• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    For anyone on the fence, I picked one up last week and did my first lower with it last weekend. I normally use a traditional jig on my tabletop mill, but the 5d jig was faster with at least as good results. I was truly shocked at how nice the finish was, how easy it was and how fast. Worth every penny in my humble opinion.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    For anyone on the fence, I picked one up last week and did my first lower with it last weekend. I normally use a traditional jig on my tabletop mill, but the 5d jig was faster with at least as good results. I was truly shocked at how nice the finish was, how easy it was and how fast. Worth every penny in my humble opinion.

Seconded. Much easier than my mill.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I saw one of these at dulles, they look legit. Just need a router and that's pretty much it? Sorry I know...google is my friend, but not at work lol.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I saw one of these at dulles, they look legit. Just need a router and that's pretty much it? Sorry I know...google is my friend, but not at work lol.

Router and router specific tool kit - if you pick up a reconditioned Dewalt that is recommended you can get both for under $150.

And, thank you to Teratos for clueing me into this jig in another thread!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Router and router specific tool kit - if you pick up a reconditioned Dewalt that is recommended you can get both for under $150.

And, thank you to Teratos for clueing me into this jig in another thread!

:thumbsup: Glad to help! Sorry about your wallet. ;)

tttongli

Oct 3, 2008
    HOWARD
    What's the street price fro these kits? They are listed at ~$300 on 5D's website. With that kind of money, you end up with a special purpose jig. Unless you have a ton of lowers to finish, I'd just add a couple hundreds and get a harbor freight mill which can do other things.

Just my $0.02.

What's the street price fro these kits? They are listed at ~$300 on 5D's website. With that kind of money, you end up with a special purpose jig. Unless you have a ton of lowers to finish, I'd just add a couple hundreds and get a harbor freight mill which can do other things.

Just my $0.02.

If you're like many of us once you do one you will do more. The jig can do PCC lowers and I think it will also do AR10 lowers so although it's a special purpose jig, you can do multiple types of lowers and build dozens of different calibers and configurations. Currently I am building a 6.8 SPC, a 300 BO pistol and another complete lower for either a .458 socom or maybe a .350 win legend if I can find an upper that doesn't make me take out a 2nd mortgage..

EDIT: after writing this I found a 350 win complete upper from Bear Creek for $229 so it will be a 350

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville

Just my $0.02.

If you're like many of us once you do one you will do more. The jig can do PCC lowers and I think it will also do AR10 lowers so although it's a special purpose jig, you can do multiple types of lowers and build dozens of different calibers and configurations. Currently I am building a 6.8 SPC, a 300 BO pistol and another complete lower for either a .458 socom or maybe a .350 win legend if I can find an upper that doesn't make me take out a 2nd mortgage..

EDIT: after writing this I found a 350 win complete upper from Bear Creek for $229 so it will be a 350

I have a mill. The time is more and the end mills aren’t cheap. And the more I look at the finished results on the 5d completed lower I think it is actually a better finished result then my mill will accomplish. And like Muleskinner said, the jig will do pretty much any armalite lower (-15, -9, -10, etc). It is twice the cost of a “standard jig” but it does far more than any standard jig for a mill because of the sheer range of lowers it will complete.

Muleskinner, 350 legend eh? I am doing a 458 socom for this latest lower, but I have been hearing more and more about 350 legend. Do you have a big bore already or are you opting for 350 rather than going big bore?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a mill. The time is more and the end mills aren’t cheap. And the more I look at the finished results on the 5d completed lower I think it is actually a better finished result then my mill will accomplish. And like Muleskinner said, the jig will do pretty much any armalite lower (-15, -9, -10, etc). It is twice the cost of a “standard jig” but it does far more than any standard jig for a mill because of the sheer range of lowers it will complete.

Muleskinner, 350 legend eh? I am doing a 458 socom for this latest lower, but I have been hearing more and more about 350 legend. Do you have a big bore already or are you opting for 350 rather than going big bore?

I think the 5D does a better job than my mill. I can knock out an 80% in under 40 minutes.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    I also have the 5d jig and really like it. Just a heads up that Modulus Arms has one that looks exactly like the 5d but at a somewhat lower cost. Found it poking around arfcom. Linky https://www.modulusarms.com/

No affiliation, I've never tried it, or even seen it in person. Pics look virtually identical to 5d except for the color.

I've done two lowers so far and likely a few more at some point. I had never done anything like this before so there was a bit of a learning curve. My advice, take your time, go slow, deliberate and gentle with the router. Even taking it slow doesn't take much more than an hour to finish one. Turns out my router didn't fully tighten when adjusting the jig so I ended up wasting my sacrificial blem lower. Fortunately, I did figure out the problem before long. And, as the saying goes, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I also have the 5d jig and really like it. Just a heads up that Modulus Arms has one that looks exactly like the 5d but at a somewhat lower cost. Found it poking around arfcom. Linky https://www.modulusarms.com/

No affiliation, I've never tried it, or even seen it in person. Pics look virtually identical to 5d except for the color.

I've done two lowers so far and likely a few more at some point. I had never done anything like this before so there was a bit of a learning curve. My advice, take your time, go slow, deliberate and gentle with the router. Even taking it slow doesn't take much more than an hour to finish one. Turns out my router didn't fully tighten when adjusting the jig so I ended up wasting my sacrificial blem lower. Fortunately, I did figure out the problem before long. And, as the saying goes, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it.

Modulus Arms is like a version upgrade from the 5D, there are some differences, and if you have noticed or haven't Modulus Arms went Silent,some
    time back Then 5D brought out theirs. Got the 80% Arms, 5D, and the M.A. Prefer the Modulus vs. the others. The Modulus does 10's, 9's, 15 lowers
    no problems, when used with a DEWALT DWP611 router, Tap Magic Aluminum, just my experience, .02 worth, have moved on from Ar's and Poly builds.
    Have fun, be safe and enjoy.....

-Rock
    (-off-))

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom