• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    We all have to start somewhere. A cheaper scope for applications that are not a life/ death situation should work. A fix magnification scope (4x) made by Bushnell or tasco should be sufficient for shorter ranges ( <150 yards).

Stay away from variable magnification scopes or illuminated reticles as you only get more cheap options. I have an old Tasco scope sitting atop my Dad's old Savage hunting rifle. It has held zero for the last 15 years and the standard Plex reticle is just fine for generalized target shooting ( 100 yards) and deer hunting.

The BSA scope is Okay... In fact, I used one on an M1A ( 308) and it worked just fine. I upgraded to a better scope when surplus funds became available, it now sits on top of a 10/22 plinker.Just dont use it on a Mini-14 as that gun will kill almost any scope that you put on it.

The Centerfire scope from Walmart works well, a buddy of mine uses one on a 30-06. It is still reliable after 200 rounds.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    That is just stupid. I am not a stupid hunter and i do not take shots at white objects. I know the rules and laws. I can clearly see a deer with a $1 pair of binoculars. Not talking about night hunting, but like 20 mins after sunset. I know my land and the rules and responsibilities. Using a cheap scope is not making me irresponsible... maybe less likely to get a perfect shot. but like i said I have never had a problem hitting 1" groupings at 100 yds. I did not come here looking for a lecture or have $500 scopes pushed on me. I just wanted some links to the best cheap scopes. There are thousands and thousands of hunters who have gone their whole lives without ever using a $500 scope. and plenty of deer have been taken with cheap scopes.

I've used cheap Simmons scopes that were OK. They weren't on deer rifles, though. You could also go the "used" route; maybe you could get a deal on a well-used, low end Nikon or Leupold.

I'd rather have a beat-to-hell Nikon Prostaff than a brand spanking new Barska.

Justpassing

Anti-Anti-Gun
    That is just stupid. I am not a stupid hunter and i do not take shots at white objects. I know the rules and laws. I can clearly see a deer with a $1 pair of binoculars. Not talking about night hunting, but like 20 mins after sunset. I know my land and the rules and responsibilities. Using a cheap scope is not making me irresponsible... maybe less likely to get a perfect shot. but like i said I have never had a problem hitting 1" groupings at 100 yds. I did not come here looking for a lecture or have $500 scopes pushed on me. I just wanted some links to the best cheap scopes. There are thousands and thousands of hunters who have gone their whole lives without ever using a $500 scope. and plenty of deer have been taken with cheap scopes.

True, very true.

Well my buddy spent under 100bux for a NCstar scope, surprisingly clear and it held its zero nicely.
    my personal opinion echoes what others has been saying about quality(learned it the hard way myself) but you can pick up good optics on the cheap, just got to find out a good one.

Leapers-latest generations and NCstars, bushnell's are a few good ones.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

+1 :thumbsup:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I am sure I will get flamed for this too... because they are not "proper hunting rifles"

You know it's a shame you don't have an M76 or a PSL for hunting, as the milsurp $80 PSL scopes are FANTASTIC. They are so much nicer than any of the sub-$100 scopes that I own. If you could find a way to mount one of these gems to your rifle I suspect you would be VERY happy.

Mark

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I knew where this thread was going from the start as there are two very distinct camps on this board. LOL. That said, I shoot an 870 with rifled slug barrel and irons for deer, but most of my shots are inside of 75 yds. I killed 3 deer on the last evening of gun season with 5 minutes left- that was low light. I shoot a Nikon BDC on my muzzle loader. It isn't a high-end optic and I've found the light gathering to be okay, but not great. A cheap optic is probably not going to give you much of an advantage in low light due to the cheap glass. Only you know the conditions you hunt in and whether it will do what you expect it to do. We as hunters have responsibilities and have to know our environment and our limitations in terms of skill and equipment. My only suggestion it to make sure you really give that inexpensive scope some quality range time to ensure it holds zero- you owe it to the animals and your neighbors. Good luck and good hunting.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

+1, I've never used high dollar glass either. I think the most expensive scope I own is like $89.00 (24X).

The good thing about a "inexpensive" scope, you can find quality, but not pay for the name brand price. You have to do your research though.

If I would ever go into competition shooting, then the high dollar scopes might come into play.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    My .30-30 has a old used Weaver K-4 my grandfather had sitting around, it has been a great scope for it. I don't know what a good used K-4 goes for but it's decent for 100yards and under IMHO.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Your right this is stupid, a stupid question that is. You want to miss a ten point buck because your forty dollar taiwan special lost zero ?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I have a Tasco 1.5-4.5 on a .22 semi auto, I like that one fine. Sight picture is clearer with more light than the Center Point (which I also have).

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Your right this is stupid, a stupid question that is. You want to miss a ten point buck because your forty dollar taiwan special lost zero ?

good thing the kill zone is more than a few inches. And i go to the range quite often, and ever shoot the week before hunting.. so i would know if it moved. You dont need that much $ to kill a deer.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Biggee313 you will probably not do better for $30 than the one you linked to. I hope it works for you. I think I still have another cheap scope laying around that I took off a rifle. If it were convienent for us both I would just give it to you.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    My .30-30 has a old used Weaver K-4 my grandfather had sitting around, it has been a great scope for it. I don't know what a good used K-4 goes for but it's decent for 100yards and under IMHO.

I'll echo what Adams is saying....if you are only willing to spend a certain amount of money then I would hit Ebay and pick up an older Weaver K-4 (maybe around $40) or a Nikon (maybe $100) instead of buying something new and cheap.....

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    See if you can find an older Simmons scope. The new ones, from what I hear, are not very good. However, if you can find an older used one (say 5 yrs ago or more) then pick it up. Simmons used to make good scopes but times have changed.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I shot a whitetail last year with a $30 Simmons that came on the rifle as a package. While I do despise that scope for all it's cheapness the stupid thing works and has pretty clear glass. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean the dog don't hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom