing you. If you're allowed to hunt, they are breaking the law by interfering.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Wow. Thanks for sharing that brochure. About as accurate as the MSP's website concerning weapons law:

It is unlawful for any person to have either concealed or exposed, or to have in a motor vehicle where it can be readily used, any gun which uses explosive ammunition unless a person is engaged in a lawful mission where it is necessary to use a gun; or is employed as a special guard, special police officer, or special detective and has been deputized by the sheriff, or has been appointed a constable, or has been licensed by the laws of the state to carry a gun and is in the immediate vicinity of the premises of any employer whose occupation requires someone to carry a gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom