• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Lowes has a 4pack of quick clamps 2 of each size and 2 quick grip alligator clips on sale sometimes for like 30 bucks. Bought 4 of those packs and they work wonders. It really is like having extra sets of hands.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Nice.

That is not plywood, that is chipboard. Not as sturdy as plywood.

I make my benches out of actual 1/2" ply, and in most cases, a double layer.

Glue all joints as well as screw. Yellow carpenter's glue works perfectly for this.

For the surface I either epoxy paint or put laminate on it. If you are going to pound on it, epoxy is better. For reloading, I used matt white laminate.

Navyblue

May 30, 2013
    Calvert
    Great job and a super nice workbench. I got a 4 car garage that would love to house one of those and thanks for the link.

missing_the_cheese

Dec 29, 2012
    Perry Hall
    Very nice... looks similar to my creation from last weekend just with a plan! Admittedly mine was fueled by a desire to hide from the family on a saturday afternoon and a few sips of Mr. Boh.
    photo-16_zpsbda30d43.jpg.html

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    Great job.

After using something similar for about 25 years, here are a few improvements.

First, get some finish grade plywood, about a half inch thick. Not subflooring oriented strandboard. True plywood from veneered wood, with some sort of decent outer layer. Cut it so you have a piece about a foot wide, and long enough to span the length of the bench. Use true wood screws, drill holes and counter-sink the heads, and screw that across the two front legs at the very top, as a wider and stronger front apron. It will keep the bench from racking from side to side, as if you had diagonal bracing.

Second, replace the top with two by sixes cut to length of the table, with several inches of overlap beyond the base sides. Best to rip or plane the rounded edges off of the boards so the seams are more flush. Best yet to glue them up together, but not strickly necessary. Counter-sink the heads of the screws used to screw them down.

Third, IF you want to use it for any woodworking, as I do, get at least one of these:

http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/90407a-md.jpg

That is a bench dog. Drill a hole or two in the top of the bench in strategic locations. The hole needs to be an eighth inch bigger than the post of the bench dog. If you slip the dog into the hole and drop the clamp head down onto something you are working on, and give the top of the clamp a light tap with a hammer, the dog post will seize up in the hole and clamp your work down. It releases quickly and easily with a light hammer tap on the back of the dog.

Get some clamps that you can use to clamp work along the front of the new apron. You can use that to hand plane boards, etc. For this, I found it useful to take some 1 inch square stock, about 3 or 4 inches long, and just hand whittle down the square end into a tapered round end on one side. Drill some holes in the front apron to fit those pegs. Use a light hammer tap to set the pegs, and they are useful to support work across the front of the bench, held tightly by a clamp.

Just a few thoughts from experience.

Enjoy your bench. It will last you a lifetime.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Nice design and good job...

Great job.

After using something similar for about 25 years, here are a few improvements.

First, get some finish grade plywood, about a half inch thick. Not subflooring oriented strandboard. ...[clip]...

Just a few thoughts from experience.

Enjoy your bench. It will last you a lifetime.

What he said but I add a layer of masonite hardboard on top of the work surface. Then you can get by with less costly OSB board underneath. Tack the hardboard down at the corners so you can easily replace it if it becomes cut up, scarred or otherwise boogered up.

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    I'm half way there. Got the truck, just need the space to set it up. I don't mind helping anyone pick up lumber if they want to do this project.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    I used the same plans, just tweaked them a little to suit. The best thing I did was put a strip of inch angle iron on the leading edge. Protects the edge and give you a handy solid edge

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    Nice design and good job...

What he said but I add a layer of masonite hardboard on top of the work surface. Then you can get by with less costly OSB board underneath. Tack the hardboard down at the corners so you can easily replace it if it becomes cut up, scarred or otherwise boogered up.

+1, I'd use OSB for storage but not a top layer for a work bench.

Bench looks good though

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom