• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Who makes a good .22 convertion for an AR. Especially one I might find on sale for black Friday.

First choice would be an entire upper, second a drop-in for a ,223 upper, and the long shot, a left handed conversion.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I've never read anything bad about their 22 conversions other than .223 and .22LR bullets have different barrel diameters so you end up with some accuracy issues. I just went with the dedicated upper since all the parts were made to function together from the factory

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I've never read anything bad about their 22 conversions other than .223 and .22LR bullets have different barrel diameters so you end up with some accuracy issues. I just went with the dedicated upper since all the parts were made to function together from the factory

My first choice would be a dedicated upper. But the wife shoots LH and has a LH AR. It would be nice to have her rifle able to plink cheap ammo. So a little shift in accuracy isn't a big deal as long as there is no harm to the upper.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I believe the accuracy is based on the barrel twist rates. Most 223/5.56 NATO is 1:7 to 1:9, while most 22LR is 1:12 to 1:14. Some ARs were 1:12, but they went with a faster twist rate for heavier bullets. As your comment mentioned, a dedicated upper is set up for 22LR, versus using an existing faster twist 223/5.56 NATO upper. With that said, did you want accuracy or convenience?

Q

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I believe the accuracy is based on the barrel twist rates. Most 223/5.56 NATO is 1:7 to 1:9, while most 22LR is 1:12 to 1:14. Some ARs were 1:12, but they went with a faster twist rate for heavier bullets. As your comment mentioned, a dedicated upper is set up for 22LR, versus using an existing faster twist 223/5.56 NATO upper. With that said, did you want accuracy or convenience?

Q

This would be for short range plinking. I have other .22 rifles for accuracy. So a fun gun. The only thing is I would like to shot it suppressed, so having the bullet come out in a very straight line is paramount. Ruining a can pretty much eliminates any fun factor.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    CMMG does a good job on their kits but be careful using them in a gun that you will switch back to 5.56.

Lead buildup in the bore can cause high operating pressure. The lead .22 projectiles can also block the gas port and gas system.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    There was a time when the 22 upper concept made a lot of sense. Today I think there is a simpler alternative. I bought a M&P 15-22.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    CMMG does a good job on their kits but be careful using them in a gun that you will switch back to 5.56.

Lead buildup in the bore can cause high operating pressure. The lead .22 projectiles can also block the gas port and gas system.

I learned a lot about lead build up shooting Thunderbolt rounds in a new 22/45. Didn't think I'd ever get that barrel cleaned out. I'll watch for that. Are the inserts OK for suppressors?

There was a time when the 22 upper concept made a lot of sense. Today I think there is a simpler alternative. I bought a M&P 15-22.

I looked at that. Pricing is a bit under a dedicated upper, but way more than an insert. Haven't found anything on sale. :envy:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The 15-22 is a better choice than a conversion. The 15-22 is always better than a complete .22 upper.

The only way where a conversion kit is not a better choice is when you have a limited budget (conversion it is half the price of a 15-22) or you have a SBR/R.R. Lower.

I would not shoot .22 with a conversiom kit unless you know 100% that the barrel stabilizes the projectiles.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You can use AR FCG's (LaRue MBT's work well in 15-22's), AR Grips, AR Collapsible Buttstocks, AR Muzzle Devices, and AR Sights/Optics in 15-22's

I can't recall if the AR Magazine Release is 15-22 compatible.

Last edited:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I love both of my complete, .22-dedicated CMMG uppers.

The drop-in conversion kits are pretty good, but if you can afford it go dedicated upper... the bump in accuracy and any possibility of lead buildup around the gas port offset the cost. Plus the sites are already zero'd in for the caliber.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

If you have a NFA lower the cmmg 22 upper is a better choice. I assembled my own from a CMMG bolt + barrel kit. Runs great w Black Dog mags and drums. (are there any drums avail for the M&P?) Since the cmmg doesn't require a buffer tube, a pistol build is a hoot too.

Loading AR22 mags is easy and blazing fast w/ a McFadden lightnin' grip loader. Adapters avail for the M&P too.

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    You can use AR FCG's (LaRue MBT's work well in 15-22's), AR Grips, AR Collapsible Buttstocks, AR Muzzle Devices, and AR Sights/Optics in 15-22's

I can't recall if the AR Magazine Release is 15-22 compatible.

Yes the mag release on the 15-22 is compatible. I installed a seekins mag release and a norgon ambi mag catch.

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    I have both a 15-22 and a dedicated CMMG 22 upper. I much prefer the dedicated upper for 2 reasons. The CMMG dedicated upper is much more accurate and a lot more reliable . I ended up sending the 15-22 back to Smith & Wesson 2 times because it was a continually jamming no matter what ammo I used.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have both a 15-22 and a dedicated CMMG 22 upper. I much prefer the dedicated upper for 2 reasons. The CMMG dedicated upper is much more accurate and a lot more reliable . I ended up sending the 15-22 back to Smith & Wesson 2 times because it was a continually jamming no matter what ammo I used.

You do have a good point. Rifles like the 15-22, and even the 10/22 can be problematic. They can be improved but the factory rarely gets it right. Most of the reliability issues with the two platforms are issues with the feed ramps finish, a rough/sharp throat mouth, rough chamber, and the extractor geometry.

Conversion kits and dedicated uppers can suffer from the same issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom