• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    How can they.. DC just made it up.. lol

This has been a DC holiday since 2005. Lincoln freed the slaves in DC a few months before the Emancipation Proclamation freed the slaves in the Confederacy. The law authorized compensation to DC slave owners for each slave they held. It did not affect slaves held by other northern states, including Maryland and Delaware. Even if they escaped to DC or another free state, fugitive slave laws were still in effect until 1864. Even then four US states still had legal slavery until after the Civil War.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It says that all construction work requiring permits is not allowed or you can be hit with a stop work order and fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If they already have permits.. why does it matter on which day they do construction?

Like I said.. it may require inspectors to be on the premises while doing a specific construction.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Do they forbid construction work on Christmas, July 4th, Thanksgiving, election day, Labor day, etc.? If not what makes this day so special that they can prevent someone from earning a living and providing for their family on it?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Do they forbid construction work on Christmas, July 4th, Thanksgiving, election day, Labor day, etc.? If not what makes this day so special that they can prevent someone from earning a living and providing for their family on it?
    Unions actually have holidays.. don't know exactly when.. but em day is not national holiday.

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    There is no construction allowed on Sunday's or any legal holiday in DC, it's not only Emancipation Day so you guys can relax it's not the "racists" in DC govt vilifying white ppl lol. Every holiday gets the same treatment.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    There is no construction allowed on Sunday's or any legal holiday in DC, it's not only Emancipation Day so you guys can relax it's not the "racists" in DC govt vilifying white ppl lol. Every holiday gets the same treatment.

I gotta tell ya, I've been involved in a LOT of construction in DC on Sunday's and Federal Holidays. If this is a law, it isn't enforced.

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    I gotta tell ya, I've been involved in a LOT of construction in DC on Sunday's and Federal Holidays. If this is a law, it isn't enforced.

Oh trust me it's enforced, but usually on larger jobs i.e. Buildings coming out of the ground. But any permitted work regardless of size requires an additional after hours work permit to work on Sunday's and holidays and DCRA usually refuses to issue them.

If someone were to drop a dime on your construction work the inspector is supposed to issue a stop work sticker.

Either you guys don't pull permits in DC or you need to read them.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Been doing work in DC on Sundays and holidays for many years, first I've heard of this nonsense.

I was with a crew at the POD Hotel on H street on Monday. Traffic was lighter than usual. No inspectors in sight...

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Been doing work in DC on Sundays and holidays for many years, first I've heard of this nonsense.

I was with a crew at the POD Hotel on H street on Monday. Traffic was lighter than usual. No inspectors in sight...

Before I retired, I worked in the Baltimore area. However, there was plenty of work in DC during the weekends and federal holidays.

They would double crew the jobs on those days. Bosses got a lot of work done and we made a lot of money. When it became crunch time for a project, we would work 7 days a week in DC.

I wonder if there are any exemptions for this law?

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    Before I retired, I worked in the Baltimore area. However, there was plenty of work in DC during the weekends and federal holidays.

They would double crew the jobs on those days. Bosses got a lot of work done and we made a lot of money. When it became crunch time for a project, we would work 7 days a week in DC.

I wonder if there are any exemptions for this law?

You must apply for an exemption permit which in my understanding are almost never granted

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    I work for a union contractor, in DC, and have worked many Sundays, holidays, and Emancipation day. Small jobs and large jobs. I think its just a publicity thing. I don't know anyone who shut down. Im sure some may have, but i don't see it.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Looks like a noise reduction effort for residents. The after hours permit is on DCs web page. It's probably a low risk of a shutdown, (I'm totally guessing) but apparently they have the laws in place.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My reply would be triple time for stupid holiday and double time for Sunday work. That would be 5 times normal fees for your ridiculous emergency! Monday's work may be rescheduled to be done at the end of the other current projects we have!

In other words, screw you sideways!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom