• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I just received a renewal notification for my Florida non-resident CCW.
    I initially applied for it, thinking that "it's better than nothing" and that it may serve to make it easier to achieve a CCW in my home state of Maryland (doubtful) or possibly be recognized by other reciprocating states in the future. Unfortunately, laws have not changed in my favor and it appears there are even less reciprocating states than there were when I first applied.

Should I bother renewing?
    What are some advantages/disadvantages?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I initially applied for it, thinking that "it's better than nothing" and that it may serve to make it easier to achieve a CCW in my home state of Maryland (doubtful) or possibly be recognized by other reciprocating states in the future. Unfortunately, laws have not changed in my favor and it appears there are even less reciprocating states than there were when I first applied.

Depends where you go. If you go to FL, then yes get it. Also since it's just the renewal I would do it as opposed to running out and getting another license.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016

I'll be in the same boat in two years. My reason for getting it was that if federal reciprocity ever passes, there'll be a storm of people applying all at once. I'd rather already have it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I would. But I've got more money than I can spend. At least that's what my kids always tell me.

Seriously, why not? If you have the extra money, do it.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    Thanks guys.
    They're asking for a fingerprint card, new passport photo, and of course more $$$ for the renewal. I have my HQL, C&R, Collectors License, and the Fla. CCW, so I'm obviously "in the system". My fingerprints haven't changed and I'm really tired of having to provide the same crap over and over again. And I'm resentful that I have to pay anything in order to exercise my constitutional rights. :mad54:

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Thanks guys.
    They're asking for a fingerprint card, new passport photo, and of course more $$$ for the renewal. I have my HQL, C&R, Collectors License, and the Fla. CCW, so I'm obviously "in the system". My fingerprints haven't changed and I'm really tired of having to provide the same crap over and over again. And I'm resentful that I have to pay anything in order to exercise my constitutional rights. :mad54:

They only require new fingerprints from out of state residents. My guess is it's because they want to run a new criminal background check, one they figure is less necessary if you live in Florida, as they're more likely to know what you're up to.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Still has reciprosity with buncha states , if you plan to go to actual Fla , only way to carry there .

If you aren't going to go to actual Fla , Utah Permit plus one og the reasonable priced Utah classes from our IP's will about break even to Fla renewal, and subsequent renewals are cheap.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    I have a few in-laws in southern Alabama around Mobile and I've found myself crossing into Florida a few times, so I never say never (I know, I just said it twice).

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I've got relatives and in-laws spread all over.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since Fla (presently) doesn't allow OC , you don't have that to fall back upon for brief unexpected visits.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I just renewed my FL non-resident CCW permit two months ago. They did want a passport-style photo along with the fingerprints. The photo is used to make your license so that makes sense, folks' appearances change over time, less so fingerprints however. Regardless my reasons for renewal are the same reasons I got it in the first place: 1) the ability to carry for self-defense in 31 states when I travel, and 2) for "the principle" of exercising my 2A Rights.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    I just renewed my FL non-resident CCW permit two months ago. They did want a passport-style photo along with the fingerprints. The photo is used to make your license so that makes sense, folks' appearances change over time, less so fingerprints however. Regardless my reasons for renewal are the same reasons I got it in the first place: 1) the ability to carry for self-defense in 31 states when I travel, and 2) for "the principle" of exercising my 2A Rights.

I agree. However, if you already have other states' non-resident permits, it may be less worthwhile. The other thing I like about Florida is that it requires training (like an NRA Basic Pistol class) so if/when a version of reciprocity passes that requires it, Florida should qualify, while New Hampshire (as an example) does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom