• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    This is a warning to those whom had previously applied for a DC permit back in 2016 and were denied for not having G&S. DCPD said you could just request that your previous application be reused by signing a form. On 10/6/17 I had gone into the DC permit office and signed the letter to have my application reused. It seemed to easy, and it was. Today I called to check status since we have passed 90 days and first was told they have not looked at it yet, and then got a second officer who said no they had looked over my info but I was missing proof of residence. As he went on to explain, they change the processing procedure and the old appplications did not ask for proof of residence previously. SO if you fall into this catagory of applicant, I would call them and check on your status. They will let you wait for 90 days and then let you know your missing documents and hold things up longer.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    This is a warning to those whom had previously applied for a DC permit back in 2016 and were denied for not having G&S. DCPD said you could just request that your previous application be reused by signing a form. On 10/6/17 I had gone into the DC permit office and signed the letter to have my application reused. It seemed to easy, and it was. Today I called to check status since we have passed 90 days and first was told they have not looked at it yet, and then got a second officer who said no they had looked over my info but I was missing proof of residence. As he went on to explain, they change the processing procedure and the old appplications did not ask for proof of residence previously. SO if you fall into this catagory of applicant, I would call them and check on your status. They will let you wait for 90 days and then let you know your missing documents and hold things up longer.

This happened to me as well. I re-applied around the same time you did. I was only asked to sign the one page form/statement that nothing had changed. Last month I submitted some additional training documentation, hoping it would expedite things when my 90 days were up, and when they looked up my status they said it was on hold awaiting a new, full application. No call, no email, nothing. :mad54:. The bonkers part is I actually brought in a new full application on DAY ONE, just to prevent this sort of paperwork mishap, and they told me they didn't want it.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    This happened to me as well. I re-applied around the same time you did. I was only asked to sign the one page form/statement that nothing had changed. Last month I submitted some additional training documentation, hoping it would expedite things when my 90 days were up, and when they looked up my status they said it was on hold awaiting a new, full application. No call, no email, nothing. :mad54:. The bonkers part is I actually brought in a new full application on DAY ONE, just to prevent this sort of paperwork mishap, and they told me they didn't want it.

Just wonderful. No one tell me they don't do this on purpose.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    sure is. How could they not figure out that the process had changed and old applicants needed to be notified?

I think it was intentional.

What a disaster this is.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Bummer to hear that OP, but thanks for the heads up.

That original form they issued to previously denied applicants in October was withdrawn. I was told this by SPO King back then and instead went down to DC to submit a fresh application. Don't know which thread I posted that in, since we have a bunch now.

They have multiple documents/permits from me that show my current address and was just told that I should see a pre-approval letter in the mail shortly. My 90 days is up on the 23rd.

Stay on them!

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

Have they updated you yet, after submitting the full form?

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC

When I went in on Oct 10th and signed the statement that nothing has changed form they also took a photocopy of my drivers license. That may have made the difference since I've been told that my file is in the Chief's office awaiting final approval. It's unlikely it'll be back before next week(today is day 94).

What I do know is that if your application is at 90 days or close to it, and you don't call to check on it, it could sit well past the 90 days before they even review it.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    They’ve had no problem trampling on our constitutional rights, so it doesn’t surprise me that they can’t even follow their own regulations.

DCMR 2339.1 The Chief shall issue a preliminary approval to carry a concealed pistol or provide a written denial of the ap- plication within a reasonable time after receiving an application containing all required supporting documents, with the exception of proof of completion of the firearms training requirements. A reasonable period of time shall normally be within ninety (90) days; however, the time may be extended by the Chief for an additional ninety (90) days where there is good cause for additional time to complete the investigation and the applicant is so notified in writing.

https://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/f... Concealed Pistols_through August 25 2017.pdf

balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    Update,
    I gave them a week and called back today and was told my application is in the final stage and is on the chief's desk. When I asked about when to expect it to be done, Ofc. King said whenever the chief is done with it. It should be done in a few days and he will contact me. When he started to tell me it is a 90 day process, and I informed him it is now 100 days he came back with, you have 2 choices, withdraw the application or wait for it's completion. I will be calling him back Thursday.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    IMO Ofc. King seems to be a pretty straight up guy regarding the process. He handles a wide range of permitting including LEOSA, security guards, etc. and appears to be at his work load limit. It's up to the Mayor and Chief to commit more resources to that office but it's not in their political interests to do so.

balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    I could tell he is stressed. But it goes with the job. I also heard from a friend of mine who had applied at the same time I did, and they just sent him a letter which he got last weekend that asked for more information. Of coarse most of it is stuff they were already given or things they said they didn't need when we dropped off our apps. They also said they had no record of the firearm which he had registered at the time.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    When he started to tell me it is a 90 day process, and I informed him it is now 100 days he came back with, you have 2 choices, withdraw the application or wait for it's completion. I will be calling him back Thursday.

I think we have more choices then 2, but they don't want to know that.

balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    I know. With the way they are doing things, I am sure a case can be make that they are trying to drag this out as long as they can. If you tell people that their applications are ok and wait 90 days to tell them that the processed changed since your application was submitted and you need more information, that would be deliberate stalling. They have known hundreds of applications are incorrect and did not inform people. If they keep this up, they will be sued again.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Be careful they might put your app back in the bottom of the pile!

For real. People mistake this process is being handled by a firm that wants your business. The vinegar approach may not be prudent.

The "When I/he gets to it" must be an answer in the civil service manual. Have heard exactly the same at other agencies.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Only major problem I see is having valid training when you apply and the training expiring while your application sits on someone's desk.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    They have known hundreds of applications are incorrect and did not inform people. If they keep this up, they will be sued again.

Additionally, it is not as if they have been diligently processing applications from day one, and are simply resource constrained. They purposefully sat on applications for as close to their own 90 day timer as they thought possible, for the express purpose of further constitutional infringement.

I wonder if Wrenn or Grace have their permits in hand yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom