• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    A retiree at work just celebrated his retirement and bought himself a new crossbow. He's selling his old one, which is by no means old, actually. $80 and I get a nice recurve crossbow with a red-dot sight.

Might be some bambi hunting for me this fall!! :party29:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Congrats

What type? Anyway to use a barnett crossbow cocking string to make it easier on yourself?

Pay particular attention to the length of the bolt. Smaller than the recommended bolt size may damage the crossbow.

Look for crossbow rail lube and string wax. To be applied liberally every 4th or 5th shot.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    He said he would give me a couple of target bolts with it. I am going to make sure it accepts a cocking device, because there's no way I'll be able to cock it without. He's an older guy, though, so I assume it will.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Fyi

When hunting the crossbow is not considered loaded, if no bolt is in a cocked crossbow.

The safest way to unload a crossbow, is to shoot a field point into the dirt.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Congrats!

Bambi whacking season in T-33 hours.

All crossbows should "accept" a rope cocking device, at least (different from a crank - which needs to be installed). Weight/length of bolt (with broadhead) is critical for accuracy. Some like mechanical broadheads (Rage or G5 T3) others will shoot plain old thunderheads straight (unfortunately, mine wont). Like rifles and ammo, some crossbows are more sensitive than others.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    He has used it to kill deer in the past, so I will be polling him on what works best. Really hoping to get something this year. Went out once last year and had a great time.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    He said he would give me a couple of target bolts with it. I am going to make sure it accepts a cocking device, because there's no way I'll be able to cock it without. He's an older guy, though, so I assume it will.

Never underestimate old man strength:lol2:;) Post a pic of your new to you bow when you get it!

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Fyi

When hunting the crossbow is not considered loaded, if no bolt is in a cocked crossbow.

The safest way to unload a crossbow, is to shoot a field point into the dirt.
    shoot it into a target not the dirt. Then you dont risk a possible ricochet, or hit a rock and break splinter the carbon arrow. I carry my target with me when I take my xbow hunting.

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    A retiree at work just celebrated his retirement and bought himself a new crossbow. He's selling his old one, which is by no means old, actually. $80 and I get a nice recurve crossbow with a red-dot sight.

Might be some bambi hunting for me this fall!! :party29:
    I'm usually out every weekend and some week days throughout the season in the northern baltimore county area if you need a hand let me know. Tomorrow is the first season opener I have missed in 10 years, its just going to be too warm.

Good luck and stay safe!

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I'm using a buddies xbow and going out for archery season for the first time. Also my first official opening day! can't wait. I'll be over in Liberty.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Here she is. *weeps* God bless old fellas who put all their retirement gift money in $1200 bows and pass their old ones along to new hunters.

DeerKiller_zps0aa4d6dd.jpg

A side view.
    DeerKiller2_zps5480b59c.jpg

Wes and I are going to sight it in tomorrow. :rockon:

I haven't had a chance to pull the manual out and look at it, as I have to be back at school shortly for B2S night. No idea what type it is, other than a recurve, and confirmed deer killer. He did tell me that I need to try shooting my hunting broadheads (or ones made for target that are the same weight without a sharp edge) in order to get a feel for how it targets for the hunting bolts. Said it was off when he first shot his hunting bolts. The arrows he gave me are mostly target tips, and one older hunting tip that I will replace.

What kind of tips do you all use? What types work best?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    For practice you use field tips (small and pointy)
    For hunting use Broadheads (razor blades)

Both need to be the same weight. When you buy broadheads, they can be no smaller than 7⁄8 of an inch

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    The state park just put up nice new targets at the Gunpowder range. Its the one at the end of Ebenezer road.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    The state park just put up nice new targets at the Gunpowder range. Its the one at the end of Ebenezer road.

Are they safe for crossbow bolts? I've heard they have a nice park there and will check it out.

Also, how do you all store yours? Can I hang it in my closet by the toe bar thing? It came with a huge carry case but the case adds about 50% to the overall size, and it's a soft case.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Here she is. *weeps* God bless old fellas who put all their retirement gift money in $1200 bows and pass their old ones along to new hunters.

DeerKiller_zps0aa4d6dd.jpg

A side view.
    DeerKiller2_zps5480b59c.jpg

Wes and I are going to sight it in tomorrow. :rockon:

I haven't had a chance to pull the manual out and look at it, as I have to be back at school shortly for B2S night. No idea what type it is, other than a recurve, and confirmed deer killer. He did tell me that I need to try shooting my hunting broadheads (or ones made for target that are the same weight without a sharp edge) in order to get a feel for how it targets for the hunting bolts. Said it was off when he first shot his hunting bolts. The arrows he gave me are mostly target tips, and one older hunting tip that I will replace.

What kind of tips do you all use? What types work best?

I use Rage and G5 mechanical. I have tried many, keep going back to those. All broadheads work, but the issue for me is accuracy. These two are the most accurate for my bow.

btw, I would NOT use standard targets (some ranges don't allow crossbows on their targets). My crossbow blows clean through most target blocks with broadheads. The crossbow "block" is excellent, but I still need a good backstop.

I hang mine by the footstrap thingie.

Attachments

• scared deer 2.jpg
      scared deer 2.jpg
      8 KB · Views: 177

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    The gunpowder range does allow crossbows and the targets work just fine with the bolts. They do not allow broadheads. Its kind of a pain to find somewhere else to dial in the point of impact with the broadheads but I understand the rule since they have such nice target frames, targets, etc... Its has to be a lot of money and/or volunteer hours to keep that place up.
    As far as storage, I keep bows hung on the standard rubber clad hook you can get from a big box hardware store. It hangs from the pulleys and not on the string. I have a case for it that it lives in most of the season. The case is good for leaving it in the truck and not worrying about it banging around and getting damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom