• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Never underestimate Bubba.

I once picked up an 03A3 at a gun show which Bubba had attempted to rechamber to .308 Norma Magnum.

Are you sure the MAS has not been messed with?

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Could it have been 7.5 Swiss that was labeled as "7.5 French" by the dealer? French is one of the official languages of Switzerland and second most common to German. I'm wondering if maybe the ammo crates/packaging could have been marked in French when imported from Switzerland leading the dealer to believe that it was 7.5x54 French.

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    One other thing to consider. I've got some old crappy Syrian 7.5 French that's only good for components. Very much click bang. Even the 60s and 70s vintage French manuf. 7.5 ammo is getting old enough to be inconsistent. If it is Syrian ammo I wouldn't be surprised if only 1 out of 10 rounds to go bang.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    Just so everyone knows, this thread is right about a year old, which is about the last time the OP posted to this forum. So you probably won't hear back from him... :)

The MAS 36, 36/51, 44, 49 & 49/56 were all originally chambered for 7.5 x 54. The Berthier M34 and Lebel M27, both extremely rare, were also chambered for this cartridge. All other Berthier and Lebel rifles and carbines were chambered for 8mm x 50R.
    As Lou said, Century converted some MAS 49/56s to 7.62 x 51 but you will see this stamped on the left side of the receiver. Pretty prominent, hard to miss.
    As an aside, there were some chamber inserts on the market at one time to allow the user to shoot .32 pistol rounds in the MAS 36. These would be fixed in the chamber using Loctite permanent thread locker.

The Berthier M34 and Lebel M27, both extremely rare, were also chambered for this cartridge

Picked up one of these a few months ago for about $150. Exc. condition, all matching and no import marks. Guy definitely had no clue what he really had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom