Whats the process for buying AR lower in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daekwan

Apr 9, 2018
    Good Morning Shooters,

I recently moved from VA to MD and have since officially changed my residency to MD. About three weeks ago I got a MD driver's license, changed my car registration to MD and have all the proof of residency including printed utility bills and a mortgage in my name, with my MD address. As a VA resident, buying a firearm was pretty simple. You show to any FFL in the state, provide a DL only, fill out a state/Federal form and usually after a couple minutes your background check comes back okay and you pay for the item and go home with it. There is no waiting period, no limit on daily/weekly/monthly purchases, nothing is banned and no special forms for AR's or anything declared as an "assault weapon".

I'm a little confused to how this process works in MD. I believe there is a 7 or 8 day waiting period. And since MD technically banned "assault weapons" a few years back.. certain ARs are now a no-no. I say certain because a coworker who lives in MD recently bought a Tavor which I thought was impossible in this state. Im more of a roll your own guy. And simply want to pick up a couple of Aero Precision lowers. Maybe 3-4 with atleast one of those being a pistol build.

• Would I be able to purchase all of them at once?
    • Can I buy from online dealer and ship to an FFL?
    • What documentation do I need to present?
    • How long is the waiting period if there is one?
    • Do I need to provide any additional information on the application pertaining to the build (barrel length, caliber, etc?)
    • Is an AR stripped lower considered a rifle or "AOW" (any other weapon)?
    • Is is legal to ship the remaining AR parts necessary for a build to my home in MD? (With the exception of 30rnd mags.. I believe they are illegal in MD)
    • Are there any particular county laws/regulations I need to know about. I live in PG?
    • Any chance I buy from the big Nations Gun show in Chantilly? Im not sure if dealers at the show in VA are allowed to process MD applications and sales.. but figured I'd ask!?!

Thanks for any guidance. And if I posted this in the wrong section please help me move it to the right one.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Please take a moment to create an introduction in the "Introductions" section. It is a simple formality, but goes a long way to prove that you legitimately want to be a part of this community. New folks asking legality questions are often viewed with suspicion. We get antis and trolls trying to find weaknesses or stir up trouble. Do a little searching around, and you'll probably find answers to your questions.

These topics have been exhaustively covered. Your best bet is to find and befriend a local gun shop (you're going to have to go through an FFL anyway).
    Post an intro asking for advice about gun shops in your area...and be patient. If you want to buy guns in MD, you need patience ;)

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Welcome to Maryland and to MDS. I moved here last year from NM and have found the laws of the land here much more restrictive. I'm still learning them all myself, but I'd recommend checking out the rifles sub-forum or using the search tool. This thread on AR builds might be a good place to start if as you mention you prefer to build your own. Note that you'll want to look towards the middle and end of the thread for more current info, as it was started in 2009 before new, more restrictive laws were passed in 2013.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Good Morning Shooters,

I recently moved from VA to MD and have since officially changed my residency to MD. About three weeks ago I got a MD driver's license, changed my car registration to MD and have all the proof of residency including printed utility bills and a mortgage in my name, with my MD address. As a VA resident, buying a firearm was pretty simple. You show to any FFL in the state, provide a DL only, fill out a state/Federal form and usually after a couple minutes your background check comes back okay and you pay for the item and go home with it. There is no waiting period, no limit on daily/weekly/monthly purchases, nothing is banned and no special forms for AR's or anything declared as an "assault weapon".

I'm a little confused to how this process works in MD. I believe there is a 7 or 8 day waiting period. And since MD technically banned "assault weapons" a few years back.. certain ARs are now a no-no. I say certain because a coworker who lives in MD recently bought a Tavor which I thought was impossible in this state. Im more of a roll your own guy. And simply want to pick up a couple of Aero Precision lowers. Maybe 3-4 with atleast one of those being a pistol build.

• Would I be able to purchase all of them at once?
    • Can I buy from online dealer and ship to an FFL?
    • What documentation do I need to present?
    • How long is the waiting period if there is one?
    • Do I need to provide any additional information on the application pertaining to the build (barrel length, caliber, etc?)
    • Is an AR stripped lower considered a rifle or "AOW" (any other weapon)?
    • Is is legal to ship the remaining AR parts necessary for a build to my home in MD? (With the exception of 30rnd mags.. I believe they are illegal in MD)
    • Are there any particular county laws/regulations I need to know about. I live in PG?
    • Any chance I buy from the big Nations Gun show in Chantilly? Im not sure if dealers at the show in VA are allowed to process MD applications and sales.. but figured I'd ask!?!

Thanks for any guidance. And if I posted this in the wrong section please help me move it to the right one.

Search would work but let me see if I can help a little.
    • Would I be able to purchase all of them at once? For regulated firearms (pistols, lowers), Maryland lets you take possession of 1 every 30 days (unless you take take possession of 2 at one time then its a 60 day wait). Long Guns (like HBAR, 22, pistol caliber ARs, shotguns, etc...) do not have this restriction. Once you process one regulated firearm through MD, you can apply for your Designated Collector which removes the 1 every 30 restriction.
    • Can I buy from online dealer and ship to an FFL? Yes you can but i suggest speaking to your MD FFL first. They may or may not accept transfers from online (even if they are listed on the site)
    • What documentation do I need to present? For a lower, you need your Maryland ID or Drivers license with your current address. You will need to complete a online 77r. If you were getting a handgun, you need your HQL and a completed 77r. For long guns, you just need your MD DL and fill out a 4473 (like in VA)
    • How long is the waiting period if there is one? For any regulated firearm, it is a 8 day wait. For long guns its C&C as long as you pass the 4473.
    • Do I need to provide any additional information on the application pertaining to the build (barrel length, caliber, etc?) Nope, you just cannot configure it into a banned firearm. If you do and are caught, bad times.
    • Is an AR stripped lower considered a rifle or "AOW" (any other weapon)? Its a Frame from my understanding
    • Is is legal to ship the remaining AR parts necessary for a build to my home in MD? (With the exception of 30rnd mags.. I believe they are illegal in MD) As long as the online store will ship them, its fine. Mags over 10 rounds cannot be taken possession of in Maryland (go buy them in VA and bring them back is fine.)
    • Are there any particular county laws/regulations I need to know about. I live in PG? I would recommend speaking to your FFL about this to be sure. They should know their areas laws.
    • Any chance I buy from the big Nations Gun show in Chantilly? Im not sure if dealers at the show in VA are allowed to process MD applications and sales.. but figured I'd ask!?! My understanding is that any MD regulated firearm must be taken possession of in MD, meaning the vendor wold have to ship to a MD FFL. Not sure how willing vendors at gun shows are about that.

All of this information is based on what I've learned or experienced. I Hope this helps. Sorry you had to move to MD from a currently free state like VA.

Daekwan

Apr 9, 2018
    Please take a moment to create an introduction in the "Introductions" section. It is a simple formality, but goes a long way to prove that you legitimately want to be a part of this community. New folks asking legality questions are often viewed with suspicion. We get antis and trolls trying to find weaknesses or stir up trouble. Do a little searching around, and you'll probably find answers to your questions.

These topics have been exhaustively covered. Your best bet is to find and befriend a local gun shop (you're going to have to go through an FFL anyway).
    Post an intro asking for advice about gun shops in your area...and be patient. If you want to buy guns in MD, you need patience ;)

Thanks!

Will definitely do that. And im no troll.. I've been on AR15.com and M4carbine for 10 years under the same name. Too bad all of my previous purchases are now at the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay from the fishing trip lol.

Daekwan

Apr 9, 2018
    Great information guys. You've pretty much answered all my questions. And yeah it sucks moving from VA to MD.. but wife delivered twins and the houses were so much cheaper, so I had to give up my freedoms for a decent home. Atleast I dont have to pay personal property tax on my cars anymore lol. Good chance we move back to VA when the kids are old enough to go school.

I'll be sure to bookmark the other forums suggested and still do the introduction. Hope to see a couple of you guys out at the range!

Daekwan

Apr 9, 2018
    One more important thing. Post 10/2013 AR rifles in .223/5.56 must be stamped or advertised as heavy barrel. This does not apply to pistol builds or any other caliber.

See it's little things like that I definitely need to know. Buying AR's in MD isnt impossible.. its just so much more effort than it was in VA. Thanks for pointing that out!

See it's little things like that I definitely need to know. Buying AR's in MD isnt impossible.. its just so much more effort than it was in VA. Thanks for pointing that out!

It was stated earlier, but this is a biggie...
    Magazines >10rds are legal to have in Maryland. It is illegal for them to bought, sold, donated, traded, built, shipped in, etc. within the state's borders- no changing hands inside Marylandistan.
    You can buy them in VA, PA, WV, etc. and legally bring them into the state on your person. Your friend cannot pick one up in VA and hand it to you in Maryland- even as a gift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom