• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Integrity

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Found these plans on the interwebs and decided to give it try.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/works...ld-a-workbench-super-simple-50-bench/view-all

At the Home Depot in Columbia the cost of the build materials set me back $75 instead of $50, and that was with a 7/16" sheet of plywood instead of 1/2". I went with a slightly thinner plywood sheet to save money, but I also added another layer later on. Everything fits into the back of a small pickup truck rather nicely, even one with a tiny 4ft bed.

2v9qcs1.jpg

However, you may be able to get the folks at Home Depot to do all of your cutting for you. I'd recommend this as long as they don't charge an arm and a leg. It'll make transport easier, and it'll save 2-3 labor hours. Which is about how long it took me to do this with a circular saw and saw horse.

r79252.jpg

Assembly will go quicker with two drills. One with a drill bit, the other with a screwdriver tip. I'd also recommend spending a little bit more on the square head screws. They are infinitely easier to drive in than phillips head screws. Here's how the base looked after about an hour of assembly.

5fp7pd.jpg

The top shelf took about another 30 minutes.

mvohp5.jpg

After moving the bench into the garage using a crawler, I added the pegboard across the back and hardboard over the top of the plywood. The hardboard gives the table top a nice smooth surface to work on, and is cheap and easy to replace. After a few years of abuse, replacing the hardboard for less then $10 will essentially give you a whole new work bench.

The overhead lamp and bulbs was another $20. Add a pegboard kit and the total cost for everything was around $140. Still a bargain compared to buying something of equal size. The bench is very stable and level.

8zlog9.jpg

Add a decent table vise and you now have the perfect place to clean and do minor work to your AR. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Integrity

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Thanks for the kind words guys. One more word of advice, get two boxes of 3" screws. I had to run back to Home Depot during the middle of the build because I had run out.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Very nice -- thanks for posting the pictures, link and lessons learned.

I need a work bench and think I'll build one <inside> the closet in my office so it will be out of sight. Space is going to waste now and since i don't have room in the garage and won't put it in the basement where we entertain, the only place left is my office.

I'll need to add power for the light - but that shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks again

Integrity

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Columbia, MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca