• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    For the last week or so, they have been MIA from my feeders.

What about your feeders?

Thanks

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have Gold Finches drinking from my hummingbird feeders. They hang upside down to drink out of the ant moats. I'm not sure what is so attractive about them since they do this even when there seems to be plenty of water around in birdbaths, etc.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    For the last week or so, they have been MIA from my feeders.

What about your feeders?

What kind? We always have lots of house and purple. Goldfinches are more scarce right now at our house. Juncos are right around the corner.

Thanks

I have Gold Finches drinking from my hummingbird feeders. They hang upside down to drink out of the ant moats. I'm not sure what is so attractive about them since they do this even when there seems to be plenty of water around in birdbaths, etc.

Same here - I've noticed white breasted nuthatches like to do that too.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

We see that exact same behavior! The chickadees do it, too. Yards away is a nice clean bird bath full of fresh water. Go figure.

We are still seeing lots of sparrows, some house finches, and the occasional goldfinch. They seem less interested in the thistle feeder now than they were earlier in the season when they were raising young. We have, though, seen a sudden appearance of at least one sharpshin and a juvenile Cooper's who are clumsily hunting the yard, so that may be suppressing the casual finch diners. It's that time of year the young hawks seem to be getting out and about as their population rearranges for the season.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Nothing but house sparrows and squirrels. I did go out and refill one the other evening when my cardinal pair showed up. Next morning the goons had emptied it again.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    I have dozens of Gold finches. Have to refill both feeders (thistle) every couple of days. Sunflower seed feeders last a little longer but they, House finches, Cardinals and several others working them pretty good.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    All I have are purple house finches and only saw a gold finch once this year. I've only been seeing hummingbirds for the past couple of weeks, 2 of them pretty regular in the morning and evening

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The finches here have done their usual late summer thing; move from my feeders to the Echinacea and other flowers that have gone to seed.

j&ksmall

Feb 18, 2013
    Goldfinch and House Finch have been very numerous until last week. At some point they head south. Mostly woodpeckers now.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Goldfinch and House Finch have been very numerous until last week. At some point they head south. Mostly woodpeckers now.

My Gold and House Finches both stay year round. The male Gold finches change over to their non breeding colors but they never leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom