Is a Gun Safe in Garage, not Climate controlled, Ok?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I have limited space in my house interior for a gun safe. I just ordered a Fort Knox Maverick Safe. I would like to put in my Garage which is not climate controlled but it protected by a security alarm. I will also be bolting the safe to the floor. If I put a Golden Rod in the safe will this suffice to protect the guns?

I could put the safe inside the home but I would have to tear up an existing closet to make it big enough to fit the safe and it will be a bit more difficult getting the safe in the basement than it would be the garage.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Lots of people do it. Make sure all metal is oiled with something like Eezox or Ballistol, including bores. Two or more Goldenrods will do a better job than one. Goldenrods cost chump change compared to most firearms.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Your heaters need to have enough power to keep the inside of the safe above dew point at all times, but if you have wood furniture, you don't want to dry out the wood to the point it cracks.

4gun-drill

Jul 27, 2012
    The best thing to do is keep it elevated off of the concrete floor. The temperature difference between the ambient temperature and the concrete causes large swings inside the safe and that is what causes the moisture to condense on the firearms. You can do this and still bolt it to the ground. If you are not bolting it down, a pallet works well or the rubber floor mats used in factories and such (lowes or home depot) work well too. A golden rod is a good option too but it does not dry the air. It only increases the dew point and therefore reduces the condensation. I reccomend a dessicant as well. I use the DampRid bags that are designed to hang in a closet. It is crazy how much water will be absorbed. Also, you can try a VCI emitter. They work well and I think better than coating with grease or oil. One last thing.... get a hydrometer. A cheap one can be had for 10$ or so. Calibrate it first and then keep at 50-55% RH. This will keep your stocks from drying out. These are the methods I use (no golden rod) and have never had an issue. Good luck.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    For keeping it off the floor, a couple of 4x4s will work and won't be as unsightly/cumbersome as a pallet. However... Keep in mind that if it's up on 4x4s, it makes it a LOT easier to get a pallet jack under it to roll it out the door. But if you have an alarm system, that brings the risk factor down, considerably.

That said...

Keep in mind that while dehumidifiers will protect the guns, the actual lock is often not protected by the safes insulation. And moisture and extreme temperatures can wreak havoc with electronic locks.

I would go with a *good* mechanical lock. And as long as it living in a non climate controlled environment, I would have the lock professionally serviced at least bi-annually. (Or the minute you notice it acting sluggish in the cold.)

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Thanks guys. I will build a platform for the safe and bolt both to floor. I did order a mechanical lock on the safe. I don't trust the electronic locks.

scouse

Mar 6, 2013
    Havana on the Severn
    Thanks guys. I will build a platform for the safe and bolt both to floor. I did order a mechanical lock on the safe. I don't trust the electronic locks.
    You may have already thought of this but it seems to me that if you were to make a square of 4 x 4's (rather than just a left and right stringer) the same size as, or slightly larger than, the base of the safe, you would make it very difficult to use a jack between the safe and the garage floor.

Freebie

Jul 20, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Garage Safe Advice/Thank you

Thanks for all the ideas.

I will have a safe arriving in the next few months, and the garage looks like the best option.

I think I'd go for the gym/rubber mats bolted to the floor option. Any advice on that install or its pros/cons?

Freebie

Jul 20, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Also, does anyone have expert advice to offer me as I look at which safe to buy? I need room for a ps90, 5.7 pistol, a shotgun (next expected purchase), and ammo and some valuables and paperwork.

I'm looking in the $1000-2000 range

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    Also, does anyone have expert advice to offer me as I look at which safe to buy? I need room for a ps90, 5.7 pistol, a shotgun (next expected purchase), and ammo and some valuables and paperwork.

Fort Knox makes a nice safe but I am not sure you are going to be able to get anything in that price range.
    I went with a Sturdy Safe. Nothing to look at , but I wanted security other then a shiny paint job .

http://www.sturdysafe.com/

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I have two safes in a non-climate controlled space bolted down through 1x6's.

I put rechargeable dehumidifiers in them (and recharge whenever the indicator changes to the appropriate color). The space goes through temps from well below zero to the mid/upper 80's and I have not had a bit of rust appear yet. I do make sure the firearms are protected with Eezox whenever I put them away. One is an electronic lock, the other manual and both have been gtg for the 4 years they have been in this climate. The space is protected by an alarm system and also re-enforced concrete walls with 1/4" steel doors that I had specially constructed.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty

I got a Fort Knox safe from A1 Uniforms with their "special deal" on the opening order. I ordered the Maverick and got a price sub $1,200.00. You can still easily stay sub $2,000 for a Fort Knox safe at full retail. I think they are among the best safes out there.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    I have limited space in my house interior for a gun safe. I just ordered a Fort Knox Maverick Safe. I would like to put in my Garage which is not climate controlled but it protected by a security alarm. I will also be bolting the safe to the floor. If I put a Golden Rod in the safe will this suffice to protect the guns?

I could put the safe inside the home but I would have to tear up an existing closet to make it big enough to fit the safe and it will be a bit more difficult getting the safe in the basement than it would be the garage.

Safest place for your guns is in your hands. ;-)

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011

Depending on where you live LE on average will not get there for 20 minutes. How long do you think it would take for the garage to be broken into and a pick-up could have your safe loaded into it?

If you're trying to protect something good buy a Liberty safe and put it in a corner down in your basement.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Depending on where you live LE on average will not get there for 20 minutes. How long do you think it would take for the garage to be broken into and a pick-up could have your safe loaded into it?

If you're trying to protect something good buy a Liberty safe and put it in a corner down in your basement.

Pretty sure he is talking about bolting it to the floor. Did I miss something?

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    If you're gonna put the safe in the garage- you might as well add climate control to the garage.... It'll make it nice and comfy when you end up sleeping next to the guns, because you tried to explain to your wife why you need ANOTHER safe.

This a the simplest and most proactive solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom