• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I'm looking at the Cynergy CX and the Citori 725 field. Both feel really good. The Citori is more expensive but not sure why.
    Citori is the better shotgun versus Cynergy and locks up like a bank vault. Cynergy is what to buy if your budget dictates. Citori is what to buy if you want a shotgun that can last multiple generations.
    Think Chevy vs. Buick....they're both built by GM....just expect a bit more fit and finish from a Buick (at least traditionally)

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have an older model 686 (White Onyx Sporting) and it is a very solid gun. I paid $1800 back in 2007. It sounds like your getting a steal if it's truly new. My only caution is that it sounds like a field model and not a sporting/target model. Target guns tend to have heavier construction than field guns and don't have automatic safety mechanisms.

Yes - I do want the sporting model. The quote I gave was for a field gun. The Sporter is a bit more, but not really that much.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I highly recommend the 725 Sporting if you can afford it and it fits you. Very nice shotgun. My clays O/U is a 425 American Sporter Gold.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Everything has pretty much been covered here. I am a Beretta guy and last summer I was at Cabela's looking at DT-11 shotguns. I tried out 3 of them. The first two did not fit well. One comb was slightly too high, the other slightly too low. The third one was just right. It was tough to walk away from that gun without buying it. Granted, they all had adjustable stocks like my 682, but that third one did not need any adjustment and with the one that had a slightly too high comb, no adjustment would work anyway.

Fit really is important on the $1,000 to $2,000 o/u guns because they usually do not come with adjustable stocks. Figure out which brand has the correct LOP for you. All my Berettas are 14.25" LOP except the youth model 20 gauge which is 13.75" lop. Pretty sure Beretta makes some semis with a reduced LOP for adults, but not so sure about the $1,000 to $2,000 level o/u guns.

For what it is worth, my dad has been hunting with a 1996ish 686 Onyx sporting clays gun and that thing has seen some abuse. He killed a goose with it last week. Took two shots, but feathers came off the bird both times.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I recommend a used Beretta 682 sporting. You should be able to find a nice one in your price range. Then get fitted for it. Fitting is really important if you are not average size or shoot with the gun down.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Tried a friend's Browning once. Stock punched me in the cheekbone on every shot. Never had that problem with any other Over/Under. Just a personal stock fit issue for me.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Tried a friend's Browning once. Stock punched me in the cheekbone on every shot. Never had that problem with any other Over/Under. Just a personal stock fit issue for me.

That's why you have to take your time when buying an O/U. When you handle one that fits, it's obvious. The sight plane is naturally right where it needs to be when you bring the gun to your shoulder. If you have to contort your head/neck at all, the shotgun doesn't fit you.

You also have to pay attention to the cast of the stock. Can vary from gun to gun with a wooden stock. I'm LH. If I try to shoot a shotgun with a RH cast, the stock punches me in the face, as you encountered.

roger8918

Nov 14, 2010
    BERETTA 686 SILVER PIGEON I - SPORTING (COMPETITION) MODEL for $1,802.39 (includes shipping) from Grab A Gun. very tempting ...

Love the gun, my daughter shoots one with a PFS on it. Make sure it fits well. Its light and you will feel it.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I would advise you to avoid the low cost alternatives (Tristar, Mossberg, CZ, Lanber, Stevens, etc.) For the money you save you will sacrifice the fit, finish, feel, looks and reliability that probably pointed you to an O/U in the first place.

For not much over $500 you can buy a good looking serviceable Turkish semi (Weatherby, Tristar, Mossberg) or a used Remington or Beretta. Around $1000 you can find a nice used semi. If you know what you're looking at you can find a good used O/U in the $1000 - $1500 range. Right now I feel like Browning Cynergy's are a great value.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I purchased the SP 1 Sporting 32" version in October. I like it but my trap scores did not automatically improve!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom