• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Greetings!

I was going to send this out as a PM to several of you, but I'm going to open up this initial phase (discussion) to any member of MDShooters.

Here's the background: I recently met a wonderful guy that happens to also be a huge proponent of 2A, and is even a member here, but doesn't visit much, and posts less. I'm happy to mention his business, etc. once I get permission; but for now, I'll just say he and his business is in central Maryland and he's absolutely the right guy/company to pull this off. Oh, and he doesn't use cheap Chinese steel; keeps all the love in the USA! So in my mind, the hardest part is done.

Now about the design, this is where you come in. Here's what I'm thinking right now, but want/need your input to come up with something truly special and unique. At the moment these are my priorities:

Maryland legal (for pocket/concealed carry)- which means the blade length doesn't matter, but it can't be spring loaded, considered a dirk, bowie, or any other ridiculous definition of 'weapon' under Maryland law. It needs to be a 'pen knife', which fortunately is pretty wide open, as long as it folds.

Good value- the more we make the lower the price gets to a point, because much of the cost is up front in initial engineering costs, etc. The cost of the steal is relatively inexpensive compared to everything else, so would like to go with a 'super steel', something that holds a great edge, not too hard to sharpen, and not brittle. Want this to be a hard use tool/knife that will last many years, good value.

Fast to deploy- I already have some ideas for how to pull the knife out with one hand and deploy it (have it immediately ready for use). One idea is to have a finger hole, or a kind of finger hook, so that it opens as you pull it up/out. This is where I need the most help. I'm thinking a kind of 'friction folder', similar to a ballisong or something.

Super strong- the finished design and materials must be able to take a lot of abuse, be a hard work knife/tool. As strong as a fixed blade knife when open, and able to do some light prying with it; kinda think chisel, but with a point and a cutting edge.

Finger protection- must incorporate some kind of protection to prevent your fingers from slipping off the handle and onto the blade. This might be a finger hole or finger guard of some kind.

That's it for priorities, notice nothing about asthetics or fancy features.

What's the least expensive of the high end super steels? S30V, VG10, etc.?

What's the ideal blade shape?

Kind of grind, hollow, flat, chisel, other?

Shape of point, tip?

Overall length, and length of blade?

Straight handle and blade, or some angle/bend to it?

Handle materials? Micarda, metal (aluminum, etc.), etc?

How to attach the handle to the blade, metal pivot, bearing?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Just so we are using the same terms for the description:

KnifeAnatomy6.jpg

KnifeAnatomy1.jpg

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    More parts for description purposes.

450px-Parts_of_a_balisong3.jpg

Here is a friction folder, for anyone who hasn't heard of this before. The basic idea is that the blade continues and that extra bit, tang, is held in the hand, so it forms a very solid (fixed blade like) lockup. Imagine if the hole in this design were larger, large enough to put your finger into it to pull it up. Then imaging it being at an angle so your finger doesn't have to be removed to use the knife.

6400a7064e5f39e73e23a08c8cc1e3a6.jpg

Notice the simple flat grind blade, and beefy point; also the one piece all metal handle construction. This knife is similar to some of my ideas. Any thoughts on this knife?

LONGSHOT

May 7, 2011
    ABERDEEN,HARFORD
    More parts for description purposes.

450px-Parts_of_a_balisong3.jpg

Here is a friction folder, for anyone who hasn't heard of this before. The basic idea is that the blade continues and that extra bit, tang, is held in the hand, so it forms a very solid (fixed blade like) lockup. Imagine if the hole in this design were larger, large enough to put your finger into it to pull it up. Then imaging it being at an angle so your finger doesn't have to be removed to use the knife.

6400a7064e5f39e73e23a08c8cc1e3a6.jpg

Notice the simple flat grind blade, and beefy point; also the one piece all metal handle construction. This knife is similar to some of my ideas. Any thoughts on this knife?
    please tell me where i can obtain thisknife.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    If there were a fixed blade MDS buy I would be in for sure. Possible on a folder depending on price.

Something with the shield engraved on the blade would be a great keepsake.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    Keep it simple and high-end. Nice Ti frame lock, flipper style tab that doubles as a hand guard. Go for a S35VN or maybe even a 3V blade stock, perhaps in the 3.5"-4" range. Once of my favorite custom (non-Benchmade) folders is this beast... 1 of 1!

FIFPEX1OF1.jpg

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    I really like the Ontario RAT 2 folder as a non-springloaded opener. Seems very sturdy to me. I would change the blade profile, and the grip texture, but not much else.

Attachments

• download.jpg
      download.jpg
      4.7 KB · Views: 237

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads