Would a featureless TNW ASR comply w/ DC laws?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdsec

Sep 28, 2014
    I'd appreciate any comments on my following hypothesis...

So the TNW ASR is not prohibited by name in DC and if one were to eliminate the pistol grip with an ar spur http://ar15spur.com/ and replace the collapsible stock with a Magpul carbine fixed stock it would seem the rifle would be eligible for registration?

Am I way off base?

On another note, what happens if you bring a firearm down to the police station for registration and the officer determines it does not comply with DC laws? Is it confiscated?

Thanks for any information.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

So the TNW ASR is not prohibited by name in DC and if one were to eliminate the pistol grip with an ar spur http://ar15spur.com/ and replace the collapsible stock with a Magpul carbine fixed stock it would seem the rifle would be eligible for registration?

Am I way off base?

On another note, what happens if you bring a firearm down to the police station for registration and the officer determines it does not comply with DC laws? Is it confiscated?

Call and ask.

2027274275 Firearms registration section.

I have no idea, it would seem to make sense to me but then again.......ehh Ill bite my tongue :)

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

Am I way off base?

On what happens with a non compliant firearm: If you bought it retail and had it shipped to an FFL, and it is waiting for approval, and if you only have a residence in DC the sale just doesn't go through and you get some kind of refund after shipping and FFL fees.

If you bring it in presumably you already own it. They wont confiscate it but you have to remove it from DC immediately. DC laws don't pertain to what you can own, but only what you can have in DC. I had a pal who moved in from VA bring in a pistol with a threaded barrel and all they did was tell him it was not registerable in DC and to take it out of DC. Of course he let them know he was bringing one in ahead of time.

I do suppose you can fight it. On a new purchase of a handgun that goes through the FFL, sykes, and he can err on the side of caution, after all it is his own business. But since a long gun is strictly a compliance issue you can. Do be aware the language says Lanier can designate anything "unsafe," so in theory the District does have a fallback even if the language technically allows it.

mdsec

Sep 28, 2014
    Thank you so much for the information.
    The process is already expensive. I already own it and was concerned that non compliant firearms could be involuntarily included in a 'buy back' program/confiscated.

I'll update the forum with the outcome in about two months when I move.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Thank you so much for the information.
    The process is already expensive. I already own it and was concerned that non compliant firearms could be involuntarily included in a 'buy back' program/confiscated.

I'll update the forum with the outcome in about two months when I move.

The process of bringing one in that you already own is about $38 for the first firearm and $13 for subsequent ones.

Look I want to be careful about absolutes. it is always possible that they could confiscate something. It is just everyone I know who have been refused a legally owned gun, and I know a few, from another state of residence, have been told it Is unregisterable and they have to take it out.

so you want to be sure to call them first, give them serial number and tell them it is a legalized lower on an aR upper like the already approved SCR. Call ahead, and get the name of the officer you spoke with.

As I said there is the specific not allowed sets of features, but there is also the discretion of the police chief for anything she determines to be unsafe.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    FWIW from what I can tell they go by the 922 point system.

DC doesn't seem to like the pistol grip . They turned away several pistol grip equipped shotgun owners. YMMV however Pistol grip seem or 'ar' silhouette may not be good.

If they say no they seem to make the owner take it out of DC. Some rifles can be modified to be comply, but you may want to email them picture and information etc.

Good luck and safe shooting!

mdsec

Sep 28, 2014
    As an update...
    After initially being declined I was able to modify the stock to an acceptable non folding, non adjustable configuration and successfully register my TNW ASR.

One odd note was that the magpul fixed carbine stock was a disqualifying feature as the design was considered a thumbhole stock.

All in all the process was not too painful though definitely intrusive, expensive and inconvenient. I suppose the one redeeming fact is that it looks like I might actually be able to get a carry permit in DC.

Thanks for the guidance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      107.5 KB · Views: 552

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    FWIW from what I can tell they go by the 922 point system.

DC doesn't seem to like the pistol grip . They turned away several pistol grip equipped shotgun owners. YMMV however Pistol grip seem or 'ar' silhouette may not be good.

If they say no they seem to make the owner take it out of DC. Some rifles can be modified to be comply, but you may want to email them picture and information etc.

Good luck and safe shooting!

I wonder why...many 'sons' of DC have pistol grips...on their pistols.:sarcasm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom