• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Looking at a Howa 1500, TC Venture, Mossberg Patriot or a Savage but can't decide on 30-06, 308, 270, or 7mm-08. Don't want a light weight rifle looking for something that can absorb the recoil but also something that is comfortable to carry. BTW my budget is no more than 800 and that includes optics.

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    This rifle will mainly be used here in Maryland for white tail but with the possibility of an elk hunt a few years down the road.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Savage hog hunter. I got one in 308 but for large game id go 30-06. They are very very accurate rifles and fits your budget well.

One of the IP has sweet deals on them every year as well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Notice your in Hagerstown I live in Frederick I remember you posted on another posting over a year ago. If you still have your hog hunter would love to see how it shoots if that is ok with you and if you have the time.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Since you mentioned the possibility of an Elk hunt I would go with 30-06, wide variety of bullets available including heavy ones.
    Don't discount buying used, lots of little used very good hunting rifles out there, I picked up this pre 64 Winchester Model 70 30-06 in your price range and it is very accurate with a butter smooth action. Hard to find anything of this quality made today unless you go Cooper or other higher end manufacturers.

Attachments

• IMG_2079.jpg
      IMG_2079.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 369

RossL

Dec 29, 2015
    No CZ in your list? They make an excellent rifle! A bit pricey but they usually don't need upgrades.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I would go Savage or Ruger American Series out of your choices.

Both will not disappoint. Hell, the Ruger American can be had with a nice optic for under your budget.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I just got a new Mossberg Patriot in 22-250 shot it on Thursday and did good. 3" groups at 100 yard. My breathing was terrible (too much coffee) so hard to tell if it will do better, and I think it will. So for a low end rifle it was good. The trigger pull was ok not great. A stiff trigger pull has never bothered me though. Also note I reload and start with low end stuff and work up till I get the right mix of components. I loaded 100 rounds with Prvi primer, bullet (SP) and brass with 33.0 grain IMR 3031. Will shoot again tomorrow (no coffee) and see if it (or I) will do better.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Go with a Savage, accutrigger is a nice feature. A nice Leupold VXII scope and your under your budget.
    I've got 4, 2 with Leuplod VXII's, 1 with a Nikon and 1 with a Burris. They are all tack drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom