• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BDOHNA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked up a quantity of 9mm FMJ 115gr Wolf Polyformance and it seemed like I was getting a squib out of every 50 rounds or so.
    So I bought the scale to figure out which ones could be light on powder

I measured about 300 rounds and got readings anywhere from 174.3 gr to 178.3

How much variance would you expect in cheap ammo and/or how much should a charge of powder for this size round weigh?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Charge variation should minimal, even for Wolf. Most of the weight variation you're seeing are likely (should be) from casing, projectile, and primer variations all combined.

True squib (as in knock the round out of the barrel)? Or just failure to fire?

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Charge variation should minimal, even for Wolf. Most of the weight variation you're seeing are likely (should be) from casing, projectile, and primer variations all combined.

True squib (as in knock the round out of the barrel)? Or just failure to fire?

True squib, I bought a length of brass rod and keep it in my rangebag

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Is it only that ammo? Maybe the chamber isn't sealing properly and you're getting a bit of gas escaping here and there?

Knock on wood, of the thousands of rounds I've shot over the years, this is the first batch of ammo to give me any squibs. It happened in different handguns that never have issue with other brands of ammo. I shot plenty of steel case wolf prior to these batches with no trouble as well. It was good and cheap a few years back and I was stacking it deep.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. What Brad82 said . Unless all of them were exactly 174.3 OR 178.3 , with no values inbetween .

2. If you still have reasonably decent hearing , you should be able to hear if ]powder inside vs no powder . ( Going by probabilities , if bullet stuck in bore not very far down , of being propelled by primer only .

If there is a full load of unburned powder spilling out , that's a different thing.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Contact the seller.

2) Contact the importer.

Make sure to supply the lot number. SOMETHING IS WRONG.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Ammo exchanged

Prologue:
    The seller wouldn't take the ammo back and pointed me to the President of Wolf. Called, asked for and got the president. He gave me an email address to describe my situation and request a refund or exchange. Got a UPS prepaid label in 2-3 days, boxed up 850 rounds and sent them back. In less than 2 weeks I received notification my ammo had been received and the replacement ammo arrived. They didn't even ask me what the issue was.

Thanks for everyone's advice and comments.

I'll post the contact info in the Depot forum for everyone and to give a shout out to Wolf for standing behind their product.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    The charge weight will be very close. Just pull the heaviest and lightest rounds and weight the charges.

Next weigh the bullets, they too will be close.

Now weigh the cases and you will see where the majority of the difference comes from.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Since this IS the reloading forum, I assume you reload. Cases can and do vary as to weight. If you don't believe me, try grabbing a dozen pieces at random. Place one on your reloading scale, and tare it to zero. Then weigh each remaining piece one at a time and see what your variance is. The 4 grains you are seeing in the final cartridges IMHO is not out of line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom