• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDuphis

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pikesville
    Finally have the Sat V ready to go. Had an clear/top coat incompatibility nightmare, but I think I salvaged it ok.

Attachments

• sat-v-sm.jpg
      sat-v-sm.jpg
      20.9 KB · Views: 343

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    We are scheduled to do our first launch tomorrow. We built 2 rockets and bought 10 engines. Here's to hoping we use more than 2 engines total lol.

My son wanted to dory it.

Attachments

• IMG_3522.jpg
      IMG_3522.jpg
      52.4 KB · Views: 309
    • IMG_3523.jpg
      IMG_3523.jpg
      30.4 KB · Views: 309

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Finally have the Sat V ready to go. Had an clear/top coat incompatibility nightmare, but I think I salvaged it ok.

Beautiful job! The Estes Saturn V (I'm 99.99% sure that's what you have there) is one of the hardest builds I've ever done. It definitely draws on ALL of one's building experience, from cutting/gluing on the vacuum formed wraps, to masking the complex corrugations and painting.

I built mine to fly with nozzles in place - flying on a center 24mm motor, using Aerotech F24-4 reloads (I put extra nose weight up front, to counter the extra weight in the tail, and substituted quality nylon chutes for the stock plastic junk). It's only flown a few times, but flawlessly.

BigDuphis

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pikesville
    Beautiful job! The Estes Saturn V (I'm 99.99% sure that's what you have there) is one of the hardest builds I've ever done. It definitely draws on ALL of one's building experience, from cutting/gluing on the vacuum formed wraps, to masking the complex corrugations and painting.

I built mine to fly with nozzles in place - flying on a center 24mm motor, using Aerotech F24-4 reloads (I put extra nose weight up front, to counter the extra weight in the tail, and substituted quality nylon chutes for the stock plastic junk). It's only flown a few times, but flawlessly.

Totally agree, I've been in the hobby since I was a kid and that thing was hands down the most complicated build. I took about 2 months on it, and wanted to build this one bone stock, as light as a could so it'd still go on a d12.
    First flight attempt last month I thought I'd play it safe and did an AT 24mm rms d15 for the little extra kick of a full D. My playing it safe bit me as it decided to overpressure and blow the rear closure off. Thankfully it only pushed the motor mount up a few inches and was easy to repair. I was going to fly it today out at My. Airy, but it was too windy, that's a calm weather bird only. I think a su e20 would be good too, I think the white lightning flame would look good on it, and not get it going too fast to lose the slower realistic flight.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    We are scheduled to do our first launch tomorrow. We built 2 rockets and bought 10 engines. Here's to hoping we use more than 2 engines total lol.

My son wanted to dory it.

The bigger rocket had a total of 6 successful launches. Sadly little dory ship was a 1 and done. I don't think it ejected the streamer. I saw where it landed which was in a field of tall grass. I searched for awhile but in the end I let the field win.

RIP little dory ship.

Kids LOVED it.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The bigger rocket had a total of 6 successful launches. Sadly little dory ship was a 1 and done. I don't think it ejected the streamer. I saw where it landed which was in a field of tall grass. I searched for awhile but in the end I let the field win.

RIP little dory ship.

Kids LOVED it.

Dory just had a little short term memory loss. She'll be home eventually ;)

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Dory be all dried up now.

Looks like toys r us is trying to clean out their inventory I bought all the remaining As and Bs at the local store.

Anyone looking to stock up. Check out toys r us. $6.98 is pretty darn good for a pack of rocket engines.

I did grab a single package of Cs but I'm thinking that's a good one to use when the rocket is on its last leg. B seems perfect for our field.

Attachments

• IMG_3665.jpg
      IMG_3665.jpg
      81.7 KB · Views: 224
    • IMG_3666.jpg
      IMG_3666.jpg
      77.8 KB · Views: 223

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    20245433_1550880951650940_1006971859689148516_n.jpg

Dory ship dos. This time with huggable sky bound otters

Hopefully we get 2 flights out of it lol

Attachments

• IMG_3776.jpg
      IMG_3776.jpg
      86.6 KB · Views: 218
    • IMG_3777.jpg
      IMG_3777.jpg
      67.9 KB · Views: 213
    • IMG_3787.jpg
      IMG_3787.jpg
      39.1 KB · Views: 217

ccarson

I'm old school
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 28, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Man I miss model rockets
    My son and I would build and launch with the Indian Guides. We would cut and build or on mylar parachutes because they looked cooler
    good memories

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    My Crossfire floated from Mt Airy to PA I think.. I took a lot of time on that build beveling each fin and finlet. The thing flies fast, high and true.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Did 3 launches today. It was too windy so I didn't want to use any of the new ones but my original taped up rocket did well... until I strapped a C motor in it lol. It worked flawlessly but the wind carried it into some high trees.

I told my son a squirrel would store nuts in it and would one day launch off to space. About 10-25 minute later my son randomly said "I don't want the squirrel to take my rocket to space"

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Is there a place to do this in/near western md or is it fair game since we are away from DC?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jef955

Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    As long as you're outside the DCA FRZ and have permission to fly you're good. Westminster area you should be ok, but always double check..

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Boy and I were 10 for 10 last week at his Aunt's pasture. Nothing like having 150 acres at your disposal..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom