• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    I have just been invited to go deer hunting with my wife's uncle. He owns a 300 acre ranch in South Dakota with rights to hunt the 1000 acre ranch next to it. My dilemma is that i don't have any rifles capable of killing deer out to 400 yds. I only bow hunt here in maryland. And all my rifles are C&R mausers and mosins. I have two different choices I am considering. I have an AR stripped lower that I was going to do a precision gun build with in .223. Are there any ar15 compatible calipers capable of having the muzzle energy to kill deer at 400yds? My second option is to simply Go and buy a bolt gun I was considering a Remington 700 in 300 win mag. Please feel free to give me any and all opinions I am open to all suggestions just give me some facts to help back em up.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    AR is a non starter.

Get yourself a dedicated bolt gun.

7mm magnum would shoot flat enough and still have effective energy.

A .270 would work too.

And stay the hell away from anything 700.

Browning!

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I'm unaware of any AR15 based caliber which will get the job done at 400 yards. A bolt gun chambered in 300 will definitely serve you well.
    Surely somebody will be along soon to disagree and discount my opinion. That's just the way things are around here.:sad20:

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    AR is a non starter.

Get yourself a dedicated bolt gun.

7mm magnum would shoot flat enough and still have effective energy.

And stay the hell away from anything 700.

I have shot 7mm mags before and liked it. What's wrong with the 700's and what would you'll you reccomend?

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    I'm unaware of any AR15 based caliber which will get the job done at 400 yards. A bolt gun chambered in 300 will definitely serve you well.
    Surely somebody will be along soon to disagree and discount my opinion. That's just the way things are around here.:sad20:

That's why I posed the question. I can read all day long but if people give me there real world experiences I can add that too my knowledge base.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I have shot 7mm mags before and liked it. What's wrong with the 700's and what would you'll you reccomend?

Some of them have a tendency to go bang when they're not supposed to.

Huge recall for triggers.

Other Remington bolt guns have had their bolt handles break loose at the braze point on the bolt body.

Buy a Browning A-Bolt and never look back.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Some of them have a tendency to go bang when they're not supposed to.

Huge recall for triggers.

Other Remington bolt guns have had their bolt handles break loose at the braze point on the bolt body.

Buy a Browning A-Bolt and never look back.

:thumbsup:I like the way this guy thinks. I've hunted with a Browning 7mm Magnum for a long time. It's served me well with Caribou, Deer and next year if all goes well Elk.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No offence but, are you capable of pulling off a killing shot at 400+ yds. with a rifle you are not accustomed to? If yes then, anything in a 300 win mag or even better, 300 win short mag will serve you well. just depends on how deep your pockets are. With bolt guns, you usually get what you pay for. Look at Winchester, Weatherby, Remington, what else?

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    No offence but, are you capable of pulling off a killing shot at 400+ yds. with a rifle you are not accustomed to? If yes then, anything in a 300 win mag or even better, 300 win short mag will serve you well. just depends on how deep your pockets are. With bolt guns, you usually get what you pay for. Look at Winchester, Weatherby, Remington, what else?

I am buying the rifle now for next years deer season and plan on shooting a lot to get used to it plus working up a hand load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom