• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Just an fyi...rage fly about the same as target tips...some broadheads fly different than target tips. So make sure you get a target that can handle broad heads and use what you are going to hunt with to sight it in.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Ok, so come over tomorrow after 6, I have the target set up some extra bolts,field points and broad heads in two different weights. We get you sighted in then Saturday you can shot a few more and if you feel comfortable you can be in my stand Saturday evening.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Fyi

When hunting the crossbow is not considered loaded, if no bolt is in a cocked crossbow.

The safest way to unload a crossbow, is to shoot a field point into the dirt.

A guy I met this weekend was able to unload his crossbow just by grabbing the string on both sides and slowly pulling it back to unlatch the trigger.

I told him that everyone says to shoot a bolt into the ground.

I don't know if I can do that with my Parker or not.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    A guy I met this weekend was able to unload his crossbow just by grabbing the string on both sides and slowly pulling it back to unlatch the trigger.

Depends how strong the person is, and how they like westling with the crossbow.

It's way easier to keep a field point in the quiver and discharge the crossbow in a safe location.

Discharge by shooting is also taught that way in the Basic Hunter Education, and advanced Bow Hunting courses.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

I saw someone try to do that once, slip, and dry fire the crossbow and break the string. $650 mistake due to sweaty palms (once you dry fire the crossbow and break the string, good chance the limbs are shot). It was the funniest, saddest, and scariest thing I had seen involving a crossbow. Luckily no fingers were hurt.

Some bows are designed so that you can do this with the built in crank. But after that, I'll choose the $7 arrow and $20 bag before I try to manually de-cock it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

I wouldnt want to try it...sounds like a good way to lose a finger or two...

If someone is worried about discharging it into the ground get a field tip and a crossbow bag/block...:thumbsup:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I wouldnt want to try it...sounds like a good way to lose a finger or two...

If someone is worried about discharging it into the ground get a field tip and a crossbow bag/block...:thumbsup:

ten point sell disposable bolts.. $10/6

buhring (sp) sells reusable bolts..$19 at dicks if i recall correctly. it has a round ring at the front so it doesnt go too deep in the ground.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I saw someone try to do that once, slip, and dry fire the crossbow and break the string. $650 mistake due to sweaty palms (once you dry fire the crossbow and break the string, good chance the limbs are shot). It was the funniest, saddest, and scariest thing I had seen involving a crossbow. Luckily no fingers were hurt.

Some bows are designed so that you can do this with the built in crank. But after that, I'll choose the $7 arrow and $20 bag before I try to manually de-cock it.

He had grey hair and didn't look that big or strong. He just kinda nonchalantly unloaded his crossbow.

Yeah, I use the Carbon Express unloading bolt too. Except Saturday night I fired it into what i thought was a dirt bank and found out it was solid rock...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom