• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    "A Modest Proposal".

Look it up. The writer of the article is ridiculing those who oppose hunting, in a very clever and subversive way.

Well done, Mr. Tschirgi.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    When the deer are gone

The wolves will look to the defenseless pink fleshy meat bags walking around all over the place.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    The writer of the article is ridiculing those who oppose hunting, .

"Hunters may generate revenue through license fees, they may kill deer humanely, and they are certainly generous with their catch, but we don't need them here."

Doesn't sound like ridiculing anti-hunters to me.

I tried to take it as satire, but with that comment, and the fact I have dealt with people who seriously think this kind of way, not so sure.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    "Hunters may generate revenue through license fees, they may kill deer humanely, and they are certainly generous with their catch, but we don't need them here."

I tried to take it as satire, but with that comment, and the fact I have dealt with people who seriously think this kind of way, not so sure.

Half Cocked is correct. Do yourself a favor and Google Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal".
    The title of the article is a pretty big tip off

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Clearly satire, if you read the whole thing:
    Wolves will provide other valuable services as well. With wolves, there will be no need to enforce leash laws for pets. Cats, for example, which are left to roam outside will be taken care of by the wolf pack. Burglars will be discouraged by the possibility of meeting the wolf pack during their nocturnal activities. Wolves then, will relieve the burden on our crowded kennels and court systems.

The beauty of really good satire is that it is just on the edge of plausible.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I think in the same spirit, a couple of hundred breeding pairs of anacondas around Silver Spring and Bethesda would also help them with their deer populations.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

Are you serious? :sad20:

This isn't just satire - it's scathingly obvious satire.

Read everything except what you just bolded.

Dr Dano HPR

Mar 4, 2013
    Towson
    Some people better recalibrate their satire meters. I believe the original "Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift was about eating the surplus children in workhouses in England. Well done letter and probably flew under the radar of our liberal "intelligentsia" and "journalistic elites".

Stand Corrected: About excess children in Ireland. Letter is clearly satire. I should learn to "Bing" first than rely on my memory.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

So when is the last time someone against hunting said anything nice about hunters, much less 3 things in one sentence.

I like the idea, in addition to hunting of course. Populations of deer and wandering cats are out of control, although they are not the only damaging wildlife around HoCo, wolves could help control the population of yuppie joggers and bicyclists, maybe even those driving cars that mimic small sick and wounded prey like the Smart and Prius.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Are you serious? :sad20:

This isn't just satire - it's scathingly obvious satire.

Read everything except what you just bolded.

HC-I guess years of dealing with rabid anti hunters and the way they think had me taking it seriously. This is literally the kind of thing they would propose to get rid of hunting, I have hear much wackier things come out of their mouths.

I had never heard of "Modest Proposal" or Jonathan Swift.

Sorry I am a gullible moron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom