Wear gloves while using petroleum products.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wearing gloves while cleaning guns or using petroleum products.

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    I don't think I've ever worn gloves when cleaning or servicing any guns. And I hardly ever, if at all, use them when doing any kind of automotive work. Not out of ignorance or being stubborn, but I prefer to be able to really feel what I'm working on. I feel more confident in noticing a problem without gloves.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    My father died of Multiple Myeloma, a cancer often associated with exposure to benzene, basically, gas.

He was directly exposed to it to a great extent early in his life, though the cancer didn't get him until he was 76.

I second the OP; wear gloves, period.

Organic chemists used to literally wash their hands in benzene even up to the early 1980s. The thinking was since the molecule had essentially no functionality it was harmless. It went from being a ubiquitous solvent to a pretty rare one just because of its toxicity.

Sleepy

Jan 19, 2013
    Maybelline and Vaseline are petro products... Just sayin.

Actually Vaseline has been processed and refined to make it non-toxic. That's why they use it on babies and burn victims. The worst petroleum jelly can do is clog your pores.

Now I not sure about Maybelline, it does start with 'Maybe'

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Unless it is a cancer specific to a chemical he was working with that's not related in any way to any other risk factor, there's not really a valid way he can say that the skin exposure to gun cleaner was the cause of his cancer. He's pretty much just looking for a "why me?" and his brain settled on gun chemicals as a reason he's comfortable with.... but it doesn't make it true. How many people 20 years ago would stare you in the eyes and earnestly say that there won't be any more glaciers in 5 years? Just because they reallllly reallly think it's true, doesn't make it true. Did he spend time in traffic? How does he know the exhaust pipes in front of him weren't the source of the carcinogen that triggered his cancer?

since knowledge is power, just check out the MSDS for whatever product you're using...for instance....
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/MSDS/MSDS00029/77486207-20100925.PDF
    Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 23.33.22.jpg

..sooo breakfree CLP is not carcinogenic when clean. Of course once arsenic, lead, and other stuff gets carried into it, it's not as good for you.

I personally don't wear gloves, but I do thoroughly wash up my arms after handling guns, and change my clothes before hanging out with my sons... mostly because of the heavy metals and their effects on developing nervous systems.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    i have tried to wear gloves whether working on the car or a gun. my issue is for the proper tactile feedback the gloves are too thin and rip, if I go thicker I am always clumsy and takes me twice as long and 4 times the cursing to get it done since my sense of feel is so degraded.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Two interesting facts. The Romans used lead pipes, real plumbing.

Roman_baths_lead_pipes_02.jpg

Toxins on the hands were a thing back in Ben Franklins time. He was once asked to examine some men who lost use of their hands, he discovered that they all had worked in printing mills, and had regular exposure to lead on their hands in the chemicals used in printing of that era.

http://www.themadscienceblog.com/2014/03/scientific-exploits-of-ben-franklin.html

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    I'm not a doctor or a scientist but I do wear nitrile gloves while cleaning my firearms.

Wearing gloves is an important safety precaution, particularly with solvents like Gun Scrubber. I just got done using Gun Scrubber and powder blast. Both of them actually ate through the nitrile gloves. I had to change gloves three times during cleaning. If a chemical eats surgical gloves imagine the damage it will do to your body.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'm not a doctor or a scientist but I do wear nitrile gloves while cleaning my firearms.

Wearing gloves is an important safety precaution, particularly with solvents like Gun Scrubber. I just got done using Gun Scrubber and powder blast. Both of them actually ate through the nitrile gloves. I had to change gloves three times during cleaning. If a chemical eats surgical gloves imagine the damage it will do to your body.

Excellent point.

Let's take a quick look at Gun Scrubber's safety data-sheet:
    https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/geta...hetic-Safe-Gun-Scrubber-Aerosol-2010.pdf.aspx

Here are a couple excerpts:

Section 311/312:Immediate Health Effects: Yes
    Delayed Health Effects: Yes
    Fire Hazard: Yes
    Sudden Release of Pressure Hazard: Yes
    Reactivity Hazard: No
    Section 313 Reportable Ingredients: n-hexane

EXPOSURE CONTROL / PERSONAL PROTECTION

RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: Use a NIOSH approved respirator (Full or half-face supplied-air or organic vapor cartridge type) if any of the occupational exposure limits in Section 3 may be exceeded.

EYE PROTECTION: safety glasses with side shields, or goggles

PROTECTIVE GLOVES / BODY PROTECTION: fluoroelastomer (Viton®) or polyvinyalcohol

VENTILATION: Use general/dilution or local exhaust ventilation as needed to ensure that occupational exposure limits are not exceeded. Do not use in enclosed spaces.

OTHER PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT: Eyewash

NOTE: All PPE should be selected on the basis of an exposure assessment performed by a competent person.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

how do you feel about a compound that can dissolve rock, and is called the universal solvent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom