• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7's

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 22, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Is it possible to weld this? Anyone tried or know what kind of steel it is? Any info would be greatly appreciated as I have 2 with cracked slides and the cracks are both at the ejection port to the bottom of the slide. I have not yet been able to find any slides or parts guns to be able to replace the slides.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Not uncommon. A proper repair will equal or exceed the value of the pistol. Not worth it. Hot ammo and pieces of spent brass getting jammed inside the chamber can cause it. Other times it's plain-old metal fatigue. Cut your losses by selling what parts you can.

7's

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 22, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Not uncommon. A proper repair will equal or exceed the value of the pistol. Not worth it. Hot ammo and pieces of spent brass getting jammed inside the chamber can cause it. Other times it's plain-old metal fatigue. Cut your losses by selling what parts you can.

If possible I could do the welding myself, just wondering if the metal is of a grade that takes to welding. I'd rather not just give up but I do have 2 others that are in good firing order

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Problem is the risk. So far it's a cracked slide. Next time could be a kaboom with injury to you.

7's

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 22, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Well, I guess maybe I will strip them down for parts and sell off what I do not need then. Any ideas what would make them crack there?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    All 52 failures I have seen are slides, idk why but that's the weak points.

Some surplus tok ammo I have heard is loaded hot. Not sure what surplus it was though.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Used to be you could find CZ-52 parts on GB and such. Not now. :sad20:
    Fact is you'd prob'ly get a lot more for the parts you have than you paid for the pistol. It may be time to let it go.

7's

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 22, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Well the good part of this is that I have 2 good shooters and 2 with the cracked slide issue and it is pretty thin where they are broke and judging by what I can see from the break it looks pretty cheap in they way of grade of the steel so I will probably strip them both for parts keeping one as my parts and sell the parts from the other on GB

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    DO NOT attempt to weld it back together... Unless you have equipment to fully anneal it, data on how it should be heat treated, a heat treating oven and hardness testing equipment. I'm betting you don't. It would cost you FAR less to buy a few more of them.

<-- professional gunsmith

7's

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 22, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Slide is about $60
    https://www.buymilsurp.com/slide-stripped-cz52-cz52-cz-52-pistol-p-413.html

Look around APEX had them at $25 at one time. Hot ammo does it. Maybe not today but for sure tomorrow.

I'll do some looking and see what if any I can find

DO NOT attempt to weld it back together... Unless you have equipment to fully anneal it, data on how it should be heat treated, a heat treating oven and hardness testing equipment. I'm betting you don't. It would cost you FAR less to buy a few more of them.

<-- professional gunsmith

I only have the welder but have a few friends that are machinests that do have all of that but its really not worth the time at this point

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    That's another internet myth. It's usually Czech ammo that's cited as being higher pressure. It is not. Accurate Arms tested a bunch, and found none to be markedly higher in pressure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom