• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    Spoke with Bunky from St. Johns rd last night and it's $150 a cord delivered. I'm gonna pass for that price. Got a cord coming in on Monday from a guy on CL for $120. I'll let you know how it looks.

Hey sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, PM sent - but it looks like you already called him. Sorry.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Spoke with Bunky from St. Johns rd last night and it's $150 a cord delivered. I'm gonna pass for that price. Got a cord coming in on Monday from a guy on CL for $120. I'll let you know how it looks.

150/cord delivered is a good price. I'll pay that if there's anyone that delivers to the West Friendship/Sykesville Main St. area. If so, PM me so that I don't miss the reply.

Thanks

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD

His sign clearly says 125 for local delivery. Was he adding a delivery charge?

Jradack

Dec 12, 2013
    Somd
    It's amazing how expencive a cord of wood is here in md. It's $60-80 a cord in western NY (buffalo area).

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    Very Strange. I snapped this picture of his sign three nights ago. I'm not going to say he was trying to cheat you, but seems it should have been $250 plus a little for delivery if he thought you were outside of 'local'.

Sorry it was a goose chase.

Attachments

• 20140110_185742-1-1.jpg
      20140110_185742-1-1.jpg
      34.5 KB · Views: 392

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I've been doing a little internet research, does anyone burn pine in their stoves? I've always been under the impression thats always a big no, but the more I read, the more I see it being referred to as an old wives tale. Green wood will build up creosote no matter what type of tree...

It seems what everyone agrees on as well as how fast it burns. Lots of people in other parts of the states mention primarily burning softwoods like Pine due to their harvesting options.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've been doing a little internet research, does anyone burn pine in their stoves? I've always been under the impression thats always a big no, but the more I read, the more I see it being referred to as an old wives tale. Green wood will build up creosote no matter what type of tree...

It seems what everyone agrees on as well as how fast it burns. Lots of people in other parts of the states mention primarily burning softwoods like Pine due to their harvesting options.

From what I understand pine generally burns faster and you'll use much more wood. Creosote generally builds from slow burns that aren't hot enough or a lot of moisture in the wood.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

I got a truck load of pine this last summer and burned the whole thing already. No problems. I had huge like 18-20 inch diameter pieces i would put in with some oak before going to bed and it would be basically gone 8 hours later. So yeah it burns pretty quick.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Got a big tall pine that is going to be cut down in the Spring, I think it's going to be split up for firewood.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    I burn well-seasoned (1-2 years) to start the fire. Before going to bed I load it up with some Oak to get it real hot to burn off any creosote that might have formed.

I wouldn't let the fire die out with Pine but starting it with Pine should be no issue

JKOwens

Jan 28, 2014
    Same here, I'm looking for firewood down in Odenton. Anyone know of a reputable dealer down here? I've phoned Garman lumber a few times to pick some slabwood up but they aren't answering.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Getting ready for the winter.. bump..

Anybody bought from Kelly's trees in Dunkirk?

Any review of them from smd peeps?

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    I bought two cords from Kelly a few years ago. Not the driest wood I've ever purchased, nor was it the fullest cord, and it wasn't cheap. Not saying he shorted me, just that I was used to what Mr. Beale would deliver, and that is always more than a cord. I'm not sure what I paid for it though and it was not all hardwood.

I went back to buying from Loveville timber works. Mr. Beale does add a surcharge for coming all the way to northern Calvert, but his wood is always cut to a good length, always dry and I always get more than I pay for, with regards to a cord.

Even with paying his premium I still pay about 1/4 of what it would cost to buy oil all winter, and I enjoy the wood stove much more than the noise from the furnace.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I bought two cords from Kelly a few years ago. Not the driest wood I've ever purchased, nor was it the fullest cord, and it wasn't cheap. Not saying he shorted me, just that I was used to what Mr. Beale would deliver, and that is always more than a cord. I'm not sure what I paid for it though and it was not all hardwood.

I went back to buying from Loveville timber works. Mr. Beale does add a surcharge for coming all the way to northern Calvert, but his wood is always cut to a good length, always dry and I always get more than I pay for, with regards to a cord.

Even with paying his premium I still pay about 1/4 of what it would cost to buy oil all winter, and I enjoy the wood stove much more than the noise from the furnace.
    Thanks.. appreciate the info.. will check on loveville timber..

Edit:. Just called him.. he was about to setup his firewood sale next week.. (he was at UMD open house when i called).

His price is pretty much same what I got quoted from Kelly's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom