• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    Does anyone know the restrictions for defensive weapons kept in a civilian vehicle on military bases (APG North or South, Fort Meade, etc.)?

I've tried searching for policies on APG's website, but I haven't had any luck. I know vehicles are usually subject to random searches on military bases, so I want to make sure I'm squared-away legally.

Obviously firearms are probably a no-go. Can a fixed-blade knife be kept in the car? If so, where should it be kept? Are there any restrictions for folding knives kept in the car or on-person?

What about a tire thumper kept in the trunk along with jumper cables, etc.? I am assuming this would be OK. I've also thought about a Mag-Lite flashlight up front closer to the driver if there aren't any other options.

I'm not really concerned for my safety on a military base, but it would be nice to have some options that can stay in the car full time.

Any insight here is appreciated!

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    I work on base and regularly carry a folding pocket knife as well as a SOG multi-tool. Your best bet is to give the MP Law Enforcement desk a call and ask them. Each base might be a bit different and of course, the state the base is located makes a difference as well. Also if the base has a Rod and Gun Club you might be able to bring weapons on base but solely for the purpose of utilizing the range and then you aren't allowed to stop anywhere else on base.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    The sign out by the guard shack says weapons of any kind are prohibited. Its probably the same at any US Army (or DoD for that matter) entity.
    That said I know guys that carry pocket folders with no issue. I do have my doubts whether or not security has noticed.

Take that at face value. There are some guards that are really cool, and some that it seems are looking for reasons to make your day hell.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    I work on APG and carry a folding Benchmade and a Gerber multi-tool as part of my work equipment. Your vehicle is subject to search at any time. I do have a 3 cell Maglite that I carry in my car next to the driver's seat but that's in case of a break down or flat tire when it's dark out. The gate guards are less likely to search vehicles belonging to Government employees that they see every day but that doesn't mean they won't search.

Adenosine

Sep 20, 2016
    Does anyone know the restrictions for defensive weapons kept in a civilian vehicle on military bases (APG North or South, Fort Meade, etc.)?

For Meade, no guns whatsoever nope nope nada, not even locked in your trunk. Knives: the general rule on federal installations is blade less than or equal to 2.5".

Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    Thanks guys.

I knew firearms were a no-go, but I was really hoping to keep a fixed-blade knife in the car. Not so much for when I'm on post, but just as something that I'd like to keep in my car at all times. That's sounding like a no-go as well.

I'm always careful driving on post, but I don't know how common random searches are and I don't want to get in trouble if I run into a guard with an agenda.

I think my Leatherman and "tire thumper" will be ok. In terms of folders, I usually stick to a Victorinox cadet at most.

I'd love to hear from someone that has been randomly searched, but I haven't yet talked to anyone with firsthand experience.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Years ago when hunting on post I rolled up to the APG gate in full camo with a cased shotgun in the passenger seat. No issues. Check with your local post you will be on and get the story straight from them.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    If anyone is looking for something to carry in a non permissive environment look up the Mean Gene Leather Hot Tamale. Basically its a belt worn coin pouch that kind of, maybe just a little bit, resembles a black jack. There is also a video on youtube of a guy smashing a coconut with one so if you are ever assaulted by a coconut or if you just want to get the water out for refreshing drink you are good to go!

http://www.meangeneleather.com/shop/mgl-hot-tamale-less-lethal-coin/

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I got pulled for a random search at APG a few years back. It was a Monday and I had been to the range that weekend. My range trash was in the trunk (empty ammo boxes, etc.) When they popped my trunk I immediately hear, "DO YOU HAVE THE WEAPON IN THE CAR??!!" as the MP has his hand on his sidearm ready to draw.... I rapidly (and probably in a voice that is not my normal baritone) had to explained, no... they are just empty cardboard boxes.

Don't mess around. Nothing firearm related.

Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    I got pulled for a random search at APG a few years back. It was a Monday and I had been to the range that weekend. My range trash was in the trunk (empty ammo boxes, etc.) When they popped my trunk I immediately hear, "DO YOU HAVE THE WEAPON IN THE CAR??!!" as the MP has his hand on his sidearm ready to draw.... I rapidly (and probably in a voice that is not my normal baritone) had to explained, no... they are just empty cardboard boxes.

Don't mess around. Nothing firearm related.

These are the types of interactions I've been lead to expect...

I know a girl that forgot she had a set of kitchen knives in her car and she seemed freaked out that she might get searched.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Walmart has a nice folder with a 2.4" blade for under $30, which should be fine for carrying. It's a bit more substantial than the little Gerber I'm carrying now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom