• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Just a warning that we just intercepted what was either a straight up attempt at a straw purchase, was a LE sting, or an anti or reporter looking for an opportunity to say, "Aha - I told you so".

A user that joined 2 days ago made an offer on a firearm for sale here, sealed the deal and then told the seller that his mother would be providing the identification for the purchase.

Regardless of the nature of this, whether "legitimate" illegal activity, or some sort of gotcha operation, y'all need to be on the look out.

The user has been perma-banned.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yup that’s a no go!!!!! Glad that got fixed before any laws were broken and kudos to the seller (I’m assuming that’s how this started)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Yup that’s a no go!!!!! Glad that got fixed before any laws were broken and kudos to the seller (I’m assuming that’s how this started)

Experienced seller here, knew something was up right away and contacted us.

Nope - not tolerating even the appearance of this occurring here.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Twice this past month I have received offers to buy from the classified adds here from 0 post buyers.
    One Just Joined in March. The other has been member since 2015, still zero posts and offered to buy.
    I politely said that I don't post to zero/low count posters and encouraged them to post to introductions than make a few posts per week and get back to me in a few weeks.

I know many would balk at the idea but I would actually be in favor of a 10 post or some sort of minimum post count to even VIEW the classifieds.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Good catch, even with my ammo I prefer to only sell to those with 6570 posts minimum :innocent0

Another forum I belong to won't even let you see the classifieds until you log in under your user name. We could do the same thing here or 50 post minimum.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    It is a good catch. I am usually a lurker on the forum (especially in the reloading section) and have been a bit nervous to post at times bc either a) I just don't have enough experience, b) don't have anything new to share as my view has been already stated 6570 times :D or c) don't want to post fluff. I figure I am still learning so I figure its best to read and learn than to post junk.

At the same time, I have purchased a rifle from the classifieds here and had a good experience. I am also thinking of purchasing another rifle from a classified here. I would prefer to keep the classifieds open just based on my experience or with a low minimum post count (i.e. 5-10 verified posts). Just my 2c.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Always good to be reminded of safe buy and sell arrangements . I would not sell or even buy from any member i have not met or talked to on the forum .

Great catch

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    It is a good catch. I am usually a lurker on the forum (especially in the reloading section) and have been a bit nervous to post at times bc either a) I just don't have enough experience, b) don't have anything new to share as my view has been already stated 6570 times :D or c) don't want to post fluff. I figure I am still learning so I figure its best to read and learn than to post junk.

At the same time, I have purchased a rifle from the classifieds here and had a good experience. I am also thinking of purchasing another rifle from a classified here. I would prefer to keep the classifieds open just based on my experience or with a low minimum post count (i.e. 5-10 verified posts). Just my 2c.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. It's how we learn. I think everyone here was a lurker at one time, and I KNOW everyone here had 50< posts at one time. :D

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    You should send their contact information to the ATF and report the apparent attempted straw purchase.

Alas, the being able to get a feel for someone. I just read all of your previous posts on MDShooters and was easily able to determine you seem legit. If I was selling .223 brass, powder, primers, etc, I wouldn't hesitate to sell to you. I would also sell you a gun with my standard: bill of sale, copy of your DL, etc. Obviously handguns require MSP, background check, HQL, etc.
    It isn't hard to pick out a newbie who is legit and seeking info vs. a troll/anti on a gun forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom