• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firespectrum

Mar 19, 2013
    College Park
    I have a CMP M1 Garand with muzzle erosion of 2 and throat erosion of 2 1/2.

The groups leave something to be desired so I'd like to find local smith who can install a new Criterion Barrel. I don't feel comfortable headspacing it myself.

I want to turn it into a tack-driver so suggestions for scope mounting and optics from experienced Garand guys would also be appreciated!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Those numbers don't sound bad to me. I would check other things before replacing the barrel.

First, what sort of groups are you getting?

How is the lockup of the trigger group? Have you done a tilt test? Could the op rod be binding? Is your upper handguard a bit loose? Is the gas cylinder tight?

There is a Garandsmith in Catonsville, if it comes to that

What kind of Garand? WWII Rack Grade Springfield? Correct Grade HRA? What kind of stock: old worn out USGI, new CMP birch, old Greek Palletwood?.

The new replacement stocks from the CMP need a bit of fitting. That's very likely your problem.

Why try to scope it? Why not make it John C Garand Match legal and come out to the matches?

Oh, welcome to the forum by the way.

Do tell us a bit about your Garand!

Firespectrum

Mar 19, 2013
    College Park
    Threeband,

Well, I don't know anything about Garands other than I really wanted one...

It's a Korean War Era Service Grade HRA from CMP.

This is really embarrassing, but by "bad groups", I mean I could barely get it on paper at 50 yards. Each click seems to move it way too much. I assumed I was just sucking so I gave it to an old-timer at the range who had a Garand. He was doing better than me, but he was still all over the place. He said the muzzle was probably too eroded.

I don't know what you mean by trigger "lockup", but there's noticeable slack before you feel it engage the sear. Once it catches, there isn't much creep and it was better than I expected from a military trigger. In fact, I love the trigger so much it was extra disappointing I was having problems.

I just did a tilt test using this procedure (your post was the first time I'd heard of that):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlIoxbtdPXY

It slid back from the closed bolt position freely after 45 degrees, but it did not fall back freely to the closed position until I tilted it 50-60 degrees. This was without the stock. Will I need to take it to a Garand doctor to fix this?

The stock feels snug when it's put together, but the forwardmost section of wood near the muzzle feels loose.

The only reason I wanted to scope it is because I don't own a bolt gun and I thought the Garand could pull double-duty as a hunting rifle if the need ever arises. I love shooting iron sights and I don't actually hunt, so I'm not completely set on a scope yet.

Thanks for the very helpful post BTW!

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    There is no way the barrel is to blame. 2 @ the muzzle is not bad many newer barrels were 1+ from the factory. Something else is going on.

Not saying you will have the perfect tqck driver you are asking for but something else is causing it. First thing I would check are he sights. Make sure both are tight. Sounds silly but I had an M1 that did the same and it drove me nuts until I found the issue now its very accurate with a little fitting done after I fixed the sights.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    The best M1 guys on the planet are at Orion 7. You would have to ship the gun, but it is well worth the time.

They have done a lot of work for us, perfect and quick every time.

http://www.m1garand.com/

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I also had a problem with loose sights. The resr was dropping under recoil. I'd you get too frustrated. I'll gladly take it off your hands!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The only way it could be the barrel is if somehow the CMP people had overlooked serious crown damage. Very unlikely. If that were the case, I'm sure you could exchange it.

I really, really don't think it's the barrel. It's probably a simple tune-up sort of adjustment, or even loose sights.

It could be the stock. I'll bet you have a new replacement stock. Those typically need some fitting. Do the tilt test with the stock installed to see if the op rod is rubbing wood. I had to remove wood on my Service Grade. I'll see if I can post some links for you later. It also could be the gas cylinder, could be a lot of things.

I did think of the sights. I have had the front sight start moving around while I was shooting. It's happened on two different rifles - I made two or three windage adjustments until I realized the front sight was migrating. I now carry a 3/16 allen wrench with my Garand stuff. Should be on the combo tool. More likely the rear sight in your case. Windage and elevation can both shift. Make sure the screw on the elevation knob is snug- I've had my rear sight shift while shooting, too.

Lube the bolt and the chamber area where the op rod rubs before doing the tilt tests (both in and out of the stock). Google "M1 Garand Grease Points."

"Lock up" refers to how tight the trigger group locks up when you assemble the rifle. It's probably very tight in a new stock. You may even need a mallet to lock it. Old stocks can be loose.

Firespectrum

Mar 19, 2013
    College Park
    Thanks for all the great replies!

I will look into tightening the sights and making sure the op rod isn't rubbing on wood.

A forum member has offered to inspect the weapon, so hopefully that will shed some light on the matter.

I was actually going to buy a special grade M1 and sell this one, but I figured I should ask about it first. Glad I did! .... I still might get another one though - I just got a new credit card...

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks for all the great replies!

I will look into tightening the sights and making sure the op rod isn't rubbing on wood.

A forum member has offered to inspect the weapon, so hopefully that will shed some light on the matter.

I was actually going to buy a special grade M1 and sell this one, but I figured I should ask about it first. Glad I did! .... I still might get another one though - I just got a new credit card...

Buy another one anyway.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I just talked to him. It's a GI stock, so that shouldn't cause any issues. The front sight screw was also tight, so that's not going anywhere. His rear sight was on the loose side. He could push it back down by hand after turning it out all the way. His gas screw was so loose that he could turn it by hand. Those may be the issues. I invited him out to the range with us on Saturday, so hopefully we can test this thing out.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    He's probably lucky he got a GI stock, but it might be loose. If it is, he could probably swap for a new stock PLUS a can of ammo or two. There are lots of subtleties affecting Garand accuracy such as the fit of the handguards, and the staking of the stacking swivel screw. The gas cylinder might be loose. It's not hard to peen the splines.

I also wonder about the bench rest technique, as well as the expectations of the shooter himself.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    "His rear sight was on the loose side. He could push it back down by hand after turning it out all the way." that's how loose mine was when it was dropping when firing.
    Im sure gas plug isn't helping.
    Question to the guys- how tight should your gas cylinder be? Mine seems a little loose. It wobbles ever so slightly and is easily removable by hand.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I also wonder about the bench rest technique, as well as the expectations of the shooter himself.

He's ex-Army, so his shooting is decent and he knows how to shoot with a sling. He said if he can get it zeroed and shooting 4MOA groups with CMP Greek ammo, he'd be fine with it.

Question to the guys- how tight should your gas cylinder be? Mine seems a little loose. It wobbles ever so slightly and is easily removable by hand.

Some WWII era barrels had the splines cut on the large side. That's why a lot of gas tubes had saw cuts through them. The idea was that you can tighten them down by turning the front sight screw tighter. The Army manual specifies not to remove the gas tube for routine cleaning.

My 1946 dated barrel has the gas tube on loosely enough that I can notice a little wobble. I can slide the gas tube off by hand. However, that doesn't stop me from shooting 97/100's (on an SR-1 at 100 yards) with it. The one I have with a 1952 dated barrel has a tight fitting gas tube. There is no side to side wobble that I can discern. On that one I need to tap the gas tube off with a block of wood. I can also shoot 97/100's with it. Neither have saw cuts.

Saw cut to tighten gas cylinder.
    2003464d.jpg

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Lightly peen one side of the slots where it slides on to the barrel just enough to take out the play and it will be fine. If you want to have your Garand checked over, Charlie Maloney is top notch. I have known Charlie for years and he is the guy I go to for work on Garands or M1A's.

Do Not Saw Cut!

Firespectrum

Mar 19, 2013
    College Park
    Judging from my conversation with Ken792, it looks like there are a lot of little things I need to do. I can't wait to get her out to the range with some folks that can get her dialed in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom