Votes: 49 67.1%
    • No.

Votes: 24 32.9%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    In adition, the recert process requires effort.

Not very much. I paid $160 for two "online courses" (no test...they sent me the study materials and I received my hours after completing a survey). That, in addition to hours worked, etc.. and I can blow it off for another 3 years. They just want the money (I'm sure they company that offered the course paid dearly to be accredited).

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Every time I see "MBA, PMP" or the like on a business card or someone's LinkedIn name, I roll my eyes pretty damn hard. If you your degree and creds are that great, you should have earned a title that's impressive unto itself. Even for a Ph.D, I'd rather just see "Dr." in front of your name, because how you want me to address you is really the relevant thing.

They've also tightened up what counts as hours. It's not as easy to qualify as it used to be. You can still get CAPM pretty easily, but CAPM has not had as much industry uptake as it should. As someone else has mentioned, they've also ramped up the auditing - unfortunately, I suspect experience fraud is a lot more prevalent overseas than here.

I am PMP certified. I took a boot camp and passed it on the first try. I learned a lot of useful things, albeit it was more "here's the PMI way of doing business" since I had already studied project management in my MBA program. My wife also took the boot camp and passed on her first try, and she doesn't have an MBA (on the other hand, she's smart as hell, which is handy).

I also know an experienced PM who failed repeatedly even after two runs at the boot camp. To be blunt, there are a lot of PMs out there who really don't know what they're doing. A PMP cert at least signifies that you've heard about the "correct" way of doing things (at least according to PMI). It's not the only "correct" way to do business, but at least it's documented.

In terms of usefulness: it's a pretty good indicator that you know something about project management. As others have mentioned, if you are bidding on a contract, this is something that reviewers want to see. If you are in the running for a promotion or a position in project management, advertising that you have a PMP (and explaining what it means) can really give you that extra edge. It won't get you a job unto itself. It can be pretty damned amazing for job security, especially if there aren't many PMPs in the company.

I've thought about doing PMI-RMP, PMI-ACP, or PgMP (I'm director of our PMO!), but haven't figured out my plan yet.

Agree with most of this. The PMBOK really just assigns new terminology for concepts that should be readily apparent to anyone with PM experience. If you're an experienced PM, you really need to just make flash cards for all the terminology they invented.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Not very much. I paid $160 for two "online courses" (no test...they sent me the study materials and I received my hours after completing a survey). That, in addition to hours worked, etc.. and I can blow it off for another 3 years. They just want the money (I'm sure they company that offered the course paid dearly to be accredited).

True. I take a different route and attend as many events as I can. I find them valuable in the sense that I can interact with other PMs. They do require a bit of my time, but maybe I'll start looking into those classes as well.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

It gave you all 60 PMUs?

If so, do you have a link to said classes?:innocent0

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It gave you all 60 PMUs?
    I predict that the next wave of crackdowns is going to be PDU fraud. It's way too easy to simply claim you read something or listened to a podcast or whatever. They've already started getting snippy recently on exactly what kind of PDUs you need for recert (ugh).

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I completely disagree that the PMP cert only means that you can pass a test. You must have substantial documented relevant experience before you can even take the test and that experience has to be vouched for by previous supervisors.

Here's what the PMI says about the criteria before you cane even apply:

To apply for the PMP, you need to have either:

• A secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree, or the global equivalent) with at least five years of project management experience, with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.

OR

• A four-year degree (bachelor’s degree or the global equivalent) and at least three years of project management experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.

Who vets the vettors for the experience?

It is not that difficult to come up with the requisite hours and depending upon you job it can takes as little as three years to get the 4500 hours.

The PMP reminds me of the great recertification that took place in the early 90's when Novell CNA's and CNE's were being pumped out like water from a fire hose. It got to the point where the certification was useless because the people with them only had the knowledge to pass the certification test and not to actually apply in the real world the information they had allegedly acquired.

If you ask me it should be turned around. You take the classes and pass the test and you become an apprentice. Then after working in PM jobs for the required amount of time after you took the test you get to call yourself a PMP.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I predict that the next wave of crackdowns is going to be PDU fraud. It's way too easy to simply claim you read something or listened to a podcast or whatever. They've already started getting snippy recently on exactly what kind of PDUs you need for recert (ugh).

When I attend the events, the event administrators pass along my info along with the PDUs. Win/win situation.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD

It is not that difficult to come up with the requisite hours and depending upon you job it can takes as little as three years to get the 4500 hours.

The PMP reminds me of the great recertification that took place in the early 90's when Novell CNA's and CNE's were being pumped out like water from a fire hose. It got to the point where the certification was useless because the people with them only had the knowledge to pass the certification test and not to actually apply in the real world the information they had allegedly acquired.

If you ask me it should be turned around. You take the classes and pass the test and you become an apprentice. Then after working in PM jobs for the required amount of time after you took the test you get to call yourself a PMP.

Companies have recruiters who are charged with getting qualified people to fill slots on CPRLs to make money. The government customer almost always specifies PMP as a minimum requirement. Neither the government nor the recruiters may be using the best measure of performance ability, but you're swimming upstream if you think you can change their minds.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Companies have recruiters who are charged with getting qualified people to fill slots on CPRLs to make money. The government customer almost always specifies PMP as a minimum requirement. Neither the government nor the recruiters may be using the best measure of performance ability, but you're swimming upstream if you think you can change their minds.

I had the honor and privilege for working for a company, beltway bandit, that was banned for life from US government contracts twice in the same year. This was in 1983/1984. Prior to that I worked for the USDA. Since then I have managed to work in the Washington, DC area in commercial product development. I did do some minor work for a government contractor back in 2002, it was about 100 hours worth of work.

The company I work for did the PMP thing several years ago. I went through all of the training and decided I didn't want to be a project manager, I wanted to stay in technology development so I never took the exam. We have been going through the throws of ITIL the past several years too. And, don't get me started on ISO 9000.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    It gave you all 60 PMUs?

If so, do you have a link to said classes?:innocent0

I think I only took 40PDUs through them, though there's hundreds of PDUs in their catalog. I was able to claim the rest through my OJT if I recall correctly.

Company is called "Prodevia" (lol, sounds like some medicine for menstrual cramps or osteoporosis). They're listed as a certified provider on the PMI website....no issues claiming my credits.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

I started to do the podcasts and then quickly realized what a nightmare it would be if I was audited. Honestly, the online courses are the best option if you want to knock them out as efficiently as possible.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I accepted my employers offer and have begun the prerequisite 35 hours of online training. I'm also now a (likely) alternate to also attend a 40 hour boot camp; but will still have to do the essay, and prove 4500 hours leading projects. I'm hearing they audit most applicants now. I do not plan to attempt the actual test until I'm consistently getting 80%+ on practice tests. PMP is not required for my position, but as some of you have said, I am already learning the PMI vocabulary and will make discussing projects with PMP's a little easier.

I'll also check out Agile, that sounds like a complimentary 'good fit'.

I passed the CISSP several years ago, and admit, it too was largely about adopting a common and popular vocabulary; and it did open some doors. Was a hard test, but I passed first go, and maintain my continuing education and membership. I'm glad I did CISSP and hope I feel the same way about PMP.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Yeah its getting that way, BICSI RCDD was that way and kind of still is, it is geared towards people that can read reams of material and remember it. I am not one of those people, I learn better listening, I retain much more that way than by reading. these "groups" that stamp their name on these certs are making money hand over fist on with recycled material. Like someone said earlier, PMP is great but most companies do not strictly adhere to the PMI methodology and really that cert can be thrown out the window.

RB5082

Mar 6, 2015
    I took a one-week boot cam and then sat for my PMP about three weeks later. Memorize and apply those formulas. I found Headfirst PMP to be a good book and they also have an on-line test bank to pinpoint the area where you're weakest. It's definitey important if you manage projects in the Federal arena. All the best to you!

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Worth it. I have a DAWIA Level II cert. If I had the PMP, I'd qualify for a higher pay rate on the contractor side.

Most of the recent Federal RFPs that I've seen explicitly state that the Program Manager, who is usually considered "key personnel" must be PMP certified.

If I remember correctly with the PMP, you don't just walk in and take the test, you have to have a resume with verifiable credentials and references including a recommendation by a PMP to sit for the test.

People get a little crazy with the PMP credential... "Hi, I'm John Doe, PMP!" My boss got on my case for not putting PMP on my business cards next to my Ph.D. I told him that I'm proud of my Ph.D.... that took nearly four years of study and original research and a published dissertation... my PMP took a week of study and a couple of advil. Not the same thing. If I didn't need it for work, I wouldn't have bothered with it.

:lol: I always laugh when I see it listed in someone's signature block. I equate the cert to taking an undergrad class; if it's a candidates greatest professional accomplishment, you probably don't want to hire them.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I always laugh when I see it listed in someone's signature block. I equate the cert to taking an undergrad class; if it's a candidates greatest professional accomplishment, you probably don't want to hire them.

If they can show a lineage of successful projects, that is something different.

End to end project management is a skill. Mostly in patience. Why I got out. I am a stick and move kinda guy.

Had the sailboat out lately? :rolleyes:

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    I passed the CISSP several years ago, and admit, it too was largely about adopting a common and popular vocabulary; and it did open some doors. Was a hard test, but I passed first go, and maintain my continuing education and membership. I'm glad I did CISSP and hope I feel the same way about PMP.

CISSP + PMP will open even more doors. Very good combo for someone who works in management. Expanding your CISSP concentration to something such as CISSP-ISSMP may be worth looking into as well.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    CISSP + PMP will open even more doors. Very good combo for someone who works in management. Expanding your CISSP concentration to something such as CISSP-ISSMP may be worth looking into as well.

Good point, agreed.

I am considering it, but the ISSMP is not often listed as a preferred cert; at least I haven't seen it. Still on the list for me though, maybe someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom