• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dentman217

Aug 2, 2012
    I am building my first AR i am cosidering a few things. Anyone with experiance please respond.

Already purchased:
    Engage duex lower (when recieve it)
    Palmetto lowr build kit
    BCM midddy upper with MOE handguard less bcg and carging handle

1st anti rotation pins yes or no and what brand

2nd am considering Joe Bobs NiB BCG(first choiceunless convinced by your input) spikes or other brand standard or NiB BCG
    and is the bcm charging handle worth the extra $

3rd any recomendations for longevity due to the direction the state is going as well federal hypocrites. ie anti rotation pins tips dos or donts based on your experiance

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Looks decent.

On the BCG, if you are getting a BCM upper, just stick with the BCM BCG. You won't find one better made, and you can save extra cash on:

1. Training
    2. Ammo
    3. Training

As far as anti rotation pins. I just don't get those. At all. It's a solution without a problem.

dentman217

Aug 2, 2012
    thanks

Thank you for response the upper does not include BCG should i get Joe Bobs at 70 bucks less than bcm or stick with bcm and is NiB worth the extra $

Firespectrum

Mar 19, 2013
    College Park
    I've built 6 ARs, all but two from PSA stripped lowers. If you can get them, their "blemished" lowers are a fantastic value. I couldn't find the blemish on the two I've had.

If you don't have a lot of tools, the CMMG LPK has pins that go in really easy, which is the most frustrating part. I find a jeweler's hammer with one brass end and one hard plastic end is very useful if you're trying to do it without scratching the finish. Use painter's tape around where the pin you're installing because you WILL slip and knick the receiver at some point. An appropriate sized punch will also be needed. I don't know what the sizes are, I just bought a set.

BCG is your preference. Any mil-spec phosphate BCG from a reputable place is good enough for me, but if you've got money to blow on the good stuff more power to ya. Personally, I don't think right now is the time to be paying for a name unless it's all you can find.

Anti-rotation pins smell like snake oil to me. I've never used them and never heard of anyone who's had that problem. They're probably just capitalizing on the "AR-15s are completely unreliable" myth. If you need the warm and fuzzy feeling, I would just have a whole set of spares lying around.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Thank you for response the upper does not include BCG should i get Joe Bobs at 70 bucks less than bcm or stick with bcm and is NiB worth the extra $

I went to Joe bobs and did not see their BCG. Are you referring to the Spikes, JP or WMD they're selling? If it's well made, then save the $70 and go with it. There are lots of good BCG's out there. I just assumed your upper would come with one. Things to look for: properly staked gas key and an HP/MP tested bolt. Other than that, don't get hung up on it.

I'm not of fan of NiB either. I've been shooting ARs for (jeez) almost 30 years now, and I've never felt (or seen) the need. They *might* be an improvement, but not one I feel the need to pay for.

dentman217

Aug 2, 2012
    thanks for the help in response to the psa i was about to jump but at 450 i got the bcm i know its just a name but so many high regards to the quality and at 50 dollars more than psa it was a no brainer for me and even with the chaos it came in three days.
    again I must say this site is very helpful thanks for all the advice

dentman217

Aug 2, 2012
    I was referring to the one joe bobs is offering to md shooter members this is of course after the 50 posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom