• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I'm hoping folks that have standard handheld pistols will chime in with their experiences using suppressors on these guns.

I picked up 9mm threaded barrels for my Glock and Beretta a little over a year ago. Since then I've waffled on actually getting the suppressor.

1) Does the added weight get tiring at the range? I've read the recoil springs usually need to be beefed up, but are there other mod's I need to do?

2) How do you sight with it? I'm OK with both eyes open sighting that probably will help, but how much accuracy do you lose?

3) Should I really get a 45 vs 9mm suppressor? I have both pistol calibers, but my favorite range guns are the Glock 19 and Beretta 92SB.

4) Do you ever burn your hands accidentally handling the suppressor while it's hot? How long does it take to cool down after shooting 100 rounds of ammo?

5) Any issues traveling to PA or WV with one?

The more I read about the pistol caliber suppressors, the more it seems folks are building SBRs. I'm just looking at swapping one between these 2 guns.

Thanks for any info you want to share.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Lots of questions...

Starting at the top, for me, the weight isn't really a factor. What I notice more is the added length but that has both pro's and con's. The con's are obvious but the largest pro is that generally it balances the firearm a little better and reduces the muzzle flip. So generally follow up shots tend to be a little easier (for me) however transitions with the additional length - are generally a tad slower. For the other easy ones - does it get hot, yes absolutely but all suppressors do. If you were catching exploding gasses - you would too. I generally wear gloves when I use my suppressors but you don't have to. At the end of my fun - I'll either give it a couple to cool or use my suppressor cover to take off. There's no issues with PA or WV travels (but no DE travel).

For sights - most suppressors will impact any non-suppressor sights. There's several suppressors that either have no impact (DA Odessa, AAC Illusion), or reduced impact (SiCo Osprey) (there are others). For play time, I've been using a Romeo 1 and RMR on top, and both alleviate that issue. With non-suppressor sights and some cans, you have to look through the can. It can be done.

For the 9 versus .45 question - most go larger allowing different calibers. As mentioned above, some of the 9 cans minimize the sight picture and that's probably the largest pro to that. Generally, with the added diameter, the 45 cans with a 9mm end cap suppress 9mm just as good or sometimes a little better than the dedicated 9mm cans. Ultimately - you just need to figure out what host you'll use on and go that way.. But to summarize the choice in my opinion - if you want compatibility - go 45, if you want minimal impact to sights, go 9.

Now the last comment about the pistol can versus SBR's - if you're like most of us, the addition kicks in. Most don't have one or the other - we have both...

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    But to summarize the choice in my opinion - if you want compatibility - go 45, if you want minimal impact to sights, go 9.
    Just to be clear, most suppressors that have 9 and 45 options have the same tube diameter for both calibers. This is just me, but I'd expect to have to use suppressor sights if you're going the suppressed route. The Odessa 9 is an interesting modular can, but you should read the manual to see exactly what you're getting into - it's fairly complex to maintain.

This is just me, but unless you have a very specific reason you need a 9mm can, I'd go 45 instead.

mike j

Feb 14, 2018
    Annapolis MD
    1. The added weight isn't too bad to get used to. Look into modular cans that can be long or short configuration.

2. Shooting close range no problem basically look through the suppressor. Dead Air now makes flip up suppressor sights for glock check them out, they are definitely on my christmas list.

3. I would get the .45 can, the 9mm through the larger can still sounds great and you can use multiple calibers.

4. They get hot, I just bring a rag or a hotmit to the range with me.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    45 ammo is subsonic by default, if you are looking for cool factor, this is it. I have not messed with subsonic 9mm.

1 ) I have zero issues shooting a silencerco hybrid on my stock spring glock 19 with the piston fitted. Without the piston it is a single shot.

3) You cant go wrong with either, and either way you will end up with a handful of suppressors, I know of no one who is happy with just one.

4) I have only gotten really hot with rifle, and it takes a good 20 min to cool back down. There are canvas covers available to reduce the chance of burns.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The added weight can get tiring, it's why a lot of people are going over to the shorter cans...or modular. I personally would go with 9mm over .45, but I have a lot more guns in the former than the latter. You're not buying into the extra weight. As for sights, I recommend suppressor-height sights...preferably WITH a red dot sight. The combination is quite effective. Just get yourself a nice Suarez slide milled for an RMR and call it done.

Choices in can? I have a CGS Kraken in NFA purgatory, but if I were starting cold, I'd get the Odessa and not look back.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The Beretta will be easier with the fixed barrel. I use my Glock which works fine with taller sights. It is kind of like a desert eagle. It is fun for a few shots and then it’s just to unwieldy to be any fun. A 9mm or 45 Carbines suppressed, well that is a different ball game. I’ve had mine for over 5 years and still giggle every time I shoot it.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    This may get shouted down as BGOS (and admittedly, it kinda is), but I've seen the advice given that even with suppressors, it's good practice to fill out a Form 20 requesting permission to transport over state lines (it should only get denied if suppressors are illegal where you're going to transport to). Federal law does not require it, though the advice is primarily to prevent hassling by a LEO who is not well versed in the NFA law. Since filing the form only costs you a few minutes time, it's seen as cheap insurance.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    1) Does the added weight get tiring at the range? I've read the recoil springs usually need to be beefed up, but are there other mod's I need to do?

2) How do you sight with it? I'm OK with both eyes open sighting that probably will help, but how much accuracy do you lose?

3) Should I really get a 45 vs 9mm suppressor? I have both pistol calibers, but my favorite range guns are the Glock 19 and Beretta 92SB.

4) Do you ever burn your hands accidentally handling the suppressor while it's hot? How long does it take to cool down after shooting 100 rounds of ammo?...

1. I never get tired but frankly I rarely ever shoot the same gun over and over long enough to get tired. I don't think its a issue for me. I have never had to do anything to the springs on any of my guns. Just suppressor sights.

2. I think suppressor sights are a must. I hate looking "Through" the suppressor... just does not work for me. I would get an offset can like an Osprey just to help here and for another reason I will take about below.

3. I would just get 9mm. I am not a big fan of 45ACP suppressors. Why get a suppressor to make 9mm quiet only to get a larger suppressor that makes it louder?

4. If you shoot they do get hot. They do take some time to cool down. You can burn yourself.

Other things... I find a lot of suppressors spit back into your face. I don't like that do much. Guns certainly get dirty quicker. I HATE unscrewing suppressors. You see a lot of guys feeling the need to check a suppressor after ever few shots! Then they burn themselves. This is the problem with round suppressors. I highly suggest an offset Maxim style can that will not unscrew on you ever! Plus it helps on sights.

The Beretta will be easier with the fixed barrel.....

Huh? Berettas don't have fixed barrels, assuming we are talking M9s.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Thanks again folks. This has given me a lot to think about. The Beretta is indeed the forerunner to the M9.

Honestly, I did not even know about the Odessa 9 before this thread. I like the options it seems to provide, but it does look like a bunch more maintenance than a standard can.

I was actually looking at the offset models for the sighting advantage. I did not know there was a tendency for the cylinder style cans to loosen. I guess barrel heating and expansion different from the silencer will have something to do with that.

I've been downloading manuals and reading the maintenance sections. I am surprised how much the models can differ in the frequency required for cleaning.

When I first started looking, I thought I'd settle on the Silencerco Hybrid, but now I'm leaning more toward a separate pistol silencer and probably much later a rifle silencer.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I shoot both eyes open and have zero trouble w/ regular sights.

I HATE unscrewing suppressors. You see a lot of guys feeling the need to check a suppressor after ever few shots! Then they burn themselves. This is the problem with round suppressors.

It is a problem with right hand threads. Not an issue w/ LH. Both my Glock and Beretta have proper LH metric threads. I think only my 1911 has silly imperial RH threads:)

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    1. I never get tired but frankly I rarely ever shoot the same gun over and over long enough to get tired. I don't think its a issue for me. I have never had to do anything to the springs on any of my guns. Just suppressor sights.

2. I think suppressor sights are a must. I hate looking "Through" the suppressor... just does not work for me. I would get an offset can like an Osprey just to help here and for another reason I will take about below.

3. I would just get 9mm. I am not a big fan of 45ACP suppressors. Why get a suppressor to make 9mm quiet only to get a larger suppressor that makes it louder?

4. If you shoot they do get hot. They do take some time to cool down. You can burn yourself.

Other things... I find a lot of suppressors spit back into your face. I don't like that do much. Guns certainly get dirty quicker. I HATE unscrewing suppressors. You see a lot of guys feeling the need to check a suppressor after ever few shots! Then they burn themselves. This is the problem with round suppressors. I highly suggest an offset Maxim style can that will not unscrew on you ever! Plus it helps on sights.

Huh? Berettas don't have fixed barrels, assuming we are talking M9s.

Fixed is not the right word and I don't know what the design is called but it does not use a browning style lock up like glock and most others use. If the can is light and you have the right load you may not need a booster, unlike glock and most other pistols.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I have suppressor sights on my G17. Glocks require a LID (piston) whereas for Fixed barrel pistols: no need for a LID (piston). Gunsmith that replaced my sights does not use suppressor sights. For suppressed pistols IMHO you will not really be shooting for bullseyes at 25 yards so suppressor sights might not really be necessary to hit someone in the chest/Abdomen at 7-10 yards (home defense distance). ;)

A cheap Laser thermometer to check suppressor temperature rather than touching it to see if it is hot is a good thing to have in your range bag. Also a 500'F oven mitt in your range bag. At least those are in my range bag. I pre-soak my 9mm suppressor in Dot 5 ATF fluid ( rated to 500'F) a few days before range day to make clean up easy.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have used both hosts. Never got a 92 to run well without a booster on multiple cans. As for the can, I really like the obsidians. You can get a 45 and use it on the 9's an you 45. Or just go ahead and get both, you will eventually anyway. I have not used some of the brand new ones so I can comment.
    A mag dump will heat up the can. You will only burn your hand once. Carry an oven mitt and have something to place the hot can on that wont burn once you take it off. Chad had a thread on here somewhere about using a metal thermos for his rifle cans. Great idea.
    Sight though the cans.
    Other advice- check that the can is still tight between mags.
    Also, put a little anti seize (the gray crap you can get from auto parts stores) on ANY threads in the can. It will make take down much easier.
    SiCo hybrids are great cans. I like it more for rifle than pistols. I do have a couple pistol mounts for it.
    I think you are right in starting with a dedicated can. All those adapters and different thread pitches will be not only be expensive, but a pain in the ass to change out while on the range. I got the hybrid to eventually put on a 44 mag lever. I have used it on a 308 with great success. I don't chase DB's so it sounded a little different than a Specwar but was about the same volume.
    Let us know what you end up with. Just remember, buying a suppressor is a lifetime investment. Don't cheap out.

Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    Pistol cans are kind of lame IMO. They double the length of the gun and make it dirtier.
    Can't beat the coolness / James Bond factor tho

I would go with a osprey so it doesn't block the sights.

Have had zero issues with a glock 21 with a osprey or a glock 17 with a evo 9 or multimount.

I love a 22 can like a outback or sparrow on a ruger 22 pistol or a glock with 22 conversion kit tho

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom