• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    So while I'm patiently waiting for my stamp on my GemTech 7.62, I need to decide what gun to acquire first for it.

I'm torn between a 18" Remington 700 in .308 in a Magpul Hunter 700 chassis...

Or

An AR pistol in .300blk (eventual SBR).

I already have an AR lower and LPK, so I'm leaning this way currently. I'm also not much into precision shooting. On the other hand, I don't have a good bolt gun and would like to get one and get back into hunting now that I'm back in WV.

What says the forum?

lamontjb

Aug 13, 2014
    I have an AAC MPW 300 BO SBR and a Remington 700 .308.

My AAC SDN-762-6 suppressor quickly attaches to both the Remington 700 and the MPW. I love them both (or I guess all three).

Since your question is which one first (as it relates to the suppressor), I can say that having experience in both setups, I see myself shooting the 300 BO suppressed a majority of the time. In fact, after shooting supers and subs in the 300 BO, I plan to just shoot subs on the MPW, with an occasional super un-suppressed.

When shooting my Remington 700, which I really love by the way, I will rarely shoot this thing suppressed, partly due to the cost of the sub-sonic .308 round. It's great and all, but I can shoot regular ammo and be just as happy. Granted, the Remington 700 suppressed is really quiet, in fact I would say quieter than the 300 BO (maybe because of the length of the barrel in the 700 is longer). But that's just my subjective opinion.

Bootknife has a great point though, what do you plan on doing with it? My experience is so far limited to sighting my optics. Still, I vote for 300 BO since the question is related to the suppressor.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    When shooting my Remington 700, which I really love by the way, I will rarely shoot this thing suppressed, partly due to the cost of the sub-sonic .308 round. It's great and all, but I can shoot regular ammo and be just as happy. Granted, the Remington 700 suppressed is really quiet, in fact I would say quieter than the 300 BO (maybe because of the length of the barrel in the 700 is longer). But that's just my subjective opinion.

There's no action noise on the Remington 700 and that's a rather large source of the noticeable noise when suppressed.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I shoot supers through my260 T3 suppressed all the time..... really takes the edge off. The AR blackout still makes me giggle on occasion though..... HTH

I love them both.....

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Having a Gemtech HVT in .308, I will attest to it's function on rifles chambered in .223 and .308, get the .300 blkout.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Uuuh.

BOTH

Different rifles for different uses. .300 BlkOut SBR suppressed makes a GREAT HD rifle.

.308 bolt gun suppressed with do all sorts of fun stuff. Nothing like banging steel at 1000 yards with no hearing protection. :)

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    What are You going to Do With it? That would determine my path. I have a 300 BO and a new Sharps Rifle Co. 25-45 set up for the AAC 7.62 SD-N . So it is flexible.

Bootknife has a great point though, what do you plan on doing with it? My experience is so far limited to sighting my optics. Still, I vote for 300 BO since the question is related to the suppressor.

Mostly just casual shooting. The Rem 700 would be my introduction to precision, long range shooting, something i'm not really into. I'm happy throwing up a silhouette target at 20 yards and shooting center mass all day.

Uuuh.

BOTH

Different rifles for different uses. .300 BlkOut SBR suppressed makes a GREAT HD rifle.

.308 bolt gun suppressed with do all sorts of fun stuff. Nothing like banging steel at 1000 yards with no hearing protection. :)

I'll have both eventually. Just need to figure out which first.

I think I'm going to build the AR lower I have into a .300 pistol and SBR it.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I'm in the fence about getting a .30 can at the moment. Do I need it? No. Do I want it so I could build more rifles and buy a bolt action? Yes. Lol. Choices

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you get the Rem 700 for long range shooting, I suggest a longer barrel than 18". When reaching out a long way, even another 100 fps is good.

I shoot my Rem 700 suppressed with supersonic ammo. Nice to be able to shoot without hearing protection.

There are no US standards for impulse noise, but the Canadians limit it to 150 or 200 impulses per day, under 140 dB. Suppressed .308 is in the 130 dB range, so I just shoot less than 150 rounds per day. :)

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Uuuh.

BOTH

Pinecone for the win! I got both.

I bought the rifle first. Picked up the 300blk upper when I picked up the can to complete the AR pistol.

The AR pistol in .300blk with suppressed subs is a hoot. I have yet to shoot the Rem700 though. Still need to get some glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom