• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I wonder if this ruling can or will be applied retroactively..?? ie. anyone who purchased an 80% lower then finished it using rented or borrowed equipment prior to this ruling becoming law.

It depends if this is an interpretation of a pre-existing law, or if this is a new rule. If it is new, then it cannot be applied retroactively because of ex post facto. If the act was legal when it was committed, it cannot be made illegal after the fact.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    Out of curiosity, what prevents me from giving Joe Smith 20 bucks, getting a bill of sale, using his stuff to build the weapon, then selling it back with a bill of sale?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I don't think you can do real milling with this unit. It doesn't look like it could handle a blank of aluminum, nor have the power to mill that blank into a lower. Just my opinion.

Jim Smith

Fine for mild woodworking, lettering, engraving, etc...

Worthless as a milling machine for metal.

I would not say worthless, just extremely time consuming, I am willing to bet that you could do it with a bit of effort made to increase the rigidity and by making more passes... after all, if I could do it on this piece of crap, then I am sure that you could do it with a dremel tool if you had sufficient patience.

Attachments

• image_1125.jpg
      image_1125.jpg
      14.6 KB · Views: 188

Sting

Member, League the Armed
    Apr 28, 2013
    Rockville
    OMG, I lent my neighbor a screwdriver. I got to go over and see that he is not building an AR with it. Does ATF provide a release form I could ask him to sign?

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    It mentions "business" a lot in it. So, I am guessing the casual individual that lends tools to a buddy for the buddy to complete an AR build is not in violation of this ruling unless the buddy charges rent.

I bet this ruling is the result of people that had CnC machines set up for people to "rent" them. The renter would merely press a button and then next thing you know, they have a milled lower that they made. Hence, no serial numbers or transfer issues.
    I agree. This is what they are addressing, albeit in a broad-brush manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom