• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    We solved it. I tightened down the gas plug with a 1/4" socket and raised the rear sight eight clicks from bottom. He was able to put six shots into 2" at 100 yards right in the black of an SR-1. The stock is a nice DAS walnut that locks tightly.

Firespectrum

Mar 19, 2013
    College Park
    We solved it. I tightened down the gas plug with a 1/4" socket and raised the rear sight eight clicks from bottom. He was able to put six shots into 2" at 100 yards right in the black of an SR-1. The stock is a nice DAS walnut that locks tightly.

Beat me to it! Thanks for all the help and introducing me to those great folks at the range. I will post a pic of those groups after work.

Firespectrum

Mar 19, 2013
    College Park
    Sorry for the delay, but here's my group now at 100yds. I would have liked to get it closer, but with ammo what it is right now I figured that wasn't too shabby for the first 6 rounds!

IMG_20130325_121910_480_zpse08038c9.jpg

VFP

Nov 22, 2012
    Bed the stock to the receiver. that should tighten it up quite a bit without making a lot of changes or other mods.

VFP

Nov 22, 2012
    The only way it could be the barrel is if somehow the CMP people had overlooked serious crown damage. Very unlikely. If that were the case, I'm sure you could exchange it.

I really, really don't think it's the barrel. It's probably a simple tune-up sort of adjustment, or even loose sights.

It could be the stock. I'll bet you have a new replacement stock. Those typically need some fitting. Do the tilt test with the stock installed to see if the op rod is rubbing wood. I had to remove wood on my Service Grade. I'll see if I can post some links for you later. It also could be the gas cylinder, could be a lot of things.

I did think of the sights. I have had the front sight start moving around while I was shooting. It's happened on two different rifles - I made two or three windage adjustments until I realized the front sight was migrating. I now carry a 3/16 allen wrench with my Garand stuff. Should be on the combo tool. More likely the rear sight in your case. Windage and elevation can both shift. Make sure the screw on the elevation knob is snug- I've had my rear sight shift while shooting, too.

Lube the bolt and the chamber area where the op rod rubs before doing the tilt tests (both in and out of the stock). Google "M1 Garand Grease Points."

"Lock up" refers to how tight the trigger group locks up when you assemble the rifle. It's probably very tight in a new stock. You may even need a mallet to lock it. Old stocks can be loose.
    There was a depot mod in 1943 because of the front sights. they made a diaganal saw cut down through the front sight mount which allowed the front sight to be better tightened. It sounds like you need to set your front sight to get it on paper and lock it down, and then adjust windage and elevation. Not an uncommon problem. CMP makes sure they work, not that they will actually hit a target at 100 or 200 meters. Thats your job. There are a number of really good military armorers around.

VFP

Nov 22, 2012
    He's ex-Army, so his shooting is decent and he knows how to shoot with a sling. He said if he can get it zeroed and shooting 4MOA groups with CMP Greek ammo, he'd be fine with it.

Some WWII era barrels had the splines cut on the large side. That's why a lot of gas tubes had saw cuts through them. The idea was that you can tighten them down by turning the front sight screw tighter. The Army manual specifies not to remove the gas tube for routine cleaning.

My 1946 dated barrel has the gas tube on loosely enough that I can notice a little wobble. I can slide the gas tube off by hand. However, that doesn't stop me from shooting 97/100's (on an SR-1 at 100 yards) with it. The one I have with a 1952 dated barrel has a tight fitting gas tube. There is no side to side wobble that I can discern. On that one I need to tap the gas tube off with a block of wood. I can also shoot 97/100's with it. Neither have saw cuts.

Saw cut to tighten gas cylinder.
    2003464d.jpg
    That is the modification mine has. Mine is a feb. 1942 reciever with a 11-43 barrel. I thought it was a defect when I got it, but discovered it was later rewelded when it went through an armory rework in 1965. I had my armorer tighten up the front gas tube to better secure it. I too thought it was too loose, but that, believe it or not, is how it was designed.

VFP

Nov 22, 2012
    "His rear sight was on the loose side. He could push it back down by hand after turning it out all the way." that's how loose mine was when it was dropping when firing.
    Im sure gas plug isn't helping.
    Question to the guys- how tight should your gas cylinder be? Mine seems a little loose. It wobbles ever so slightly and is easily removable by hand.
    Tighten it more with the gas cylender wrench and then make sure the gas plug is tight. there will be a little wobble

VFP

Nov 22, 2012
    True but it you plan to use it for garand matches it will be illegal.
    True, but not everyone will be entered in matches, but will want a reasonabley tight group. Anything within two inches at 200 on a service grade is totally acceptable. Change sights to NM and that can be tightened a bit by 1/2 click increments along with a sear mod, and a few other things, but hey, some of us old guys just want a reasonably good shooting iron. Taking it to a good armorer is the smartest way to go, and I like the guys at Orion 7 too. Great service and fast turn around. They do know their stuff.

VFP

Nov 22, 2012
    Glad to see you got things worked out. Order another soon just for good measure before they are all gone. ;-)
    Yeah, before they outlaw M1's too. I can't believe what is coming out of Annapolis

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom