• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    Its been a long time coming but I'm ready to get into the FA scene. I'm going to take baby steps so it's going to be Mac to start with. Can someone guide me in the right direction?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Its been a long time coming but I'm ready to get into the FA scene. I'm going to take baby steps so it's going to be Mac to start with. Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Sure, the best choice is a M11/9mm with a Lage Max11 or Max31 upper. By and far the most popular way to go. There are plenty of other options, but these are the best overall.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Where are you located? The MDTCA shoots @ AGC have got to be the largest (only?) regular mg shoots in MD. Lots of knowledge people are willing to share. I agree w/ imblitzvt: M11/9 is the most flexible. A M11A1 is a fairly close 2nd.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Bring money. Lots and lots of money.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=42103

You would had have needed a lot less if you would have listened to me a good while back.

That said, lets say M11s are around $5K. Uzis are $12K+. Really M11s shoot just as well with a $800 Lage upper. However the Lage uppers are a lot better for modern optics. The only real advantage of the UZI is that you have a better mag and its double stacked. I have a feeling one day Lage will solve that problem and produce another upper using good mags. When that happens, the Max11 will be superior to the UZI assuming they maintain reliability. So you are getting a modern SMG for almost half the next closes option. MP5s are more than double and Uzi. IMHO no other SMGs are really in the same modern class. Tube guns are just not up to date.

So if you ask me M11s and Macs in general still have the most potential in the whole Full Auto Market. The next most undervalued gun IMO is the 1919a4 under $15K but we are talking belt fed there.

As an Engineer I understand the want to fully research everything and making sure I know exactly what I am doing at $5K. That said, I would feel comfortable telling someone that if they want a shooter SMG with no historical significance, to buy a M11 without second thought. I have probably talked 20-30 or so people into it at this point and none have every regretted it. A few went for the Mac 10 and a large percent wish they had gone for the M11. The M11A1 is nice too but its always going to play second fiddle to the M11.

So, my educated opinion is, go find a fair priced M11 and buy it! Spend some time deciding between the Max11 and Max31. I have guns I can dump belts with so a 72rd drum is not a huge deal next to a 100rd Beta drum or a 250rd belt. So I would probably go with a Max11 or maybe the Max11K.

KRail4.JPG

Feb 28, 2013

Since you mentioned "baby steps", I suggest keepin' yer RPM around 650 or so. That'll be easier to keep from gittin' away from ya.

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    I'm having a hard time finding any mac's in stock. Honestly, I'm not sure where to look. Any help on locating one?

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena

just giving you a heads up here is a thread from like 1.5 years ago about purchasing an M11/9. Great advice in it: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=165031

and looking at that listing Realize that that will take TWO form 4s ($200 each) to get to you. One from the seller to your NFA dealer, then another to you. If you look at the current ATF timeline, probably a year+ till you get it in hand. By the time the first form 4 gets back, definitely will be passed 41(whatever ajoined letter). If you care about that sort of thing.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Nothing wrong w/ SWD. They are all just folded sheet metal w/ some welds.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Only issues I have ever seen with the swd m11, are soft bolts and they use to have some mag issues in the 80s splitting and the ears would wear out and have feed issues. I'm sure by now they have come up with a better mag?

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Only issues I have ever seen with the swd m11, are soft bolts and they use to have some mag issues in the 80s splitting and the ears would wear out and have feed issues. I'm sure by now they have come up with a better mag?

Never heard of the soft bolt issue and my bolt has never failed. Sears were supposedly improperly heat treated in the run-up to the cutoff. I replaced mine with a new sear as a preventative and haven't had a problem.

Zmags solve all mag problems. M10/9 walther mags > all single feed M11 mags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom