• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Went to the range the other day and took my AR10 308 with ladders for the 155 TMK , 165 SST’s, 168 SMK’s, 178 Hornady Match HPBT’s and 225 gr Match HPBT’s. Ran through them in the above order when I was running the 178 gr ladder I loaded it up low to high RL 17 2.83 COAL. I was finishing ladder the first portion of ladder and I ran 47.5 through 49.5 gr loads instead of the 44 through 47, it ran 2,817 FPS at 49.5. The only thing that showed was a little faint smile so that was max. So I said what the hell run the 44 gr through 46.5 portion of the ladder last and record speeds. At 46.5 the round went through No concerns except I looked at the case and the primer was gone. Oops. I said to myself I should pull last round. Bad news the last round did not go totally into battery, and the bolt was locked with the live round in chamber. Tried motoring rifle, no joy tried placing a rod down chamber and pushing round out. No joy. So my day with the 308 was done and I was going to do the 225 gr ladder. not today!! On the way home tried to think how the rifle action was stuck. I rationalized that since the primmer was blown it bounced of boot face at the return stroke of the bolt and bounced it into the chamber. That way when the last round tried to push down to battery it jammed the round at the shoulder of the chamber catching the bolt with pressure on it just as it tried to twist and lock and the bottom of the bolt’s cycle. I got home and thought my only chance to dislodge it was to remove the free float barrel and the remove the barrel nut. I new the bolt would still have it jammed but loosening would alllow me to get a small amount of deflection of the ramps from the bolt which if moved back and forth enough might release the bolt from the ramps. Upper in vice I manipulated the barrel with back and forth pressure while placing a vice grip on the end of the bolt. After working off it trying to push the bolt back and forth while manipulating the barrel the bolt finally let loose bring out the live round with it.
    013745c9c82086c4c9f204d62ba73da1.jpg
    03a48a6c35769e91419a027656e5ea1d.jpg
    amazing it turned out to be lodged just as I had thought. The speed recorder was 2,436 FPS on the round while I had run up to 49.5 gr RL17 with no issue and at 2,817. So go figure blew primer 3 gr less than max at 49.5. gr. Got me puzzled. I have also read repeatedly about RL17 being slow enough that there is no way to get enough RL17 into a cartridge to get it to overpressure with people running extremely compressed load with 200 gr bullets no issues. All brass was brand new Winchester 308. All brass was fully resized wit win large primers. Could have been a loose pocket or is it more likely that I could have placed primer improperly. Who knows but it could have been a very expensive. Luckily everything cleaned up and functioned properly. I had a bore scope and the chamber seams fine so I am good to go. Just extremely puzzled. Any thoughts

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Also as an after thought after running 40 to 50 rounds down the 308 today. The RL17 performs great with the heavy rounds but boy is it dirty. Just the price of running slow burning nitro chem I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Your carrier looks rather dry...

Yes it was wiped it down before but as I said the powder burn fr reloader 17 was dirty. I did settle on loads though, I have loaded five shot ladders for accuracy 155 gr TMK’s 165 SST’s, 178. gr HPBT’s . Velocity should get 2,820 FPS from the 155’s, 2,776 from the 165,s These are all AR Comp loads, Then for the 178 and 225 RL17. 2,715 for the 178’s and I still want to do another ladder of three for the 225,s three at 46.1 gr, three at 46.2 gr and three at 46.3 gr. I got looks like I should get 2,425 . Then I’ll see what load shoots most accurate. All loads will make it to 1,000 yds supersonic with the 225 gr bullet leading the way remaining supersonic to 1,270 yds at sea level. With the 165 SST’s just getting there only supersonic to 1,030 yds. So for a 20” AR10 I am pretty happy. The BHW barrel is pretty sick though shoots clover leafs with M80 ball at 100 yds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom