• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Hardiman, Kavanaugh or Sykes are the ONLY Judges with pro-2A opinions and/or dissents. Barrett can wait, develop more seat time at a Circuit Court, Garner more than religious dicta and opinion. Give her 5 more years on the Circuit bench...

[/]soapbox

Ray Kethledge was part of a good concurrence in the Tyler case.

I think there are others with some pro 2A opinions that are on the list of 20 judges but aren't favorites. The FL Supreme court judge Canady had a good dissent in the Norman case.
    Sykes is good but the ship appears to have sailed on her because of her age (60).

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    So, why did Kennedy go through the process of bringing on new clerks for 2018 (pretty sure I heard that on the news) as if he was staying? Does the new justice inherit them? Do they have any impact at all on the new appointee?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    So, why did Kennedy go through the process of bringing on new clerks for 2018 (pretty sure I heard that on the news) as if he was staying? Does the new justice inherit them? Do they have any impact at all on the new appointee?

Maybe he didn't like the rampant speculation (even though there's been speculation about him for years now).

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Could be a million reasons, like maybe he was undecided. His clerks are the cream of the cream of the crop, they probably will have 5 good offers before they even publish their resume.

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/06/jus...-from-the-supreme-court-answers-to-your-faqs/

What happens to Justice Kennedy’s law clerks?

Don’t worry too much about them. If precedent holds — and it certainly does at SCOTUS — they will all wind up clerking for the Court.

As a retired justice, AMK is entitled to one clerk, who will assist him on various matters — e.g., speeches, books, cases he might hear while sitting by designation on a circuit court — and who will also get farmed out to work for an active justice. The other three clerks will most likely get hired by other justices, either Justice Kennedy’s successor or one of the current justices.

If Judge Kavanaugh or Judge Kethledge were to replace Justice Kennedy, it would be especially likely for the AMK clerks to get picked up by Kennedy’s successor. Both judges are former Kennedy clerks who feel a certain loyalty to their boss and would probably be happy to help out in this way. And note that of the four orphaned AMK clerks, one clerked for Kethledge (Alex Kazam) and one clerked for Kavanaugh (Clayton Kozinski). If either judge were to become a justice, he’d surely be happy to be reunited with a clerk he viewed highly enough to recommend to Justice Kennedy.

btw if Clayton Kozinski sounds familiar, yes he is the son of Alex Kozinski of 9th circuit:

Clayton Kozinski’s hiring by Justice Kennedy should surprise no one. Clayton is (1) a Yale Law School graduate; (2) a law clerk to Judge Brett Kavanaugh, a top feeder judge and former AMK clerk; and (3) son of Judge Alex Kozinski, also a top feeder judge and former AMK clerk.

https://abovethelaw.com/2017/07/supreme-court-clerk-hiring-watch-to-know-a-judge-know-her-clerks/

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    He is the reason the 2nd amendment is recognized as an individual right.

He's also the reason that ruling was tightly restricted in its scope. But I do share some appreciation for Kennedy signing on to the overall sentiment. It was helpful and it was a solid step in the right direction.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    He's also the reason that ruling was tightly restricted in its scope. But I do share some appreciation for Kennedy signing on to the overall sentiment. It was helpful and it was a solid step in the right direction.

We still don't know that for sure, it's possible Roberts was the one responsible (or both).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom