• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Two Dozen Guns Somehow Walked Out Of A DC Police Evidence Locker, Half To Be Used In Other Crimes
    http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/19/t...dence-locker-half-to-be-used-in-other-crimes/
    An internal memo from the D.C. Department of Forensic Sciences (DFS) reveals 24 guns police confiscated between 2005 and 2012 vanished from the MPD evidence locker and were later confiscated yet again in other crimes. One of the weapons reappeared in a murder, while several others were used to commit violent crimes

The issue with missing guns rose to the surface after a reporter requested information regarding the firearms recovered during homicides that occurred in 2014.

WOW! :sad20:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Two Dozen Guns Somehow Walked Out Of A DC Police Evidence Locker, Half To Be Used In Other Crimes
    http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/19/t...dence-locker-half-to-be-used-in-other-crimes/

WOW! :sad20:
    Oops....

You can talk to our resident MPD members to confirm how it works at MPD but in my experience the people doing these jobs are often disgruntled light duty employees, poor performers, those with suspended police powers etc. In some agencies they may not even be sworn officers.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    This sounds like poor records keeping rather then mishandling of property. The SPO guns are often stolen in batches of 15-30 and it is not uncommon for them to get them back after a case is over. Hence why the 3 cases in the article all involve Taurus revolvers or security guards guns.

The article also fails to mention that since 2005 DC has changed its storage locations for firearms 3 times, changed the way we process firearms twice, and the firearms law has changed 3 times since I have been there.

DC has gone through some serious firearm related changes and actually I don't think this number is really that egregious. With millions of items of property ranging from machine guns, to wallets, to cash, to IDs, clothing, data, jewelry and so on......something is bound to go missing by human error.

Hell half you folks lose a sock everytime you do laundry!!

For the record I'm not sticking up for them because it's my department.......trust me I'm the first to call out sloppy lack of police work.........I'm sticking up for them because I understand that EVERYONE makes mistakes.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    With my above post it's not to say that some haven't been lost or hell even stolen. I mean when the guns or any property go to court the officer has to carry it around all day. They are then ordered by a judge to give it over to some people the cops have never met before. Now technically although the regular attorney, defense attorney, Marshal, and Jury all have access to the evidence and it's no longer in my possession I'm responsible for it even though I'm legally not even allowed in the court room at that time and can't even keep eyes on the property I am responsible for.

Consider photos and interrogations. I bet we literally have 5 million CDs with crime scene photos and interrogations.......you think 10 of those don't get lost a year? It's the nature of the beast. As someone who has personally moved MPDCs gun storage, I can tell you it was a daunting task.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    This sounds like poor records keeping rather then mishandling of property. The SPO guns are often stolen in batches of 15-30 and it is not uncommon for them to get them back after a case is over. Hence why the 3 cases in the article all involve Taurus revolvers or security guards guns.

The article also fails to mention that since 2005 DC has changed its storage locations for firearms 3 times, changed the way we process firearms twice, and the firearms law has changed 3 times since I have been there.

DC has gone through some serious firearm related changes and actually I don't think this number is really that egregious. With millions of items of property ranging from machine guns, to wallets, to cash, to IDs, clothing, data, jewelry and so on......something is bound to go missing by human error.

For the record I'm not sticking up for them because it's my department.......trust me I'm the first to call out sloppy lack of police work.........I'm sticking up for them because I understand that EVERYONE makes mistakes.

Well said, and point taken.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Well, it is DC. My friends car had the same Tag number on another car there. As that got sorted out years after the fact, the employee fixing it told him "it does happen"

Wow...

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    Not going to blame the officers, going to blame the DC leadership. The whole city is a mess....and tho I work for the government, I'm glad that the only time I have to go downtown is to see the sights...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    and the firearms law has changed 3 times since I have been there.

Look I don't blame the beleaguered MPD officers but I am at a loss as to how the changes in DC firearms law, which I am very family with as I have registered guns in DC since 2009, and helped friends do as well, has anything to do with it?

How does whether I have to take an eye test., state the reason why I want a gun, have 40 cal ammo if I only have a 9 mm registered, take live fire instead of virtual training, (example o f changes) etc etc has to do with how DC keeps track of guns sized in crimes and keeps them from being stolen from evidence lockers?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Look I don't blame the beleaguered MPD officers but I am at a loss as to how the changes in DC firearms law, which I am very family with as I have registered guns in DC since 2009, and helped friends do as well, has anything to do with it?

How does whether I have to take an eye test., state the reason why I want a gun, have 40 cal ammo if I only have a 9 mm registered, take live fire instead of virtual training, (example o f changes) etc etc has to do with how DC keeps track of guns sized in crimes and keeps them from being stolen from evidence lockers?

My point being that EVERYTHING firearms related, from laws, to handling, to recovery procedures, to storage locations has changed multiple times since 2005 and I think I conveyed that pretty well.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    That's most impressive MPD! Keep up the good work!

Between police departments "losing" guns that are later used in crimes and public schools inviting pedophiles to play with the kids I'm starting to think our local jurisdictions are f'd up even worse than we thought.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    wish

With my above post it's not to say that some haven't been lost or hell even stolen. I mean when the guns or any property go to court the officer has to carry it around all day. They are then ordered by a judge to give it over to some people the cops have never met before. Now technically although the regular attorney, defense attorney, Marshal, and Jury all have access to the evidence and it's no longer in my possession I'm responsible for it even though I'm legally not even allowed in the court room at that time and can't even keep eyes on the property I am responsible for.

Consider photos and interrogations. I bet we literally have 5 million CDs with crime scene photos and interrogations.......you think 10 of those don't get lost a year? It's the nature of the beast. As someone who has personally moved MPDCs gun storage, I can tell you it was a daunting task.

wish I could have gotten some that "fell off the back of a truck" if they be decent :innocent0

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    mpdc4511, not trying to get you in trouble or say you to anything that could, but do you think some of the people in charge snag them and resell them on the black market for cash? I am being serious, not joking like my last post...

Thanks.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    My point being that EVERYTHING firearms related, from laws, to handling, to recovery procedures, to storage locations has changed multiple times since 2005 and I think I conveyed that pretty well.

I am sorry but you had specifically mentioned the laws. None of reduction of second amendment violating laws, ie in impediments to citizens' gun ownership resulting from the lawsuits ,could be blamed for this whatsoever.

Why don't you state a specific occurred case, or even an hypothetical cases as to how on earth the reductions in impediments did or could contribute to any loss under police custody or recycles of police lost guns into crime guns.

The only thing the DC gun laws do regarding theft of guns by bad guys, as constructed in 2008 and as still constructed, is increase risk of theft by bad guys.

This because a married couple, both of whom can complete all requirements, background checks, competence training who wish to keep one firearm at home, are uniquely in DC forced to keep two there, doubling the potential loss to criminal elements should their house b burglarized.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    That's most impressive MPD! Keep up the good work!

Between police departments "losing" guns that are later used in crimes and public schools inviting pedophiles to play with the kids I'm starting to think our local jurisdictions are f'd up even worse than we thought.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Who in the hell could stick up for DC. They haven't done anything right in the last thousand years. The place is a disgrace. Work there if you like mpdc, but you are with a loser.

Lew--Ranger63

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

I am sorry but you had specifically mentioned the laws. None of reduction of second amendment violating laws, ie in impediments to citizens' gun ownership resulting from the lawsuits ,could be blamed for this whatsoever.

Why don't you state a specific occurred case, or even an hypothetical cases as to how on earth the reductions in impediments did or could contribute to any loss under police custody or recycles of police lost guns into crime guns.

The only thing the DC gun laws do regarding theft of guns by bad guys, as constructed in 2008 and as still constructed, is increase risk of theft by bad guys.

This because a married couple, both of whom can complete all requirements, background checks, competence training who wish to keep one firearm at home, are uniquely in DC forced to keep two there, doubling the potential loss to criminal elements should their house b burglarized.

I'm gonna put my FULL quote above so you can re-read it so you can see as I previously stated about how EVERYTHING firearms has changed in D.C. And then I'm gonna not respond anymore to your knit picking because if I wanted a knit picking argument I'd go talk to my wife. I did specifically mention the laws but read into the context.......CONTEXT. Which again I think I conveyed well. I make one blip proving a point and you want to go full soapbox........special.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    mpdc4511, not trying to get you in trouble or say you to anything that could, but do you think some of the people in charge snag them and resell them on the black market for cash? I am being serious, not joking like my last post...

Thanks.

No I highly doubt that happens bro. So I often times (or used to) would deal with thousands in cash that drug dealers couldn't prove they made.....why would I take their gun and try and resell it. When cops steal it's generally Cash. A gun is really not worth the trouble. Not that's not to say in the history of MPDC it's never happened but it's not a likely event.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Well, it is DC. My friends car had the same Tag number on another car there. As that got sorted out years after the fact, the employee fixing it told him "it does happen"

Wow...

Missing firearms or duplicate tag numbers and then government agents/officials, saying "it does happen", does not excuse the incompetents. Keeping records straight seems to be a recurring problem in DC government agencies, especially DMV and now it appears DCMPD...:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom