Light Primer Strike/Failure to Fire on Savage Axis?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Hello,

My Savage Axis 30-06 has stopped firing reliably. I think it is due to light primer strikes, but I'm really no expert in this. I have tried several different ammo varieties to rule that out. I don't have easy access to a rifle range, so I have only shot ~300 rounds since buying it two years ago. I had no trouble at all for those 300 rounds, then last year at the end of the deer firearms season I finally had a nice whitetail in my sights and *CLICK*

I figured my ammo had just gotten wet or something, but when I finally got the rifle out to a range again in August I found it would only fire about 30% of the time. When it doesn't fire there is a dimple on the brass, but no bang.

I always clean and lubricate my firearms after using them. Last year before the hunting season I fully disassembled the bolt for the first time and cleaned all of the parts. I was careful to leave only a very light coating of oil (Ballistol) on the various parts. The bolt is not loose or anything while in the closed position.

I have contacted Savage but haven't heard back yet. I did some Googling and this seems to be a fairly common issue, but I haven't found a clear resolution yet. I also tried searching this site since this is probably a common issue here too, but didn't find a thread on this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

TL;DR

Rifle: Savage Axis 30-06 Bolt Action (manufactured 2011)

Problem: Light Primer Strikes/Failure to Fire

Ammo Tested: Remington Core Lock (180 and 165 gr), Fusion (150 gr) Winchester (180 gr)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You can adjust the firing pin protrusion depth, if you haven't done it before, let a gunsmith or Savage take care of that for you.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks. I have adjusted firing pin protrusion on my Mosin Nagant, which was easy with that all-in-one tool that comes with it. I wonder if it's pretty simple on a Savage as well. I have a basic gun-safe screwdriver set.

I'll wait to hear from Savage and then maybe have them take care of it or else visit a gunsmith. I just called Northern Virginia Gunworks and they said they could take care of it for me but with their operating hours I'd have to take off of work to bring it in, and I need my vacation days for hunting. I'm 32 days out from my first hunt so I'm hoping to get this taken care of pretty soon.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Slightly different beast, but it is do-able.

http://www.switchbarrel.com/Spring.htm - They briefly mention how to setup/adjust the firing pin protrusion.

.45" seems to be preferred by some so the pin doesn't pierce primers on high-pressure loads, .60" appears to be what others prefer.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Savage responded within two days and emailed me a UPS shipping paper.

I sent the rifle to them on Friday via UPS. I went to the big UPS center in Alexandria, VA, one of the few in my area that can handle firearms. The clerk made it unnecessarily awkward.

I waited in line with my shipping paper. Once it was my turn, I quietly told her that I have a shipping paper from a manufacturer to send a rifle in for repair, and that I've got the unloaded rifle in my car in a case and just need to purchase a large box to put it in. I told her I wasn't shipping any ammunition, just the rifle for repair. I told her I'd like to box it up in the parking lot and bring it back in.

Her response: "YOU HAVE A RIFLE?!" She said this loudly so that the other 8 or 10 customers in the store heard it and naturally probably felt a little weird. I said "Yes, it's in its case in my car and I need a box. I've shipped firearms for service before and it's no big deal. I was specifically told by UPS to come to this store." She was super flustered, so I asked if there was a supervisor who might be more comfortable handling my shipment. She then indignantly pointed out that she is the supervisor. Ha!

I put the cased rifle in a box in the parking lot and taped it up really well. I then brought it in and handed her the shipping paper, my ID and a copy of the UPS firearm tariff regs that I'd printed from their website. She rudely asked me "what's this for?" in reference to my ID. So I put it away and took the regs back.

She then took the box and it looks like it went out without any problems. The tracking number says it's on its way to the factory in MA. I'll report back on how Savage handles the repair. They estimated a three week turn around.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    This is a bit generous and I'd probably start at about .045".

:lol2: Just a bit generous. :lol2:

I'm a very visual thinker. Anything I read or hear is reflexively pictured in my mind. Picturing a .45" protrusion cracked me up.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    --yeah, just very unprofessional all around. I am going to file a report with the company because as a customer I expect better treatment.

--but first I'll wait to get my rifle back :)

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I've never felt the need to advise any shipping company employee that I was shipping a firearm. (I base that on having a few friends who are supervisors with various shippers as well as locking up a couple shipping company employees over the last 2-1/2 decades!)

I always declare or advise anyone who needs to know the items in the box are "machined parts" or (my favorite) "paper punching tools."

I also never write the name of a manufacturer on a label. Just make double darn sure the address is correct and abbreviate the name (e.g., S, R Inc = Sturm, Ruger; etc.)

In over 30 years (and a sh*tload of guns shipped!), never a problem . . .

And, I wish you the very best of success, too! :thumbsup:

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Ugh....libtards...

I've never felt the need to advise any shipping company employee that I was shipping a firearm. (I base that on having a few friends who are supervisors with various shippers as well as locking up a couple shipping company employees over the last 2-1/2 decades!)

I always declare or advise anyone who needs to know the items in the box are "machined parts" or (my favorite) "paper punching tools."

I also never write the name of a manufacturer on a label. Just make double darn sure the address is correct and abbreviate the name (e.g., S, R Inc = Sturm, Ruger; etc.)

In over 30 years (and a sh*tload of guns shipped!), never a problem . . .

And, I wish you the very best of success, too! :thumbsup:

Interesting. I was under the impression that I had to inform the shipper. The label was pre-printed for me and said SAVAGE ARMS on it. I'll let you all know what happens. I really don't like sending guns out for repair. I had to send out my S&W Model 29 last year and I sort of worried about it constantly until it got back to me. Then again, the S&W cost me like 3x as much as the Savage rifle.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Never suggested they not be informed. Just re-read the verbiage I have always used to satisfy 'inform', and to avoid ignorance from the opposite side of the shipping counter . . .

Again, best o' success!

PS - another technique I've come to rely on is to place a pre-addressed, pre-stamped postcard to myself "We got it!" to make it easy for the receiver to ease my mind as to whether my piece reached them or not. Works goooood!

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Update: on Friday I recieved a large, rifle sized box from UPS, but alas I was blue balled. It was just the case that I sent it in. They mailed it back separately.

But then yesterday, (10/27) the rifle came back! I don't know if the problem is fixed or not yet but the packing slip said they'd replaced a part, checked head space, test fired it, and cleaned it. The bolt sure looks clean but I can't tell if they replaced the firing pin or anything. I'll get out to the range one night this week or next to test it out and make sure my sights are still on. Assuming it's good to go, I received very good service from Savage.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Update: I took the rifle to the range last night and shot 20 rounds with no misfires. I have no idea what they did but it worked! The packing slip just said that they replaced a part. I only had to make a two click adjustment to the scope after all the traveling it did. Can't wait to take it hunting next weekend!

Bottom line, Savage provided excellent service. This was a "budget" rifle so perhaps one of the parts wasn't perfectly machined, but since they fixed it at no charge I'm still very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom