• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nerd

nerdy mcnerderson
    I really like it. It's not the holy grail of ranges by any means, but the staff are great. They have a wide variety of guns for sale/rent, and all the wonderful little accessories that your heart could desire. We have a couple members that work up there, so if you play your cards right, you might even get some free/discounted range time.

Speaking of, it's been a little while since I've been up there. Better change that tomorrow. :thumbsup:

agreed completely. great staff, nice range (especially during the week when it isn't swamped), and an ideal place to take a newbie. i've brought 3 newbies there, 2 of whom are now hooked...partially due to the staff and selection at Continental.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Between the two I absolutely hate going to select fire. The only reason I ever go is because my idiot friend bought his membership there so when I go with him we usually go there. Otherwise I dislike listening to the one guy who works there who always seems to be there when I go and always has a way of making me feel like an idiot when I show up. Which is absurd.

I've had one bad experience with On-Target but BillCW offered to make it right and ever other time I've ever been in there it was great.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I guess my feeling re: OT is I don't particularlly like the fact it's in a strip mall, the area or the idea walking to my car with a gear bag unarmed. Not saying SF is ideal, but usually it's only 10 -12 steps furthest to my car and I can scope the entire parking lot from the door. :cool:
    I'm always armed when I go to OT, although not with a firearm. It's not exactly ideal but I'm not going to just roll over and let someone take my guns away from me, and there are other ways to be armed than to be armed with a gun. Between the two - SF and OT, SF is actually a little more secluded in general being back off of the main road, I don't seem to have a problem surveying the parking lot from the door of OT and most of the time I'm not parked too terribly far - probably twice the distance of where I've parked at SF.

Between the two I absolutely hate going to select fire. The only reason I ever go is because my idiot friend bought his membership there so when I go with him we usually go there. Otherwise I dislike listening to the one guy who works there who always seems to be there when I go and always has a way of making me feel like an idiot when I show up. Which is absurd.
    I agree that it is absurd. I'm usually a bit put off when I go into a gun store and the guys behind the counter just assume that since they work in the place and I am "just" a customer, that I don't know what I'm talking about. The funny thing about those folks is that eventually they'll step in it pretty big and end up getting their "facts" all screwed up while proclaiming it as if it's gospel. That's happened to me a couple of times in another fairly local place which shall remain nameless - something was said that made me raise my eyebrow with the thought that it didn't jibe with what I thought I knew on the subject, but I let it go and checked it out later to verify that yes, they were wrong. :)

kwcraft

No witty username
    Apr 7, 2009
    NOT MARYLAND
    thanks for all the responses. I think I'll be heading out to On Target this week, and I'll hold off going to Select Fire until a friend of mine is going up. He makes parts for Mac's and test fires alot of his work there so he knows them pretty well. May be easier to fly under the radar walking in with him then walking in all by myself.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    I live in Harford County and drive to Timonium to shoot at Continental Arms.. Horst and McCann is a very nice Range but they only allow you to shoot Total Copper Jacket ammo... so if you bring your own ammo they tack a 3 dollar per hr charge to your range time and if you buy their reloaded over priced ammo the junk jams. I have all P series Sig pistols that eat anything I have ever fed them and the one time I went to Horst and McCann their ammo jammed my P220 Elite. So I won't go back. As far as Select Fire I agree with most of the previous Posts...They are Totally Rude and in my opinion give the Gun Business a bad Image. On Target is the way to go in AA or Howard County. Nice , Helpful and the Range facility is pretty nice.

Ultimate Member
    Does anyone recommend going to Select Fire to shoot? I just got my 1911 and want to put some rounds through it, but aside from driving out to western maryland I don't really know where to go to shoot it. Select Fire is right down the street from the house, but I've heard some horror stories about the guys that work there.

Any opinions?

ahhaahhahahahahhahahahhahahaha:lol2::lol2::lol2: :lol2:

brianluck

village idiot
    May 28, 2009
    lansdowne
    I guess it depends what you want from a place. I want to be left alone for the most part. I usually buy from Dan @ GC, accessories there or the net, ammo (not at a range) different places. I don't really have any questions or not really interested in renting anything. I like concrete barriers when there are rentals involved (not that experienced shooters can't be negligent). I guess my feeling re: OT is I don't particularlly like the fact it's in a strip mall, the area or the idea walking to my car with a gear bag unarmed. Not saying SF is ideal, but usually it's only 10 -12 steps furthest to my car and I can scope the entire parking lot from the door. :cool: I mean one complaint about Bass Pro is people don't like to feel vulnerable leaving there unarmed carrying out a firearm related purchase. :sad20:

all my horror storys from sf where from when i was just getting into pistols. so yes renting and questions are a big part of learning the sport. and there failure to be helpful is what turned us away. lucky for us it didn't turn us away from the sport all together. im sure we wouldn't have the same issues now that we own our own equpiment and have no reason to even speak to them. but i also do not care for the no head shot rule even though i understand why they have it. head shots are part of practice. everyone deserves a second chance but we gave them thirds and fourths.

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    I could not stand Select Fire and their harshness UNTIL one day I was there and this customer came in and wanted to rent a gun. She reminded me of Hooks from Police Academy the movie. I wont bore you with the details but OMG now I know why they have the attitudes. After she left I had quality time and saw the owner actually laugh.

Why do they sell targets with heads on them if they dont allow head shots?

my advice is to join a private club or better yet find a friend with some extra property

brianluck

village idiot
    May 28, 2009
    lansdowne
    I could not stand Select Fire and their harshness UNTIL one day I was there and this customer came in and wanted to rent a gun. She reminded me of Hooks from Police Academy the movie. I wont bore you with the details but OMG now I know why they have the attitudes. After she left I had quality time and saw the owner actually laugh.

Why do they sell targets with heads on them if they dont allow head shots?

my advice is to join a private club or better yet find a friend with some extra property

im sad to say the only extra property i know is in wv. so thats out the window for a spur of the moment shotting day

kwcraft

No witty username
    Apr 7, 2009
    NOT MARYLAND
    im sad to say the only extra property i know is in wv. so thats out the window for a spur of the moment shotting day

We've got 22 acres of mountain land just outside of greenridge in Flintstone. Unfortunately the 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive makes it a little difficult for a quick hour of shooting.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I live 10minutes from H&M and prefer to drive to Continental or On Target for the same reasons listed above. Both places are top notch and friendly service across the board :thumbsup:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Select fire lost 1800.00 in sales(Ar15 and XD9) from me due to the older guys attitude. The moment i walked in the door the guy Kept eyeballing me, i said hello three or more time and nodded at him, but he kept giving me the evil eye, the young kid there asked if he could help me and i said i wanted to see a XD, as he went toward the case the old man basically stood in the kids way while he still eyeballed me, the kid mumbled to him "can i show him?" the old man finally let him pass but continued to eye ball me, the kid got the gun out and by now ive had it i said never-mind, i walked out , went to on target, those guys explained anything i asked out the guns, friendly as can be, I bought a bushmaster AR and Xd9 from them.
    After the way i was treated at select fire for trying to buy a gun, i dont see me ever trying to go shoot one there.

kwcraft

No witty username
    Apr 7, 2009
    NOT MARYLAND
    Select fire lost 1800.00 in sales(Ar15 and XD9) from me due to the older guys attitude. The moment i walked in the door the guy Kept eyeballing me, i said hello three or more time and nodded at him, but he kept giving me the evil eye, the young kid there asked if he could help me and i said i wanted to see a XD, as he went toward the case the old man basically stood in the kids way while he still eyeballed me, the kid mumbled to him "can i show him?" the old man finally let him pass but continued to eye ball me, the kid got the gun out and by now ive had it i said never-mind, i walked out , went to on target, those guys explained anything i asked out the guns, friendly as can be, I bought a bushmaster AR and Xd9 from them.
    After the way i was treated at select fire for trying to buy a gun, i dont see me ever trying to go shoot one there.

Well my friends son called me last week and said he was headed to Select Fire on Wednesday or Friday evening to test fire some new MAC conversions, if I wanted to go let him know. He then said that he was going to go when the son was working cause the old man always gives him a hard time even though he's been going there for years. I told him I really didn't want to deal with them if one of their best customers has a problem with the guy that runs the place. I'll be trying out On-Target sometime soon.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Well my friends son called me last week and said he was headed to Select Fire on Wednesday or Friday evening to test fire some new MAC conversions, if I wanted to go let him know. He then said that he was going to go when the son was working cause the old man always gives him a hard time even though he's been going there for years. I told him I really didn't want to deal with them if one of their best customers has a problem with the guy that runs the place. I'll be trying out On-Target sometime soon.

Yeah, go to On Target. You will not be sorry.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county

:thumbsup: good choice.

juggernaut

Mar 3, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I frequent On-Target, I like the people there and it's closer. I went to Select-Fire once about a year ago. The range itself is nice, but dimly-lit. No horror story, but the guy that checked us in was a bit abrupt and ragged on me for having a Glock... :shrug: Considering On-Target's closer, they'll get my business. I've yet to try out Continental, it's farther away but I'll check it out sometime.

I don't understand that, they sell and recommend Glocks.
    Why open a business dealing with the public if you are so damn bad at it.
    Lets start a business, and treat the customers badly so they don't come here anymore! What a formula for success.:lol2:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Yep, no headshots at SF takes the fun out of it a bit.

Continental also has that rule. I think it was JeepDriver who explained it was the insurance people who mandated that.

Of course, no rule can prevent a rookie from putting a stray shot into the head. Saw a new shooter using a larger caliber gun then they were used to put one right in the jaw. Everything else was in the chest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom