• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Radio_Flyer

Jun 18, 2015
    Not sure if I can ask this or not. Would like to find a EDC made of carbon fiber or something similar that will clear a metal detector. I carry a leatherman, knife and flashlight, have been needing to take the knife and leatherman out and leave behind. Getting a new leatherman without a knife, but would like to still have a knife. Leaving building in the middle of the night unarmed or going places not in the best of areas. Thanks. If not appropriate, admins please delete.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Most of them are worthless and will still be detected depending on the equipment being used due the density of the material. Then you're boned.
    Your goal is self-defense, and knives are not good for defense anyway. Find things that can be used for self-defense that your place allows. The best are dual-purpose.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    learn how to fight with your hands

^^^^ This.

If you require some type of weapon to defend yourself, you're doing it wrong. Sorry.

I didn't choose to study Pencak Silat, it kind of chose me. I won't bore you with a wall of text about how that happened but, suffice to say, learning Silat was one of the best decisions I ever made and a skill-set that I have carried with me since I was a teenager.

Unfortunately, my work schedule prevents me from training on a regular basis but, there is an excellent Silat training academy in Rockville if you're interested in learning more about it:

http://www.silatma.com/

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO...ding-knife-ceramic-blade-carbon-fiber-handles
    This. I find nothing morally wrong with carrying in non permissive environments
    Most ceramic blades contain a metalic strip in the blade in order to alert metal detectors, and depending on the liner material and detector sensitivity it might or might not work.

Weapons prohibitions are stupid, nothing morally wrong with evading them, but have to weigh the options. Especially hypocritical and stupid if a company will buy and staff really expensive metal detectors to ensure everyone is diarmed, but ignore security threats in their parking lot. Might not want to carry if this is an otherwise good job that will terminate for policy violations. Could also be a government building or under .gov jurisdiction that may have legal repercussions for carrying in a restricted area. Might also be able to carry another weapon like a staff or cane, with some training and practice either could be vastly superior to a pocket knife for defense, and employers are hesitant to go against a possible ADA violation. I've handled a couple nylon and graphite blades, they generally suck for any practical use.

Radio_Flyer

Jun 18, 2015
    Post went the wrong way. I am on call and get called to some secure facilities in not so good neighborhoods. I had a leatherman, but can't bring it in any longer because it has a knife on it, getting another one without the knife. I have my flashlight, will have new leatherman but need something to cut cable ties, zip ties, packing tape and bring in with me. It could be used as needed protection as well. As said above, parking areas aren't secure in most locations, but the fencing and building are, go figure. Have walked out of a couple buildings at 2 in the morning to go home, tired and have been followed to my car. Falls on deaf ears. Hoping for a carry on tool kit, it is going through the secure process now, but no idea how long that will take. I had a couple PMs with suggestions, thanks to those folks, looking in to those now.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Post went the wrong way. I am on call and get called to some secure facilities in not so good neighborhoods. I had a leatherman, but can't bring it in any longer because it has a knife on it, getting another one without the knife. I have my flashlight, will have new leatherman but need something to cut cable ties, zip ties, packing tape and bring in with me. It could be used as needed protection as well. As said above, parking areas aren't secure in most locations, but the fencing and building are, go figure. Have walked out of a couple buildings at 2 in the morning to go home, tired and have been followed to my car. Falls on deaf ears. Hoping for a carry on tool kit, it is going through the secure process now, but no idea how long that will take. I had a couple PMs with suggestions, thanks to those folks, looking in to those now.

to be clear my post had nothing to do with a judgment on defeated metal detectors. do what you need to do to be safe. BJJ or something will help a hell of a lot more than throwing a fixed blade knife on your belt.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Late night service call require a means to see in the dark.

5 cell MagLight is effective for seeing in the dark.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Get a pointy screwdriver. It can be surprisingly good protection and doesn't raise any eyebrows as a weapon. If you have a leatherman already, you can just disassemble it a big and take the blade out of it if you need the tool without the blade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom