• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Absolutely!

I asked because I normally hear this type of criticism from people that don't really understand the system.

I didn't know D.C. didn't charge the abusers. Charles county changed things a few years ago and it slowed down some but it will never end in our welfare society.

DC does charge 500 bucks in fact

They just have no way to collect if insurance doesn't pay

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    'Can't squeeze blood from a stone'

The ones most likely to abuse the system in that way have no assets you could go after for a collection action.

Yes they do.. Attach federal benifits...just like any other income.. It does not even have to be a massive amount $5 per pay period per event... I bet you will see an impact eventually..

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Yes they do.. Attach federal benifits...just like any other income.. It does not even have to be a massive amount $5 per pay period per event... I bet you will see an impact eventually..

That's what I was thinking. Be sure NO one owing money can ever:

1) Collect (large) lottery winnings.
    2) Register a car
    3) Transfer Real Estate within MD
    4) Collect a tax return without paying the bill.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    We're talking about DC residents who don't pay their bills.

Nothing on your list will force them to pay anything. It's DC.

now no welfare benefits might motivate some.

Last edited:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

I dont believe they can attach federal benefits like foodstamps. They should be able to, but I dont think they can.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've seen some really bad wait times but I absolutely don't blame DC Fire/ EMS. Worth noting that near the start of the month we seem to have a lot of folks OD'ing on K2 and that ties up the ambulances further.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Someone interviewed council member Jack Evans yesterday on WMAL and he said he wants to find a way to stop sending fire apparatus on EMS calls and have enough ambulances so fire trucks don't have to be dispatched.

These folks really do live in a parallel universe. His understanding of pre hospital EMS practices is so ignorant as to be stunning in it's scope. I won't use the word breath taking as that could actually kill him in DC.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Someone interviewed council member Jack Evans yesterday on WMAL and he said he wants to find a way to stop sending fire apparatus on EMS calls and have enough ambulances so fire trucks don't have to be dispatched.

These folks really do live in a parallel universe. His understanding of pre hospital EMS practices is so ignorant as to be stunning in it's ignorance. I won't use the word breath taking as that could actually kill him in DC.

The latest hubris and drivel from the disconnected ICMA...........................

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    DC sends bills. those that are not paid for by insurance normally go unpaid. IOW, most of them
    And this is the reason an all private emergency ambulance system would not work. A business has to make a profit.

I know that other FDs allow private ambulance companies pick up the slack in some instances if they've been certified. I wouldn't want to be in the care of some of the private companies I've seen except maybe if my comatose body as being transported to a hospice to die.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    And this is the reason an all private emergency ambulance system would not work. A business has to make a profit.

They make a profit. They bid to provide ambulance service to the city for X/year and they have to provide a specified number of ambulances. The amount the city/county pays them gets offset for whatever they can obtain as reimbursement from insurance/medicare. Through the magic of competition and free enterprise, a contracted service has a better cost structure than a service run by buerocrats using unionized government employees with expensive benefits. The service still operates at a loss, it is just not as big of a loss as a public agency. Every 3-5 years the EMS contract goes back to bids.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    That's what I was thinking. Be sure NO one owing money can ever:

1) Collect (large) lottery winnings.
    2) Register a car
    3) Transfer Real Estate within MD
    4) Collect a tax return without paying the bill.

Right. They damn sure won't let you re-register your car if you have any unpaid BS speed trap or parking tickets, are a child support scofflaw, or have any other "unpaid debts to the District Government." Not sure why this isn't included.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Most folks who don't pay their bills don't own a car or real estate either.

Now cutting off welfare checks might get their attention.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I can promise you that the fireman are upset that they were not able to save this child. One of the main problems is the "Office of Unified Communications". They have no clue how to properly categorize EMS calls. As an example, we routinely get dispatched for a person with chest pains, only to find out when we get there that the "patient" called for an ingrown toenail. That is no BS. Add to that the fact that the population has grown tremendously without adding any Fire/EMS resources.

I went on the child with the amputated finger that turned out to be a paper cut(Nut job in Coulmbia) and Ive been on the sick subject thats in arrest. Oh and the time I went on……I should have kept a scrap book of all the weird stuff I responded to.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I went on the child with the amputated finger that turned out to be a paper cut(Nut job in Coulmbia) and Ive been on the sick subject thats in arrest. Oh and the time I went on……I should have kept a scrap book of all the weird stuff I responded to.

My favorite was a child entrapment. We were dispatched (volunteers) and ran all out to get there thinking it was life threatening. We pull in to find one of our EMS officers already on scene shaking his head. Kid had his finger stuck in a wiffle ball. Three able body adults each with transportation and they call 911!

They were pissed when we used scissors to cut the ball and didn't transport the kid to the hospital. Then we made them really mad and handed them an envoice for the bill.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I dont believe they can attach federal benefits like foodstamps. They should be able to, but I dont think they can.

They can and they do.. all it takes is legislation for this specific purpose.

Moreover if the left opposes we get several free shots at election time.

"Is a child's life worth $ 5 a month ? Rep wingnut does not think so"

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My favorite was a child entrapment. We were dispatched (volunteers) and ran all out to get there thinking it was life threatening. We pull in to find one of our EMS officers already on scene shaking his head. Kid had his finger stuck in a wiffle ball. Three able body adults each with transportation and they call 911!

They were pissed when we used scissors to cut the ball and didn't transport the kid to the hospital. Then we made them really mad and handed them an envoice for the bill.

This is why ring cutters are so much fun, especially with expensive jewelry.

are you sure? are you really sure? ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom