• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    So once upon a time I bought a movie prop. It can be made a functional black powder pistol with drilling a hole, so Im told.

Anyone here know a gunsmith that can handle this?

My Assault Musket:
    assaultmusket.jpg

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    id be leary on doing it.. you dont know how that prop is made.. if it can handle the pressure.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Yeah... That is why I am asking.

This is the origin for more complete information on a correct decision.

http://www.militaryheritage.com/pistol1.htm

Edit: (on their page)
    Non-Firing State

We sell historically accurate muskets in a non-firing state. A certified gunsmith may alter these pistols to a firing state by drilling the vent hole and test firing it. PLEASE NOTE: Pistols are considered restricted weapons in Canada and in a number of other countries. Please consult with local authorities before making or converting any replica pistol into a firing state. We are not legally responsible for any alteration from its present state, nor any infractions of the law by the owner.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    cyanide case-hardening factory process that makes sparking both more reliable and longer lasting

I wonder if this also throws particles of cyanide a couple of feet from your face.

Dec 31, 2012
    The 'test fire' part is what catches my attention. The barrel has not been proofed! They come with 'historic proofing markings'.
    Drill a hole, put it in a vice, and pull the trigger with a string. Repeat. Many times. Take all advice at your own risk.

There are some black powder guns made in India that come with no hole drilled for importation purposes. When you buy them the drill bit is included. I nearly bought one until I read more and learned that quality varies and there is no proofing done. You may get a working gun or a working pipe bomb depending on that day's production run. I didn't roll those dice.

Dec 31, 2012
    I wonder if this also throws particles of cyanide a couple of feet from your face.

"We use a cyanide case-hardening factory process that makes sparking both more reliable and longer lasting. Presently no other musket provider uses this technique."

Yeah, you have to wonder why no one else uses it.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    maybe.. lets find out..

hey op.. can you lick the barrel and tell us.. :lol2:

Sure thing. Best deal is I accept personal responsibility for licking the barrel. I will not blame you at all for honoring your request. If I die of cyanide poisoning a few weeks from now I wont blame you.

I apologize for the crappy pic, but gimme a break I was licking a gun and taking a pic over my shoulder. See I try to please.

musketlick.jpg

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I can pretty much guarantee you won't die of cyanide poisoning in a few weeks after ingestion.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Sure thing. Best deal is I accept personal responsibility for licking the barrel. I will not blame you at all for honoring your request. If I die of cyanide poisoning a few weeks from now I wont blame you.

I apologize for the crappy pic, but gimme a break I was licking a gun and taking a pic over my shoulder. See I try to please.

musketlick.jpg

:lol2::thumbsup::thumbsup:

oupa

Apr 6, 2011

:lol:

I have a one-off flintlock made by a guy who used to work at a certain military depot. The frizzen is faced with a thin sheet of "something" that sparks fabulously but I was told will show radioactivity on detection instruments.:innocent0

If you find a smith who can/will do the work, he is capable of determining if the gun is worthy of it. That is to say SAFE. Get it checked professionally before agreeing to any work to make it functional.

IF the barrel is worthy, the mod is simple. If the barrel is not actual gun barrel material, making it functional AND trying to shoot it could have the same result as holding an exploding grenade.:skull:

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    BTW since others have referred to "proof" I thought a little background info on it may be in order.
    In virtually every other arms producing country on earth there is a government "proof house" that determines / warranty's that guns and ammo sold in that country meet safety standards. In Europe the standards are (for the most part) recognized from country to country under the CIL standards. In The States it's SAAMI that sets the standards not the government! SAAMI stands for Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute. It is a private group funded (as the name implies) by the manufacturers themselves. It is mandatory to be a member if you want to do business. SAAMI & CIL specs are not necessarily the same but they are close enough to be interchangeable.

ANYWAY... "proofing" a barrel is done by actually firing it with an over-pressure load. The generally accepted standard is three shots @ 3X normal pressure. These three pressure test loads (sometimes inaccurately referred to as "blue pills") are usually fired in conjunction with several regular rounds but the effect is to make sure the barrel withstands the punishment. Oh and just to reinforce the folly of excessively lubricating a gun bore, some proof houses use "oiled cartridges" of standard manufacture to replicate the "over-pressure" effects.
    The barrel (or gun) is meticulously measured before the first shot and then re-measured after the tests to determine it's status.

Here's a link that should be of interest, detailing one man's visit and experiences with the london Proof House.

Dec 31, 2012
    BTW since others have referred to "proof" I thought a little background info on it may be in order.
    In virtually every other arms producing country on earth there is a government "proof house" that determines / warranty's that guns and ammo sold in that country meet safety standards. In Europe the standards are (for the most part) recognized from country to country under the CIL standards. In The States it's SAAMI that sets the standards not the government! SAAMI stands for Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute. It is a private group funded (as the name implies) by the manufacturers themselves. It is mandatory to be a member if you want to do business. SAAMI & CIL specs are not necessarily the same but they are close enough to be interchangeable.

ANYWAY... "proofing" a barrel is done by actually firing it with an over-pressure load. The generally accepted standard is three shots @ 3X normal pressure. These three pressure test loads (sometimes inaccurately referred to as "blue pills") are usually fired in conjunction with several regular rounds but the effect is to make sure the barrel withstands the punishment. Oh and just to reinforce the folly of excessively lubricating a gun bore, some proof houses use "oiled cartridges" of standard manufacture to replicate the "over-pressure" effects.
    The barrel (or gun) is meticulously measured before the first shot and then re-measured after the tests to determine it's status.

Here's a link that should be of interest, detailing one man's visit and experiences with the london Proof House.

great link, thanks :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom