• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    The stats looks fantastic but I am bothered by 1.7% personal use. How the hell is that low and we have a huge population in MD? This baffles me and we have to keep fighting!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Which catagory is an initially "Business" , later converted to Unrestricted ?

And referencing the above, the raw number of "Personal" is just over 300 for the State.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Which catagory is an initially "Business" , later converted to Unrestricted ?

And referencing the above, the raw number of "Personal" is just over 300 for the State.

I would venture a guess that they are still under the business category. Remember that MSP issues all of them with restrictions, and their info is likely based upon the time of issuance.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Thanks! I've always believed in an open government. Hopefully MSP can start publishing statistics like other states (FL or AZ for example).

I do not specifically request that because of financial reasons, the most-recent data that has a breakdown is from 2006 (see below; thanks MSI!).

* Business: 31.8%
    * Police: 28.9%
    * Corrections: 6.0%
    * Security: 30.0%
    * Personal: 1.7%
    * Judicial: 1.6%
    * Government: 0.04%

Before we extrapolate too much from these numbers, go back a few posts and see that these 2006 percentages are of an absolute total number of permits which is more than twice that of 2017. I suspect that the ratios have skewed quite a bit in the ensuing years.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    is the 1.6% Judicial all judges with permits? That's an awful lot of judges!

From the 2006 data, that would amount to 632 permits. That could include not only judges but also bailiffs, clerks of the court, state's attorneys and other judicial personnel active as well as former and retired. considering this, 632 is actually not all that many.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    78.5k HQLs and 6 million people in Maryland. Only 1.3% of Maryland's population are allowed by the state to purchase a handgun. I don't know if I'm more saddened or angry by that.

Colorado and Maryland have almost the exact same population, and Colorado has over 250k active Concealed Handgun Permits.

Well, the other way to look at it is that since the FSA took effect just a couple years ago, 78,000+ people have decided to buy a regulated firearm, on top of all those already owned, and more folks are getting HQLs every day.

Now the carry situation, yeah, that's pathetic.

BTW, great info, thanks to OP for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom