• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    First time hunter need some advice on gear to buy mainly clothing not trying to break the bank just some basics to get started. PS I hate the cold.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    ***Avoid Velcro At All Costs***

Rip open a pocket at O-Dark-Thirty and you'll alert every deer within earshot.

Outside of that, long johns and surplus camo, with buttons, would get you started.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Some great deals on thermal underwear now that the weathers warm. I love my insulated coveralls....like wearing a comforter. Id recommend buying a size bigger for cold weather layering. Also, dont skimp on boots. Rockys have been a decent brand.

You mentioned cold so Im assuming you are looking to hunt deer.

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Some great deals on thermal underwear now that the weathers warm. I love my insulated coveralls....like wearing a comforter. Id recommend buying a size bigger for cold weather layering. Also, dont skimp on boots. Rockys have been a decent brand.

You mentioned cold so Im assuming you are looking to hunt deer.

Yes, mainly deer I'm close enough to PA, VA, and WV that I have options.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    If you plan on being a die-hard type, and you plan to hunt in snow and rain, you’re gonna need waterproof clothing. Gore Tex is probably your best bet but other types of waterproof membranes also work well (Dry Plus for instance). In my opinion, you won’t go wrong with Cabelas brand clothing, and they won’t break the bank. If cost is an issue, Under Armour base layers are worth paying a little extra, but their outerwear is super-extra-crazy expensive.

Bass Pro RedHead brand also puts out some nice clothes. Try also to get a few different camo patterns. One with greens for early season, greys and browns for when the leaves turn & dry/start falling. For the colder months once the leaves fall a more open pattern with more greys & whites.

I’d further advise: Don’t cheap out on boots, pants, or jacket(s), or insulating base layers in cold weather. Other garments can skate by cheaper.

I hope this helps some. Good luck.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    Wool is your friend. If normal wool makes your skin itch, go with merino wool. Keeps you warm even when wet.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I use the cheapest Midway has on sale, with no issues.

My wife bought me nice Danner insulated boots for Christmas, and that made a huge difference.

The gloves that have mittens which pull back to expose fingers are really handy.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Don't waste your money on expensive camo, surplus is just as good and probably and better.

Layer up with fleece or wool.

When sitting is a stand don't be afraid to use the quilted over boots. They are twice a warm as any boots out there for guys like me that have feet that sweat a lot.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    These are the best boots I have ever owned, however they still aren't always good enough for Wisconsin Deer Season. When My feet get cold with these I remove them, change socks and put on Ravenwear booties and Boot blankets. Ravenwear closed up last year though. For Maryland it would be hard to get these boots to fail you. If you have a long hike to your stand I would suggest wearing hiking boots then change into these with dry socks. And a boot dryer so they are dry the next morning. These liners comes out so they dry faster. If you have cold feet the rest doesn't matter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E5CS2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Stan,

It would help if you listed the type of hunting you want to do? Bow? Muzzle Loader? Firearm?

As stated before, Velcro is a deal breaker.

Bow season will last from the hot days of September to the bone chilling cold of January. During the warm days you will want to wear a moisture wicking material, because you will be sweating a good bit, even if you are sitting still in a stand.

Early Muzzle-loader is in October when the weather is at it most seasonal. A light jacket, non-insulated shoes/boots works well.

After that, the weather can just be cold. Warm waterproof boots are the ticket. You will need to learn layering your clothing.

For all of the seasons try to stay away from laundry detergent that has UV brighteners in it. You will look like a blue blob in the woods to deer. treatments like UV-Killer is a apply once application, as long as you do not wash with UV brighteners again.

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Stan,

It would help if you listed the type of hunting you want to do? Bow? Muzzle Loader? Firearm?

As stated before, Velcro is a deal breaker.

Bow season will last from the hot days of September to the bone chilling cold of January. During the warm days you will want to wear a moisture wicking material, because you will be sweating a good bit, even if you are sitting still in a stand.

Early Muzzle-loader is in October when the weather is at it most seasonal. A light jacket, non-insulated shoes/boots works well.

After that, the weather can just be cold. Warm waterproof boots are the ticket. You will need to learn layering your clothing.

For all of the seasons try to stay away from laundry detergent that has UV brighteners in it. You will look like a blue blob in the woods to deer. treatments like UV-Killer is a apply once application, as long as you do not wash with UV brighteners again.

I will be hunting the firearms season VA as well as MD.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you plan on being a die-hard type, and you plan to hunt in snow and rain, you’re gonna need waterproof clothing. Gore Tex is probably your best bet but other types of waterproof membranes also work well (Dry Plus for instance). In my opinion, you won’t go wrong with Cabelas brand clothing, and they won’t break the bank. If cost is an issue, Under Armour base layers are worth paying a little extra, but their outerwear is super-extra-crazy expensive.

Bass Pro RedHead brand also puts out some nice clothes. Try also to get a few different camo patterns. One with greens for early season, greys and browns for when the leaves turn & dry/start falling. For the colder months once the leaves fall a more open pattern with more greys & whites.

I’d further advise: Don’t cheap out on boots, pants, or jacket(s), or insulating base layers in cold weather. Other garments can skate by cheaper.

I hope this helps some. Good luck.

I do a mix of wool, surplus and Cabela’s and Midway house brands. The later of which I tend to buy when they are on clearance. For example I have some Herter’s (owned by Cabela’s now) Bibs and Parka that are easily good down to 0F or so for a sit for about $60 each on clearance instead of around $180 or each regular price.

The surplus stuff, I’ve found multicam is a decent pattern and some multicam ACUs are my go to down to high 40s in the mornings when it’ll warm up more later. They work decently to turn thorns and stuff when headed off path. Not thorn proof, but resistant. I’ll usually wear a thermal base layer under that when sitting in the mornings and then take it off and toss it in my pack if I am going to still hunt later in the day (which I normally do from about 9:30 or 10am till about 3pm).

I have a couple of LL Bean commando wool sweaters with the shoulder patches that are really warm that I use as a base layer as well and swear by them. Also got on sale. I also use them when shotgunning in cooler weather, because better shoulder padding.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Check sites like Camofire.com, who sell a lot of surplus hunting gear. It changes deals every 24 hours.

If you are hunting later in the season definitely get something that's windproof. You can get some decent stuff through Midway USA sometimes but they usually aren't something that absorbs your scent. Not a deal breaker, you just need to be careful is all.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Stan-

My two cents: spend some money on a good base layer (check out LL Bean Merino Wool long underwear and thick wool socks). Get a bottom outer that is overalls - you will want a layer that covers your low back if you'll be hunting deer in late November. You can go less expensive on your outer layer while you're still determining if this will be a long-term pursuit for you. Get some lacrosse or muck brand boots with a mid-weight thermal lining.

Also, spend some money and get a good warm hat that has a bill to keep the sun out of your eyes.

Camo isn't very important in my opinion. I've brought home many deer wearing just a brown or dull green colored outer layer. Still, as others have mentioned, military surplus is usually a very good bargain for getting warm, weatherproof clothing. It might be a little noisy and bulky for you if you stick with hunting. But it will be good for your first year.

Most important: keep all of this hunting clothing SEPARATE from your other clothes. ONLY WEAR IT TO THE STAND. Wash it in fragrence free detergent, air dry if possible, and keep it in a plastic container separate from everything else you own. Scent control is everything in deer hunting. Sitting still is almost everything--and you won't be able to sit still if you're cold.

Good luck!

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Check Walmart for some clearance stuff, they sometimes have some decent stuff dirt cheap on the offseason, even some scent blocker sprays and washes. Also you can check yard sales. I don't generally look for my hunting stuff at yard sales but my mom found and called me to pick up a set of overalls that I wore last season for $10 a yardsale. For warm weather you can layer down and have some camo thinner stuff any brand is fine, I am sure you are mostly asking about cold weather.

Warm Boots
    Base Layer Merino Wool Blend Preferred but not necessary
    Merino Wool Socks
    Windproof Outer Layer Jacket
    Warm Overalls
    Face Barclava. I have a heavy and light version depending on the weather.
    Gloves (liner) and Thick Winter Gloves. You can get away with just the liners in the warmer weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom