• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Just joined and donated!
    I'll be doing some research for riding this fall in MD or head South again, I have over 24 days logged down Hatfield way ... so far :)

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    wow had no idea about this. about how many miles of trail will it be? sounds nice but i can't imagine it will be as large as Hatfield McCoy. will be great for maryland no doubt. i love the Hatfield McCoy trails. i go 1-2x per year for 5-7 days.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes this is a good thing.

Of course while they're at it, they can simply reopen the recently closed trails in GRSF, that are a cpl hours closer to the majority of Md population. No studies , plans or developement required, just take down the closed signs.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    AOAA opened in 2014.

A bit father than Tower City (or whatever name they are going by these days) and fees inline with the ANF and MRA, is about the same distance from Frederick County. 6500 vs 2500 acres of MRA.

I know I'll be trying them in the spring.

Far as GRSF, looks like they are tar and chipping some roads up there.

It could have been my imagination, but I don't think so...

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    AOAA opened in 2014.

A bit father than Tower City (or whatever name they are going by these days) and fees inline with the ANF and MRA, is about the same distance from Frederick County. 6500 vs 2500 acres of MRA.

I know I'll be trying them in the spring.

Far as GRSF, looks like they are tar and chipping some roads up there.

It could have been my imagination, but I don't think so...

Went to AOAA this past September. Pretty good. Not H&M good but definitely worth the trip.

They already have plans for expansion which will just about double their size.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Went to AOAA this past September. Pretty good. Not H&M good but definitely worth the trip.

They already have plans for expansion which will just about double their size.

Nice!

I must admit, with all this mild weather, I yearn for the dirt.

However, living in SW Fredneck County, it's a haul to anything.

Wow. 7000 acres. That would pretty much cover the western anthracite fields.

It's a shame PA DCNR doesn't permit OHM on their ATV trails in the state forest system.

Ah well, their loss...

Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yes closing green ridge was a complete travesty. existing trails, nothing around it but a jail/juvi facility or whatever that was. absolute crap.

I haven't hit a trail system in over two years now, just too much of a time investment, looking at 3 hours each way for anything decent. so, I went out and got a dual sport and have been hitting all the back, gravel and dirt roads in the area (Loudoun county for me). not as much fun as pure trails, especially with oncoming cars, but beats the heck out of just watching MX on TV.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    I haven't hit a trail system in over two years now, just too much of a time investment, looking at 3 hours each way for anything decent. so, I went out and got a dual sport and have been hitting all the back, gravel and dirt roads in the area (Loudoun county for me). not as much fun as pure trails, especially with oncoming cars, but beats the heck out of just watching MX on TV.

Beware VDOT.

They have been tar and chipping in NW Loudon.

Portions of old Wheatland and a long portion of quarter branch

Furnace mountain is still in good shape (for us).

I'm in Brunswick, we should ride some time...

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Got home a little bit ago from AOAA.

They have more trails opened in the original section and the "western" section is open. Definitely two full days of riding to try and cover them all.

Took a pause and watched this guy cross this mud hole/small pond. Waist deep and it was 33 degrees this morning when we started riding....

20160326_135659_zpsj3fkqbfy.jpg

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    AOAA is a little bit of a hike but I have to make some plans soon! I'm getting the fever. A little more green on the trees and I'm off. !

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    AOAA is a little bit of a hike but I have to make some plans soon! I'm getting the fever. A little more green on the trees and I'm off. !

Rode AOAA this past week.

It's more varied terrain than MRA in Somerset County, PA.

I'll be back!

Sadly, when MD completes their trails in the west...
    • Likely be further away than AOAA or MRA
    • My daughter will be in her teens before it opens (she is 7 now)

Time will tell.

Next year is the year for her to get a bike. :party29:

I'll likely have to take her to the grand parentals to get ground to teach her basic skills...

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    The trail is opening tomorrow 7/21/17. There is limited designated camping spots however. I am looking into gaining legal access to the trail from my property. (which is only 200yrd from the trail) Once I get a legal access to the trail system I will be renting my hunting cabin out to ATV enthusiasts if anyone is interested.

http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2017/0...f-road-vehicle-trail-opens-in-garrett-county/

FYI- the OHV alliance is pushing the state to buy the Wolfs den property in Kitzmiller. Then they plan to link this current trail system to the Kitzmiller property through coal property leases. This will give OHV enthusiasts access to a pretty decent trail system .

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    So I'm trying to find what it costs to just ride the trails with a single track, since I live close and don't need the camping experience of Garrett County.;)
    Oh BTW, my single track is already Maryland licensed and insured if that makes any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom