• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gsintxz

Jul 14, 2018
    I am coming in from out of state and have a valid permit to carry.
    If i'm going to a friend's private property/land to go shooting, is that considered 'transportation between residences'? or would it fall under going to the range? or is this illegal altogether? I looked up the laws and couldn't find an answer to my particular situation (it doesn't help that there isn't much case law surrounding this either). I (of course) am planning on transporting it in a case, in the trunk, with the magazine removed

Thanks in advance!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Going to an organized shoot is one of the allowed activities under the MD statute 4-203.

You are legal to engage in this activity.

Unloaded in trunk is also in compliance.

IANAL

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Unfortunately your permit to carry doesn't mean anything here in Maryland.

If going across state lines then you should have ammo and firearm in separate compartments and if that isn't possible then make sure you have one of them secured, in a locked container would be as safe as you can, and both of them out of reach. That should keep you out of trouble to and from you buddies house.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You only need a separate locked container if your vehicle has no trunk.

And only the firearm or the ammo container needs to be locked not both per FOPA.

If you have a trunk, there is no requirement that ammo or firearm be in a locked case. Just unload.

And per the AG loaded mags are also legal.

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    You only need a separate locked container if your vehicle has no trunk.

And only the firearm or the ammo container needs to be locked not both per FOPA.

If you have a trunk, there is no requirement that ammo or firearm be in a locked case. Just unload.

And per the AG loaded mags are also legal.

Where is this guidance/law/interpretation?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD transport statute contains list of allowed activities and FOPA is more restrictive than the actual MD transport statute

MD 4-203
    FOPA Titlle 18 SS 926a

I will post AG opinion on loaded magazines

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    Sunofagun...didn't know this....thanks....

FOPA Titlle 18 SS 926a
    [interstate transportation of firearms]
    "That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the relevant portion from the MD transport statute 4-203.

Under allowed activities

Attachments

• md.jpg
      md.jpg
      23.6 KB · Views: 158

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I suffer from Maryland BGOS so regardless of what the law actually says I have arranged it so I have lockable containers for all guns and ammunition when transporting. The locks may be cheap "luggage" locks and the container may be nothing more than a pistol rug with the zipper locked to the sewn D ring. The ammo container may be just an ammo can with a length of chain around it locked to the handle. But if I ever end up in court I want the jury to hear the testimony "It was in a locked container." I consider it just a minor inconvenience as cheap insurance that I hope I will never use.

gsintxz

Jul 14, 2018
    Yeah I know, I was just saying i have a pemit to carry. haha. and thanks for
    the response!

Unfortunately your permit to carry doesn't mean anything here in Maryland.

If going across state lines then you should have ammo and firearm in separate compartments and if that isn't possible then make sure you have one of them secured, in a locked container would be as safe as you can, and both of them out of reach. That should keep you out of trouble to and from you buddies house.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , informal target shooting is an approved destination to transport .

Without stepping into How to Transport Twilight Zone , observe the OP in this thread is discussing traveling from out of state to his friend's private range . Hence it is wisest for him to transport within FOPA standards for Interstate travel .

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Yes , informal target shooting is an approved destination to transport .

Without stepping into How to Transport Twilight Zone , observe the OP in this thread is discussing traveling from out of state to his friend's private range . Hence it is wisest for him to transport within FOPA standards for Interstate travel .

I'll also add to that. If you don't do anything goofy on the road the po-po will not have occasion to stop and check your transport arrangements in the first place. They have many better things to do than wait to entrap YOU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom