Federal Fusion slug results (very graphic)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    So I'm finally sitting down to do this amateur CSI-esque review of Federal's Fusion 12 ga., 2 3/4" sabot slug. But first, let me say...

WARNING: EXTREMELY GRAPHIC DEAD DEER PICTURES!!!!!

Specs on the slug, as per the box, are 7/8 oz copper plated hollow points moving at 1600 fps. To be honest, I didn't expect much from these slugs. I'm a heavy-for-caliber kind of guy. No replacement for displacement. I like 230grain .45s and 1oz+ slugs. Hell, the slug here looks like something from the 20 ga. family. The only reason I used them was because they were cheaper to shoot and easy to find, so my gun was still dialed in from the last range trip. So this kind of surprised me in the end.

As for the shot, it was about 35-40 yds. out, left side exposed and facing away at a pretty good angle (explaining the shot placement.) I should have hit 1-1.5" left of POI, but I think it had something to do with the extra 2 layers of coats throwing off my aim that morning. Shot struck slightly forward of center, through a lung, grazed the heart, and exited just off the right front shoulder. The deer ran about 50 yds. through light brush before death. The blood trail was very large and noticeable at the initial scene, but faded quickly past 15 yds. Still no problem finding it, as it never changed direction. Deer was about 75# dressed and I guess at 1.5 years old. Now onto armchair CSI;

Pic 1: The deer as I found it. Blue arrow shows exit wound.

Pic 2: Entry wound. Deer was laying on this side, so significantly more blood has pooled out of this hole.

Pic 3: Entry wound, no skin. Massive immediate damage. Large affected area. Hole is approx. 2.5" wide by 6" long.

Pic 4: Exit wound, no skin. Blue arrow shows exit hole. Here's where it gets interesting. You'd think the big bloody hole is the exit but it's not. As far as I can tell, the slug was heading that way, but rode the shoulder bone out to the front edge of the bone, making a relatively small exit hole, not much bigger than the slug's diameter. The shoulder did not separate, but did lose a lot of inside tissue due to tearing damage.

What you can't see is the gut pile. Really, it's not much different than any other slug I've seen. A hole the size of my thumb through the lung and part of the heart torn up. I did not hit the stomach or any other bad parts (thankfully.)

That's all I have to say for now. Maybe someone with more experience can add on to this or share their experiences.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      151.8 KB · Views: 2,610
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      171.3 KB · Views: 2,251
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      90.2 KB · Views: 2,385
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      103.3 KB · Views: 2,710

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I would not have taken that shot. But that's just me.

I probably would have taken that shot. The Barnes Expander slug I posted pics of was almost the same shot, but from the rear going forward as the deer was quartering away.

Granted, I am trying to figure out how the slug entered so low on the front leg and exited somewhat higher on the mid section, but who knows. I probably would have aimed a little higher, and the OP very well might have aimed higher with the bullet entry being the result that it is.

End of the day, I doubt that deer went very far at all.

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    I probably would have taken that shot. The Barnes Expander slug I posted pics of was almost the same shot, but from the rear going forward as the deer was quartering away.

Granted, I am trying to figure out how the slug entered so low on the front leg and exited somewhat higher on the mid section, but who knows. I probably would have aimed a little higher, and the OP very well might have aimed higher with the bullet entry being the result that it is.

End of the day, I doubt that deer went very far at all.

It's the opposite, the first pic shows the exit wound.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    My issue with the fusion is that that are all over the map out of both my 12 and 20 ga shotguns. Last time I qualified, the RSO even commented that he saw a lot of people use those when qualifying, he saw a lot of large groups.

Incidentally, I think the 1600 fps spec on the box is based on a 30" barrel. You mileage may very. Out of a 22" probably closer to 1400.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Did you actually weigh that deer and it weighed 75lbs dressed? Or did you guess? Looks a little smaller than that to me. And it looks like a yearling with the short snout and arched back. Of course pictures can be deceiving and it'll still taste good but I wouldn't switch my ammunition based upon the damage to a yearling.

shrpshtrjoe

Aug 10, 2009
    Cecil Co
    I'm sighted in with these slugs right now they didn't shoot bad in my 1100.. I haven't shot anything with them yet though.. I tried them because they were cheaper.. I'm in the process of loading 12ga sabots now so hopefully I wont have to pay the high price for long.. Congrats on your deer

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    every time I see that classic remington receiver silhouette I think of my 742 in .30-06

Some guns are magic, they seem to always hit what they're aimed at.

If your 870 continues to perform this way, hopefully this will be one of those guns, if it isn't already

AV8OR

Jan 22, 2010
    The fusions I have tried have been horrible with iron sights. No real pattern. Cheap and fun to shoot though.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    So, Goose Guy...based on what you have presented here, do you think you would use these again as you are satisfied with the performance or do you think it was luck and an eratic or odd performance from the slug?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Damn who's dog you shoot!?

Just kidding, I prefer to shot the deer that still have spots on their but. Their tasty! And tender.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    If you skin down the front legs more, those are "shanks". Like, you braise them.
    Or your cat might like the meat. No sense to waste it.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    That's going to be one tasty young'en.

I have similar luck with Hornady SST Sabot slugs. The Federals are a bit cheaper, so looks like I'm gonna switch.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    That's going to be one tasty young'en.

I have similar luck with Hornady SST Sabot slugs. The Federals are a bit cheaper, so looks like I'm gonna switch.

I used SST's and I did not have that kind of devastation. Small entry and maybe a silver dollar exit. Hit just on the back of the shoulder, fully broadside.

Maybe I just got lucky?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom