• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Just picked up a new purchase and when I got home I wanted to see if it would pick up and cycle certain HD round due to the large opening on the HP. I did a quick cycle through the mag. Performed well the question is does this have any negative impact on the round.

I would of preferred to perform this test at the range but it is not in the schedule for the day and have been waiting forever so was antsy.

I read an article long ago regarding LEO chambering rounds and it over time shortens the overall length of the round. Will once or twice hurt ??

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    You can get bullet setback, though the effect might be more noticeable in something like a nonramped 1911 vs something with a feed ramp on the barrel.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    buy a caliper.. make sure the bullet hasn't move.. ie. pushed in the case. if it hasn't.. you're good to go.. :)

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    Depends.

Chambering a round does put a lot of pressure on it, and repeatedly chambering the same round will cause the bullet to setback, this is bad as it can increase pressure to dangerous levels if fired. I have seen Remington UMC setback after only a few chamberings, needless to say I didn't fire it.

Some bullets are cannelured and or crimped to reduce setback from happening, a notable example being the Hornady FTX (Critical Defense/Zombie Max)

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    People pick up brass at the range, reload it and fire it again and it works just fine. And that stuff was chambered, fired, and flung on the ground.

I don't think you have anything to worry about unless your gun crushes the casings against it's forehead like a drunken Auzzie with a beer can before it ejects them or something.

Edit: I didn't think about bullet setback or anything like that, as others have pointed out. But I don't think that function testing once or twice will hurt.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Not sure if once or twice will hurt or not. Probably no.
    I chamber daily on my HD handgun. When I pull out of safe when I get home. Then unload to return to safe when I leave. Its a RIA tactial in .45 of course. And IT WILL, AND HAS shortened case lenght over time. I just shoot them when it gets questionable. Short OAL has lead to failure to feed in my 1911. So I just rotate my rounds by shootin them.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thanks for all of the input. It was Corbon which does have the case cannelured so feel better. Hopefully this weekend can get to the range to see if it feeds for real.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Yeah especially in a 1911 with non tamped barrel, the feeding cycle is basically controlled ricochet with the frame feed ramp bouncing the nose of the round up, which then bounces off the top inside of the barrel hood. Then down into the chamber.

Bullet set back can cause a couple different problems, improper feeding (if reinserted into the magazine) and high case pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom